Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
    I said this the other day, but i went to a home game against the padres on a saturday where we were on a winning streak and had just gotten back over .500 and into the playoff hunt and there were maybe 15,000 people there.
    That's not winning. Winning a couple games or being above .500 in the season isn't winning. This market will support teams that are championship contenders and that's basically about it, unless you build enough good will where enough fans will stay through lean years.

The Heat have the best fan base probably in South Florida and the fan base almost universally trusts in the front office enough to believe they will always more or less be in contention and now even they have bad crowds. But the building was sold out during the LeBron years and after, and same goes for the Canes when they were undefeated compared to recent years before this one.

The Marlins have never had a team that looked like it could actually win and did, and the one year they did in 1997, they tore the team down immediately so we never actually could see if a fanbase would develop. And the crowds in 2012 were actually great until about mid-season. You can say that was the ballpark but I don't think so, since the team was winning when the crowds were good.

Comment

• Are they going to wait until Ozuna actually passes his physical before they announce who is in the trade?

Comment

• Originally posted by flamarlins93 View Post
        Are they going to wait until Ozuna actually passes his physical before they announce who is in the trade?
        the only thing i can think of is that they acquired someone in another country or something like that and dont want to leak the names to the media unless they contact the guys personally. But 3 of them? I find it hard to believe that 3 guys are unable to be contacted for so long at this point.

Comment

• Nightengale and Crasnick are reporting Yelich isn't available. That's good news at least.

Comment

• [tweet]941046796457009153[/tweet]

Comment

• Jon Heyman‏Verified account
              @JonHeyman
              Following Following @JonHeyman
              More
              Marlins are regrouping now and plan to talk to Christian Yelich about how he feels about staying. He’s frustrated to see 3 best friends/top players go. So he may say he wants to go, which may trigger trade of him, too.
              Dont care if he says he wants to go, dont trade him because he is upset. If you get a deal you feel is great, sure, maybe decide to move him, but moving him because he is upset in the midst of a firesale would be dumb.

Comment

• Every player left on the team should come out and say they don't want to be there. I saw this coming after Jeter's comments that if a player doesn't want to be there they would work on that. All these comments do is lose the team leverage in trades because all the other teams know they don't want to be there and that the Marlins will accept less if that is what is offered.

Comment

• [tweet]941050840831483904[/tweet]

Comment

• Ken Rosenthal‏Verified account @Ken_Rosenthal · 1m1 minute ago
                    #Marlins prez of bb ops Michael Hill did not rule out moving Yelich on @MLBNetwork: “As we look to build, look at whatever opportunities there are to make things better . . . we need to add depth to our system and put ourselves in position to win on a consistent basis.”

Ken Rosenthal‏Verified account @Ken_Rosenthal · 43s43 seconds ago
                    As noted by @JonHeyman, #Marlins plan to talk to Yelich to gauge his sentiments about staying with a stripped-down club. Possible Yelich will want to stay. More likely he will want to follow his friends Stanton and Ozuna and leave Miami.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                      Nightengale and Crasnick are reporting Yelich isn't available. That's good news at least.
                      Honestly at this point why keep him?

So he can be around when we make a run at the Wild Card in 2021.

The ONLY reason to keep Yelich is these fuck sticks might not get back a BA Top 50 prospect for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                        Honestly at this point why keep him?

So he can be around when we make a run at the Wild Card in 2021.

The ONLY reason to keep Yelich is these fuck sticks might not get back a BA Top 50 prospect for him.
                        Yes. You keep him for 20-22 when you're hopefully good again. You keep him to be the leader of the young team. It's his his team now. I'm sure he is bummed, but he isn't an idiot and they can break it down for him what they expect to do with the young pitchers so it makes sense to him. Like he thinks they were going to contend anways with Conley and Peters the # 3 and 4 SP?

It's also bad precedent to trade a player because he is sad his friends left, but that goes without saying. That would actually be the worst thing to do.

Would also help if they bought out Realmuto for 5 years. Shows there is a plan in place and it's not solely paying back the debt and figuring it out after.

Comment

• Looks like Isaac Galloway is finally going to be an everyday major leaguer. lol

- - - - - - - - - -

I still think they are going to trade Realmuto as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                            Yes. You keep him for 20-22 when you're hopefully good again. You keep him to be the leader of the young team. It's his his team now. I'm sure he is bummed, but he isn't an idiot and they can break it down for him what they expect to do with the young pitchers so it makes sense to him. Like he thinks they were going to contend anways with Conley and Peters the # 3 and 4 SP?

It's also bad precedent to trade a player because he is sad his friends left, but that goes without saying. That would actually be the worst thing to do.

Would also help if they bought out Realmuto for 5 years. Shows there is a plan in place and it's not solely paying back the debt and figuring it out after.

I watch enough Marlins baseball to know that while he’s very talented, Christian Yelich is shy -and a bit awkward - and he does not possess leadership qualities.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post

Yelich is not going to want to stay here. He’d have to be a masochist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                                I watch enough Marlins baseball to know that while he’s very talented, Christian Yelich is shy -and a bit awkward - and he does not possess leadership qualities.
                                He can be the "lead by example" type.

Comment

Working...
                                X