No announcement yet.

Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just looked at Alcantara's stats again and he walked 54 batters in 125 innings. Really hoping he isn't the big get kinda bummed they got him at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
      If we do trade Yelich to the braves, start off with Albies and then get 2-3 of their top starters and id be cool with that. I think Albies is gonna be a star and their pitching prospects might be the best in baseball.
      Albies is following a very similar prospect path as Jurickson Profar at the age of 20. Not meant to be either a positive or negative statement, just kind of interesting.

Comment

• They won't get Albies. lol Wishful thinking and betting they won't give up their best 2-3 pitching prospects if we deal with them.

Comment

• So obviously they'll be 95-100+ team next season and might as well be in 2019 as well, but I feel as if they'll be confused why they're still losing 90+ games beyond 2019 and why they still can't get any progress in terms of building a fan base and then have to seriously think about selling the franchise again.

They thought people were gonna come to the park just because Jeter's name is attached? Hey I think they actually would have if he didn't destroy all the good will.

There's only one way baseball is going to work here and we've all known this forever and it's you need a rich guy that doesn't care about losing money or they might as well just relocate and stop wasting our god damn time.

- - - - - - - - - -

We are the Cleveland Browns

- - - - - - - - - -

That's where I'm at with this. I would legit rather not have a franchise then watch this team flail about for the next five years talking about how they're trying to be the next Astros because they won't.

Comment

• Originally posted by flamarlins93 View Post
            They won't get Albies. lol Wishful thinking and betting they won't give up their best 2-3 pitching prospects if we deal with them.
            Yeah it's clear the Marlins are ultimately devaluing their prospects by making it known they're desperate to trade them. Teams are taking advantage of a disadvantaged team at the moment. The 'pawn shop' comment by Boras was meant as a dig, but it wasn't all that far off at the moment.

Comment

• At least the Browns will spend money. lol These owners don't have the money to spend. Next year and a few after that it may be a contest to see who can win the most games a year between the Browns and Marlins. Terrible job of evaluating them as owners by MLB.

Comment

• Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
                So obviously they'll be 95-100+ team next season and might as well be in 2019 as well, but I feel as if they'll be confused why they're still losing 90+ games beyond 2019 and why they still can't get any progress in terms of building a fan base and then have to seriously think about selling the franchise again.

They thought people were gonna come to the park just because Jeter's name is attached? Hey I think they actually would have if he didn't destroy all the good will.

There's only one way baseball is going to work here and we've all known this forever and it's you need a rich guy that doesn't care about losing money or they might as well just relocate and stop wasting our god damn time.

- - - - - - - - - -

We are the Cleveland Browns
                Agree completely. That's why I said we needed a Dodgers style rebuild - where we maintain and add to the current core with additional signings (pitching), while rebuilding the farm underneath through drafts and IFAs, and over the course of years transitioning toward a more youthful core and letting the big contracts expire. If you sign some big pitchers and the team still isn't clicking, then you make more drastic moves, but otherwise, that would've had a competitive, in-contention team on the field that people would want to come see. And yeah, it may result in financial losses, but this team, IMO, needed the public image boost that a "we're going to right the ship by keeping everyone instead of following the same firesale Marlins pattern" path would've shown.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                  Agree completely. That's why I said we needed a Dodgers style rebuild - where we maintain and add to the current core with additional signings (pitching), while rebuilding the farm underneath through drafts and IFAs, and over the course of years transitioning toward a more youthful core and letting the big contracts expire. If you sign some big pitchers and the team still isn't clicking, then you make more drastic moves, but otherwise, that would've had a competitive, in-contention team on the field that people would want to come see. And yeah, it may result in financial losses, but this team, IMO, needed the public image boost that a "we're going to right the ship by keeping everyone instead of following the same firesale Marlins pattern" path would've shown.
                  lol, "a dodgers style rebuild." They have by far the most amount of resources in the major leagues.

Comment

• This is the first move where I really have to question just what they organization is trying to accomplish and ask how no one there seems to understand that each move they are making actively sabotages their chances at long term success. It's not just the decision to trade Ozuna, or later Yelich, but it's that they seem to be solely motivated by just getting rid of the dollar amounts and not actually rebuilding. Baseball doesn't want to a set a precedent of telling new owners what they have to do, but I know they can't possibly be happy with this. Especially frustrating when Ozuna and Yelich are cheap in baseball terms.

I mean if baseball broke their backs just to get Jeter a team then this couldn't be what they had in mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post
                      On a totally unrelated note I was looking through the roster and noticed we somehow got Chad Wallach back (who we originally traded to the Reds as part of the Mat Latos trade). Pretty underrated move but I really liked Wallach as a prospect and he could actually contribute at the major league level next year if the team moves on from Realmuto (and as a backup if Realmuto stays).
                      Not a prospect anymore. We got him off waivers-either backup ML C or Starter in AAA. They got Bryan Holaday too

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                        Not a prospect anymore. We got him off waivers-either backup ML C or Starter in AAA. They got Bryan Holaday too
                        Yeah clearly not a prospect just surprised he was available to grab given he's been a solid OBP guy his entire minor league career before last year. Feels like a bargain grab like when the A's poached Mark Canha off the Marlins years ago.

Comment

• One last thing while I'm ranting (it's been awhile so I have a lot of energy) and this is the most hot takey of them I don't understand why we excuse franchises that "rebuild" or "tank" especially in baseball and especially when they don't have to. I'm sorry, shouldn't it be their job, the one Jeter is getting paid $5m a year to do, to be able find cheap players that could supplement the talent they already had?

Like I said, if they wanted to, they could've fielded a team with a $90m payroll next season that would have been good enough to at least warrant consideration, which quite frankly should've been enough, and then peeled back slowly that allowed them to maximize their return and maybe even win something meaningful for once. This just seems like they said "fuck it" like they're bumbling about and don't know how to fix it and that's not ok when it was completely unnecessary, and tells me that they're not going anywhere anytime soon regardless of who they get back in these deals.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                            lol, "a dodgers style rebuild." They have by far the most amount of resources in the major leagues.
                            YOU'RE MISSING MY POINT COMPLETELY.

This market will not support a loser. That's been evident. This market will not support the team rebuilding and having more firesales. Why in the world would anyone want to support a team that just throws their hands up and dumps everyone for nothing. Rebuilding the farm system sounds great.......until they "rebuild" it by who's going to take the most money off our books in the deal. You know, the exact thing Loria did that got us into this mess in the first place. The three trades so far have been terrible, and purely money-saving moves.

I'm a huge fan of the team, but this last week has been completely depressing, and I'll probably watch and attend a lot fewer games going forward. If they made trades that came with consensus "blown away" packages (like the White Sox last year with their moves), I'd feel better about this rebuild. But when they've botched all three trades so far because they wanted who would take the most money (I know they were limited with the Stanton thing, but the way those negotiations were handled were botched), I don't have high hopes.

Comment

• Which I think is what makes this worse than all of the others, at least to me, is because if this is how this ownership group begins, then what makes you think anything will change?

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                                YOU'RE MISSING MY POINT COMPLETELY.

This market will not support a loser. That's been evident. This market will not support the team rebuilding and having more firesales. Why in the world would anyone want to support a team that just throws their hands up and dumps everyone for nothing. Rebuilding the farm system sounds great.......until they "rebuild" it by who's going to take the most money off our books in the deal. You know, the exact thing Loria did that got us into this mess in the first place. The three trades so far have been terrible, and purely money-saving moves.

I'm a huge fan of the team, but this last week has been completely depressing, and I'll probably watch and attend a lot fewer games going forward. If they made trades that came with consensus "blown away" packages (like the White Sox last year with their moves), I'd feel better about this rebuild. But when they've botched all three trades so far because they wanted who would take the most money (I know they were limited with the Stanton thing, but the way those negotiations were handled were botched), I don't have high hopes.
                                This market wont support anyone who's not a winner. Im sorry, but this fanbase lost the chance to complain about dumping these guys when they never supported them in the first place. I said this the other day, but i went to a home game against the padres on a saturday where we were on a winning streak and had just gotten back over .500 and into the playoff hunt and there were maybe 15,000 people there.

Comment

Working...
                                X