Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dim View Post
    You should know better than to use Gold Gloves as a metric to judge. Yelich is above average as a defender, but he's got a putrid arm and Eaton by all calculations covers ground like few others that helps him be a 5-6 win player every year despite OPS'ing in the mid 700s.

- - - - - - - - - -

I don't think Dietrich will be on this team.
    True as far as Yelich and GG. Youre right, i just think besides the arm he's a really good CF. Put it this way: i think he is significantly better than Eaton with the bat and much more so than Eaton is better than Yelich with his glove.

Comment

• Although he isn't going to be a free agent until 2021, so who knows.

Reason I think he'd be traded is because they've been trying to trade him for years and at this point the team is looking to maximize value as it is.

EDIT: Dietrich this is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
        Why do you say that?
        ya, i think dietrich will be on the team. At the very least until july. we still do need to fill out a roster and i dont see him getting enough to justify trading him.

Comment

• Yeah I think they trade Dietrich too. Will probably look to dump his salary as well as Rojas's.

Comment

Brian Anderson is expected to be a long term starting 3rd baseman. Rojas/Riddle will suffice during a rebuild at SS/2B. Bour is obviously good at first (unless he's traded then just throw Tomas Telis there). Realmuto is the star left on the team.

Outfield can be filled with a bunch of cheap veteran signings on 1 year deals plus guys like Braxton Lee earning a MLB starting spot.

But it's obvious this will be a bottom 10 offense next season.
            Ya, i think we gotta just start going position by position and seeing what we have prospect wise at each place. C is fine if we keep realmuto. 3b is Anderson. LF appears to be Dietrich. Maybe we got another OF in this STL deal. 2b/SS is Rojas/Riddle unfortunately. And 1b is Bour until the deadline likely.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
              I dont get it either. I dont feel that's how it is for most other teams but it could just be because we want to know the deals right away as opposed to other teams' deals where we dont really care about the return as much.
              Yeah, that could be.

I agree with the sentiments that IF they're going to trade Yelich, it needs to be an "above and beyond" type deal where it's well beyond what they actually want.

Comment

• I don't give a fuck who these prospects are. This has been a disaster of such epic proportions I'm honestly ready to hang it up for this team.

No matter the return they get on any of these guys, they fucked up and they know it.

Don't spend a billion dollar to buy a team if you don't have money to run it. Jesus christ that should seem like common sense. They think they're gonna be able to fix revenues or sell naming rights or get a good TV deal? Who is going to want to be associated with this clown organization? Everyone is taking shots left and right at this organization as they walk out the door, and they wouldn't be doing that if the new guy was any better than the old guy. Every step of the way since Jeter took over it's been one misstep after another, and now all of a sudden, after saying for months that they were going to move Stanton, they just decide "you know what, let's just move everyone?" It's ridiculous, and it doesn't make any sense because honestly they could have been contending in 2018 even without Stanton if they really wanted to.

They wanna do the Astros thing or the '98 Marlins thing? They realize they actually don't have time for that right? They need to be good by 2020 if they want a TV deal worth anything. Fox has no competition in this market and isn't going to just give them more money because "well, LA has a big TV deal" so if the product is shitty, and the ratings and attendance is at ch they will be, I can assure you), they will still be broke. And then what? We do this song and dance, AGAIN, over and over trying to build $60m winners? Give a me a fucking break. And please if you think these guys can actually build a contender while Mike Hill is still running the show, you're deluding yourself.

Comment

• On a totally unrelated note I was looking through the roster and noticed we somehow got Chad Wallach back (who we originally traded to the Reds as part of the Mat Latos trade). Pretty underrated move but I really liked Wallach as a prospect and he could actually contribute at the major league level next year if the team moves on from Realmuto (and as a backup if Realmuto stays).

Comment

On a totally unrelated note I was looking through the roster and noticed we somehow got Chad Wallach back (who we originally traded to the Reds as part of the Mat Latos trade). Pretty underrated move but I really liked Wallach as a prospect and he could actually contribute at the major league level next year if the team moves on from Realmuto (and as a backup if Realmuto stays).
                    ya, but his status has really declined since we traded him. His hitting profile has been completely different since we traded him.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
                    I don't give a fuck who these prospects are. This has been a disaster of such epic proportions I'm honestly ready to hang it up for this team.

No matter the return they get on any of these guys, they fucked up and they know it.

Don't spend a billion dollar to buy a team if you don't have money to run it. Jesus christ that should seem like common sense. They think they're gonna be able to fix revenues or sell naming rights or get a good TV deal? Who is going to want to be associated with this clown organization? Everyone is taking shots left and right at this organization as they walk out the door, and they wouldn't be doing that if the new guy was any better than the old guy. Every step of the way since Jeter took over it's been one misstep after another, and now all of a sudden, after saying for months that they were going to move Stanton, they just decide "you know what, let's just move everyone?" It's ridiculous, and it doesn't make any sense because honestly they could have been contending in 2018 even without Stanton if they really wanted to.

They wanna do the Astros thing or the '98 Marlins thing? They realize they actually don't have time for that right? They need to be good by 2020 if they want a TV deal worth anything. Fox has no competition in this market and isn't going to just give them more money because "well, LA has a big TV deal" so if the product is shitty, and the ratings and attendance is at ch they will be, I can assure you), they will still be broke. And then what? We do this song and dance, AGAIN, over and over trying to build $60m winners? Give a me a fucking break. And please if you think these guys can actually build a contender while Mike Hill is still running the show, you're deluding yourself.
                    if they have the top farm system in baseball by the time the tv deal comes up and show that they are willing to invest in IFA and the draft, they will still get an improvement in the tv deal.

Comment

• I don't think TV executives give two shits about a farm system. They want a good team that people want to watch, and a farm system doesn't help them in negotiations.

Comment

I don't think TV executives give two shits about a farm system. They want a good team that people want to watch, and a farm system doesn't help them in negotiations.
                        if it is at the point where say the cubs were the year before they took off or where the white sox will be in like a year, i think they do. But that is conditioned on if the new owners show they are willing to spend in other areas before that as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
                          I don't give a fuck who these prospects are. This has been a disaster of such epic proportions I'm honestly ready to hang it up for this team.

I completely agree.

The "increase revenue" argument is funny too considering they're trading away the players everyone WOULD come to see if the team were contending. Revenues will go down this year (but so will costs since nobody will be left).

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                          if it is at the point where say the cubs were the year before they took off or where the white sox will be in like a year, i think they do. But that is conditioned on if the new owners show they are willing to spend in other areas before that as well.
                          But those are the Cubs and White Sox. Those aren't the Marlins. People aren't going to be clamoring over the remote to change to the Marlins game or the doors of Marlins park to get in because "look at all these prospects that are almost here!!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                            I completely agree.

The "increase revenue" argument is funny too considering they're trading away the players everyone WOULD come to see if the team were contending. Revenues will go down this year (but so will costs since nobody will be left).

- - - - - - - - - -

But those are the Cubs and White Sox. Those aren't the Marlins. People aren't going to be clamoring over the remote to change to the Marlins game or the doors of Marlins park to get in because "look at all these prospects that are almost here!!!!"
                            i probably agree, just throwing it out there.

Comment

• Looks like the Marlins didn't get Piscotty as Heyman is reporting they are moving closer to dealing him to the A's. It is going to be super sad when they get a better return for him from the A's then we got for Ozuna from them.

Comment

• If we do trade Yelich to the braves, start off with Albies and then get 2-3 of their top starters and id be cool with that. I think Albies is gonna be a star and their pitching prospects might be the best in baseball.

Comment

Working...
                                X