No announcement yet.

Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ya i didnt want to call him out on that but you said mike hill would be a figurehead a bunch of times.

Comment

• http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...on-marlin-2018

Jeter: It’s not a given that Stanton is gone because he makes the most money.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
        ya i didnt want to call him out on that but you said mike hill would be a figurehead a bunch of times.
        I said NO ONE knows if Mike Hill has any power or not. Some people think he is the figurehead(NOT ME) and others think he is just there because Jeter wants Denbo to figure out the minor league system(What I think)

If u start seeing Mike Hill getting players he likes in deals then YES he has power and is the figurehead

My opinion is Jeter needed a guy who knows the system and likes dealing with meetings and all. Gary Denbo doesn't know the system yet and Mike Hill is still under contract so he got the job while Gary Denbo figures out the minor leagues and gets the team ready for 2020. 2019/20 Gary Denbo will get a promotion to President of Baseball and Mike Hill is either gone or gets demoted.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
        http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...on-marlin-2018

Sounds like a girl at the HS prom. She only has 3 choices however not really interested in any of them so instead of going with one of them she tells everyone she might just not go

Comment

• i dont really care regardless, its not a meaningful point, but thats not what your posts said clearly.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
            If u start seeing Mike Hill getting players he likes in deals then YES he has power and is the figurehead
            Yep, this is something a person could tangibly figure out.

Comment

• Well again I say He has all/100% the power. As for u I have no clue since my reading comprehension sucks. We can continue the discussion when he gets traded to one of the 3 teams on his list(right now) or any of the other 28 teams
              Last edited by tjfla; 11-15-2017, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...on-marlin-2018

Here's an interesting thought.....

With Harper and Machado set to be FA's next offseason, could we get a better return next offseason if Stanton has another big, healthy year, and one less year/money on the contract trading him after Harper and Machado sign? Since those two are expected to get monster deals larger than Stanton's, won't Stanton's look like a bargain by comparison? And the clubs that miss out on those two would want to make a move to acquire Stanton, giving us more leverage? There's obviously a risk of Stanton getting hurt/having a down year, though.

Comment

Well again I say He has all/100% the power. As for u I have no clue since my reading comprehension sucks. We can continue the discussion when he gets traded to one of the 3 teams on his list(right now) or any of the other 28 teams
                  Duly noted. So I guess we shouldn't even bother talking about the Cardinals, Red Sox, or any other team outside of California then, because that's where he wants to go, and he has all the say.

As for my stance, I've spelled it out pretty clearly that I feel like the team should have some influence considering, you know, he is contractually obligated to play for them for the next several years, and they don't actually have to trade him if they don't want to. It's up to them how they want to play it, and how much power they give Stanton.

Comment

• Jon Morosi‏Verified account
                    @jonmorosi

Source: #STLCards and #Marlins officials discussed Giancarlo Stanton trade concepts today at the @MLB General Managers Meetings in Orlando. @MLBNetwork

Step 1-Talk
                    Step 2-Discuss Names/Money(Concepts)They would love to do Stanton,Zeigler and 50 million for Flaherty,Hudson or Alcantara,St Louis ML Ready OF and more. Issue is Step 3
                    Step 3-Go to Stanton and beg for him to put St Louis on the list because thats the deal u really want.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                    Duly noted. So I guess we shouldn't even bother talking about the Cardinals, Red Sox, or any other team outside of California then, because that's where he wants to go, and he has all the say.

As for my stance, I've spelled it out pretty clearly that I feel like the team should have some influence considering, you know, he is contractually obligated to play for them for the next several years, and they don't actually have to trade him if they don't want to. It's up to them how they want to play it, and how much power they give Stanton.
                    We can talk St Louis,Boston,Philly,Tampa Bay,Atlanta but unless he says

https://youtu.be/H7-51DeTRRQ
                    it doesn't matter
                    Last edited by tjfla; 11-15-2017, 02:52 PM.

Comment

We can talk St Louis,Boston,Philly,Tampa Bay,Atlanta but unless he says

https://youtu.be/H7-51DeTRRQ
                      it doesn't matter
                      I'm not debating that you need to convince Stanton to put a team you want on his list. That's a fact considering his NMC. But if Stanton had 100% control, why would he consider going to a team that wasn't his first, or even second choice? If he had full control, he'd tell the Marlins trade me to California or pay me my salary. Compromising is not having 100% control.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                        I'm not debating that you need to convince Stanton to put a team you want on his list. That's a fact considering his NMC. But if Stanton had 100% control, why would he consider going to a team that wasn't his first, or even second choice? If he had full control, he'd tell the Marlins trade me to California or pay me my salary. Compromising is not having 100% control.
                        this is exactly my point every time i hear stanton has all the power. He has power, he doesnt have all the power. The marlins can let him rot as the lone good player on a rebuilding team if he wants to screw the team over.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                          this is exactly my point every time i hear stanton has all the power. He has power, he doesnt have all the power. The marlins can let him rot as the lone good player on a rebuilding team if he wants to screw the team over.
                          Yep. They can trade Ozuna,Yelich and more instead keep Stanton and let him rot till 2020 when he opts out. Stanton gets his money and more in 2021,Miami has to start the actually rebuild in 2020 instead of 2018 and gets nothing in return everyone loses

Comment

Yep. They can trade Ozuna,Yelich and more instead keep Stanton and let him rot till 2020 when he opts out. Stanton gets his money and more in 2021,Miami has to start the actually rebuild in 2020 instead of 2018 and gets nothing in return everyone loses
                            not really a loss for miami if thats the case. if he wants to take the risk of whether or not someone will give him the same contract and opts out, good for him, he can try that. From the marlins perspective, you trade the rest of the roster and still get a great haul for guys like Ozuna, Bour, Gordon, JT, Straily, Bearclaw, etc, and then Chen and Stanton's contracts would expire that year in 2020 and maybe they get a free agent that year or just have money for raises for prospects they get in those trades, or they just play it like the astros and keep building from within.

If Stanton stays here until 2020 and then opts out, we get 3 more years of stanton so you dont alienate the fanbase, then let him walk at age 31 like the Cardinals did with Pujols without paying him the remainder of his money that will be an albatross towards the end of the deal. Him walking in 2020 for a huge deal somewhere else would not be the worst thing in the world from the marlins perspective. I'd still trade him and make him work with us towards a good deal for each side, but that happening wouldnt be the worst thing in the world for the marlins. Not sure why you think we couldnt still do every part of a rebuild that we are gonna do anyways except having Stanton around as the lone piece we keep.

Comment

Except we all know that won't really be the case. Stanton doesn't want to be here for a rebuild. If they call his bluff, he'll relent. Even if you have to take it to the trade deadline (which I don't think you will). That's the point I've been trying to make. There is zero chance that Stanton plays out his entire contract, but you don't have to give in to him right away to be done with it. That's poor asset management.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                                Except we all know that won't really be the case. Stanton doesn't want to be here for a rebuild. If they call his bluff, he'll relent. Even if you have to take it to the trade deadline (which I don't think you will). That's the point I've been trying to make. There is zero chance that Stanton plays out his entire contract, but you don't have to give in to him right away to be done with it. That's poor asset management.
                                exactly. that's the exact same point ive been making about stanton not having 100% of the power this whole time. He has NTC power, we have only good player on a rebuilding team for 3 contracted years power. theres a middle ground.

Comment

Working...
                                X