Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
    I'd just like to acquire one top of the rotation potential arm in a stanton deal, because I think once we combine that with a huge package that we will inevitably get for Ozuna, whether its pitching or hitting, that will kick off the rebuild very nicely.
    Again it doesn't seem to matter to Jeter anymore

The Marlins are thought to most prefer pitchers back in return, but Marlins people are open to any sort of talent, as they want to bolster an overall depth issue – and cut expense.

They can shoot for pitchers in the Ozuna deal where instead of 4 teams the market will be 24 teams. At this point they just want talent for Stanton and start building the system

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      Again it doesn't seem to matter to Jeter anymore

The Marlins are thought to most prefer pitchers back in return, but Marlins people are open to any sort of talent, as they want to bolster an overall depth issue – and cut expense.

They can shoot for pitchers in the Ozuna deal where instead of 4 teams the market will be 24 teams. At this point they just want talent for Stanton and start building the system
      I understand their rationale, just saying mine.

Comment

I understand their rationale, just saying mine.
        I aint trying to argue with u or anyone just saying what I hear and see. They have been saying it for a week nowbehind the scenes-they want pitching but the farm system is so bad they will take any talent they can get.

Just like I said yesterday even tho they mention a 90 million budget for 2018 and 2019 they would prefer it to be between 60-75 million actually but don't wanna say anything to piss off the public

Comment

Well Boston has turned attention to JD Martinez,he still hasn't said Yes to St Louis and no chance in hell he goes to Philly(4 teams in on him-SF,St Louis,Boston,Philly). So options are SF or stays in Miami
          If those are the options, and I'm running the FO, I say "enjoy the rebuild Giancarlo" and wait for him to inevitably change his tune, or hold out for the trade deadline, when hopefully the Dodgers come calling. If you get held hostage, and take a shitty deal, you're screwing this franchise over.

Comment

• http://www.nbcsports.com/boston/red-...tely-open-mind

The Red Sox may not be Giancarlo Stanton’s No. 1 choice, but he hasn’t ruled out them or anyone else as a potential destination at this point, a person with knowledge of Stanton’s thinking told NBC Sports Boston on Tuesday.

The Marlins slugger, a bona fide star, is said to have a “completely” open mind about teams interested to trade for him, and is actively trying to be thoughtful about the process — one he ultimately controls because of a full no-trade clause.

Comment

• Mark Feinsand‏Verified account
              @Feinsand
              Follow Follow @Feinsand
              More
              The Dodgers are indeed in the mix for Giancarlo Stanton, according to a source.
              very big news. Urias and who? Id like to see us get Austin Barnes back too and then see if we could get a huge haul for JT or just move JT to 1b.

Urias, Mitchell White, and Alvarez?
              Last edited by fish16; 11-14-2017, 05:49 PM.

Comment

• The Marlins have hired former Mets bench coach Dick Scott as their director of player development, reports Tim Healey of the South Florida Sun Sentinel. The 55-year-old Scott will work under newly hired vice president of player development Gary Denbo. Scott will also absorb the responsibilities of the minor league field coordinator position in his newly created role.
                http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...source=twitter

Comment

very big news. Urias and who? Id like to see us get Austin Barnes back too and then see if we could get a huge haul for JT or just move JT to 1b.

The Dodgers would be my top choice for Stanton being that I live in LA and would love to see him play here, and they have a loaded system. I'm not sure if I'd want Urias as the major piece coming back. I'd try and get Buehler or Verdugo. They have a bunch of ML outfielders, too. I'd ask about Joc Pederson who had a nice resurgence in the playoffs for them.

Comment

• U are correct he hasn't ruled anyone out at this point however he also hasn't added any names onto his list. Only 3 teams are still on it-until he actually adds teams onto SF,LAD,LAA his words mean nothing

Why the hell do all these articles say Stanton ultimately controls anything? As sports24/7 posts in every message,Stanton has no power!!!!

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fish16 View Post

Don't get to happy they talked but are far off at this point. LA called because they are on his list but the names thrown around weren't even close

Since we need sources

Andy McCullough‏Verified account @McCulloughTimes ยท 48m48 minutes ago
                    Sources: While Dodgers have made contact with Miami re: Giancarlo Stanton, there is little momentum to those talks. Could change, but for now, shrug emoji

Andy McCullough‏Verified account
                    @McCulloughTimes

Derek Jeter says he hasn’t spoken to Giancarlo Stanton yet. “If there’s a reason to call, I’ll call.”
                    Last edited by tjfla; 11-15-2017, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• Jeter seems like a real people person.

Comment

• I believe Jeter did say Mike Hill is in contact with Stanton though. I think that might also be posturing as if to say they arent in any type of necessity to trade Stanton.

Comment

I believe Jeter did say Mike Hill is in contact with Stanton though. I think that might also be posturing as if to say they arent in any type of necessity to trade Stanton.
                          Mike Hill is the point person. They had the meeting last week-Stanton,his people,Hill,Jeter,Denbo. They gave us the same list as few weeks ago and Jeter pretty much said Mike/Gary have fun finding a deal.

Comment

U are correct he hasn't ruled anyone out at this point however he also hasn't added any names onto his list. Only 3 teams are still on it-until he actually adds teams onto SF,LAD,LAA his words mean nothing

Why the hell do all these articles say Stanton ultimately controls anything? As sports24/7 posts in every message,Stanton has no power!!!!
                            You might want to work on your reading comprehension. I've never once said he has no power. I said a good GM would not let Stanton control this thing completely. You said he has all the power. But, hey, it's more fun to drive your narrative, right?

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                            Mike Hill is the point person. They had the meeting last week-Stanton,his people,Hill,Jeter,Denbo. They gave us the same list as few weeks ago and Jeter pretty much said Mike/Gary have fun finding a deal.
                            Weird that Hill is now the point person, when our top notch source inside the Marlins told us weeks ago that he was just a figurehead.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                              You might want to work on your reading comprehension. I've never once said he has no power. I said a good GM would not let Stanton control this thing completely. You said he has all the power. But, hey, it's more fun to drive your narrative, right?

- - - - - - - - - -

Weird that Hill is now the point person, when our top notch source inside the Marlins told us weeks ago that he was just a figurehead.
                              I said no one knows if Mike Hill has power or is just a figurehead. He is the point person in TALKING to Stanton and his people. Jeter talked to them and made zero progress so he is have Mike Hill and Gary Denbo deal with it. Jeter tried to get him to add teams to his list and was shut down so he has moved on to other stuff-letting his FO deal with it now

No narrative here. Just put what I hear-I said he has all the power and u said he doesn't. Next day I put up an article that says he has all the power and u said the writer doesn't know. I put up where an agent says he has all the power and u said its one agent

Also we don't have a GM

- - - - - - - - - -

clarkspencer‏Verified account @clarkspencer ยท 19m19 minutes ago
                              Source: At least 8 teams have spoken to Marlins about Stanton, 6 are deemed "serious" bidders.

Serious are Boston,St Louis,SF,Philly,LAD. They also talked to LAA,Toronto,SD. Guess one of them are serious too?

Stanton wants to go to LA however LAA has no cash after signing Upton and LAD are far off in talks right now. Names/things they mentioned were not even close to what we wanted

- - - - - - - - - -

For the Ozuna fan club,Boras wants 7/210 for JD Martinez if Ozuna has 2 more years like this year he is likely looking at 7/250+ in FA in the word going around

Comment

I said no one knows if Mike Hill has power or is just a figurehead. He is the point person in TALKING to Stanton and his people. Jeter talked to them and made zero progress so he is have Mike Hill and Gary Denbo deal with it. Jeter tried to get him to add teams to his list and was shut down so he has moved on to other stuff-letting his FO deal with it now

No narrative here. Just put what I hear-I said he has all the power and u said he doesn't. Next day I put up an article that says he has all the power and u said the writer doesn't know. I put up where an agent says he has all the power and u said its one agent

Also we don't have a GM
                                You never said he'd be a figurehead?

Worst secret ever is done

Gary Denbo is now the Marlins’ director of player development and amateur scouting. Mike Hill stays on a President of Baseball Ops(Title only since Jeter is actually President of Baseball Ops)

FO is Jeter-Mike Hill-Denbo with Mike Hill having NO power,just talk trades/go to meetings. Actually same role as last FO just he does what Jeter says instead of Jeff. The reason seems to be Jeter wants Denbo to spend most of his time on the farm system/scouting instead of having to do everything. Jeter is going to try to bring in other guys he trusts to do more work than Mike Hill like Jim Hendry/Gordon Blakeley(if allowed)
                                Ya Gary Denbo is gonna be VP of Baseball/GM. Mike Hill's biggest decision will be to call Jeter or not that day to say Hi

100 million will be lowest but its like Milwaukee.They are the lowest this year because all the guys are young not because they are terrible. Santana/Broxton/Arcia/pitching all young which makes them cheap.
                                And that's just from a quick search. I can remember multiple mentions of this.

Again, it's all about reading comprehension, my friend. Saying Stanton doesn't have ALL OF THE POWER is very different than saying he has NO POWER. And again, it's all about how the front office handles it. They don't have to trade him. If they play it like that, they do have quite a bit of power to work with. If Stanton had ALL OF THE POWER, he'd go to LA or SF, and Miami would have no say in the matter. If he gets traded anywhere other than those two cities, it would appear that he does not indeed have all of the power. I also never said that writer or that agent were wrong. Feel free to provide an example proving otherwise. I said just because they said it, doesn't mean it's 100% cold hard fact, like you tried to use it as.
                                Last edited by sports24/7; 11-15-2017, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X