Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few notes on Stanton much of which has been reported

Stanton gave us a list of LAD,LAA,SF of whom he would accept a deal to. LAA signed Upton and that took him out of Stanton race. LAD are interested but not a priority which is why u see us "talking" to others. The others as reported by Morosi today are the Red Sox, Cardinals, Giants and Phillies however he has NOT ok'ed a trade to any of them. They are just exchanging names/money numbers just in case he does. Miami would like to deal him to St Louis or Boston

Clark Spencer says talks between the Marlins and Red Sox involving Stanton “may be heating up”. They would love to trade him to Boston for one of Andrew Benintendi,Mookie Betts,Xander Bogaerts or Rafael Devers,SP Eduardo Rodriguez and a SP prospect like Bryan Mata,Darwinzon Hernandez, or Roniel Raudes.

Things are gonna actually heat up starting Monday so keep eyes open but like said he still hasn't included any other teams on his list as soon as he does list a St Louis or Boston he gone

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
    Ive said for a while the Red Sox are a great partner. Give us one of Devers/Benintendi, Rodriguez, and a prospect.
    Thats what we want. Stanton,possibly a Zeigler or Tazawa and 50 million+ in cash over a few years.
    Last edited by tjfla; 11-11-2017, 06:09 PM.

Comment

• Devers or Benintendi being included in any deal would be absolutely incredible. Id give them Bour too to make the package even more enticing to them. He'd be a really nice fit for that team too.

I love Bogaerts as a player too, I just dont like how close he is to free agency. Devers/ Benintendi, Rodriguez, maybe Jackie Bradley Jr who we would then flip somewhere else, and a pitching prospect and i run as quickly as possible to take that deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
        Devers or Benintendi being included in any deal would be absolutely incredible. Id give them Bour too to make the package even more enticing to them. He'd be a really nice fit for that team too.
        Well I dont think we are gonna be picky. If they get 1 of Devers,Benintendi,Betts,Bogaerts,Bradley Jr they will take it and run. Honestly they really want an ALL pitching return so whoever Boston would pair with Eduardo Rodriguez is cool. Don't forget they can also flip one of these guys for more pitching

They told St Louis the same thing. They want pitching and alot of it in any deal and they will include cash. The problem with St Louis is they don't think he will approve a trade there. They are more confident about Boston but no official word yet-only 2 teams(3 really) he has approved right now
        Last edited by tjfla; 11-11-2017, 06:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
          Well I dont think we are gonna be picky. If they get 1 of Devers,Benintendi,Betts,Bogaerts,Bradley Jr they will take it and run. Honestly they want ALL pitching so whoever Boston would pair with Eduardo Rodriguez. Don't forget they can also flip one of these guys for more pitching
          Bradley Jr and Bogaerts dont really make sense to me. Id rather go for mroe prospects if that's the case. Especially Bogaerts. He's like Ozuna in that he only has 2 more years of team control left and he will get a huge deal in free agency. Bradley Jr. has 3 years left but i just dont think he's anything special as a player.

- - - - - - - - - -

If we can get Devers and Rodriguez, then deal Ozuna to the cardinals for a huge haul i'd be a huge fan of this offseason. Devers is gonna be a superstar IMO at a really hard position to find great players at these days (3b).

Comment

Bradley Jr and Bogaerts dont really make sense to me. Id rather go for mroe prospects if that's the case. Especially Bogaerts. He's like Ozuna in that he only has 2 more years of team control left and he will get a huge deal in free agency. Bradley Jr. has 3 years left but i just dont think he's anything special as a player.

- - - - - - - - - -

If we can get Devers and Rodriguez, then deal Ozuna to the cardinals for a huge haul i'd be a huge fan of this offseason. Devers is gonna be a superstar IMO at a really hard position to find great players at these days (3b).
            Ya but u then flip Bradley Jr or Bogaerts somewhere for more pitching. They are like Yelich and Ozuna-25 teams would be in on them. Miami wants pitching pitching and more pitching and unlike Stanton u can trade those guys anywhere u want. Maybe Atlanta or CWS would like one of them?

Cards aren't as into Ozuna as once thought. They see the future Boras price tag(200 million+) and have cooled some on him. They actually are Stanton,Yelich,Ozuna. But Ozuna still has massive market

The goal like I have said for 3 months is figure out Stanton(see what u can get for him) and then move onto the others
            Last edited by tjfla; 11-11-2017, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Ya but u then flip Bradley Jr or Bogaerts somewhere for more pitching. They are like Yelich and Ozuna-25 teams would be in on them.

Cards aren't as into Ozuna as once thought. They see the future Boras price tag(200 million+) and have cooled some on him. They actually are Stanton,Yelich,Ozuna. But Ozuna still has massive market
              I guess that would work too. I'd rather just take more prospects from them and go with Devers or Benintendi as the main piece rather than having to flip them right after. IF we can get a legit future superstar in a deal for Stanton that would be incredible.

I'd love to see the Jays in on Ozuna too. Or the Braves. The braves also match up incredibly well with us for an ozuna trade. Could you imagine a deal with Stanton where we get Devers and Rodriguez then a deal with the Braves for Ozuna where we get someone like Albies and then 2 really good pitching prospects.

Comment

That would be an absolutely horrific trade.
                From a Miami fan's perspective it's a horrific trade because the Marlins surrender talent and get little in return.

From a fiscal perspective, it addresses some of the Marlins' reported wishes.

Perhaps the Marlins could find a better offer in terms of talent, but the market for Wei-Yin Chen is limited because the $65 million left on the lefthander's contract will likely weigh down whatever team is stuck with him. That team could be the Miami if the Marlins seek a significant return in a trade of Marcell Ozuna and/or Justin Bour.

Comment

• Originally posted by harmony View Post
                  From a Miami fan's perspective it's a horrific trade because the Marlins surrender talent and get little in return.

From a fiscal perspective, it addresses some of the Marlins' reported wishes.

Perhaps the Marlins could find a better offer in terms of talent, but the market for Wei-Yin Chen is limited because the $65 million left on the lefthander's contract will likely weigh down whatever team is stuck with him. That team could be the Miami if the Marlins seek a significant return in a trade of Marcell Ozuna and/or Justin Bour.
                  you dont worry about chen right now. He is in all likelihood a sunk cost. You dont use him to significantly reduce your return in an Ozuna trade.

- - - - - - - - - -

Are we going to trade Bour 100%? I think he might have really nice value, but he is also super cheap for a while, and if we can get huge returns for Stanton and get a few really good pitching prospects like Weaver or Flaherty or something like that for Ozuna, this rebuild will not be as long and terrible as it once seemed like it might.

Say we get rodriguez and devers for Stanton, then Straily nets you an MLB ready pitching prospect and a lower level prospect, Dee gordon can get you a really cheap and quality reliever, and then we really would just need another year for more development and we could be a contender.

C- JT
                  1b-Bour
                  2b- Dietrich or maybe Anderson
                  SS-?
                  3b- Devers
                  Lf- Bader?
                  CF- Yelich
                  RF- Figure it out

Sp options- Rodriguez, Flaherty/Weaver, Conley, Urena, Chen?, and then we would have a bunch of prospects for the first time in a long time like Garrett, Rogers, Richards, among others. That is a possibly really solid rotation, and we would be in year one of the rebuild.

This rebuild is gonna be a really positive thing for this team, I wish more people would see how potentially this could be a franchise changing offseason in a really positive way.

Comment

you dont worry about chen right now. He is in all likelihood a sunk cost. You dont use him to significantly reduce your return in an Ozuna trade.
                    Ya maybe this FO can convince him to get TJ and u still have him for 2 years. No need to trade him unless its to a team that is willing to take his contract(See Philly)

Comment

MLB Trade Rumors writer Kyle Downing recently touched on the possibility in the discussion following his report on the market for Marcell Ozuna:

Kyle Downing6 days ago
                      I think he’s suggesting they take on Chen’s salary as a method of getting Ozuna at a lower prospect cost. Which seems interesting to me. They did something similar a while back when they took on Ryan Webb’s contract in exchange for essentially a draft pick.
                      https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...una-trade.html

Comment

• Originally posted by harmony View Post
                        MLB Trade Rumors writer Kyle Downing recently touched on the possibility in the discussion following his report on the market for Marcell Ozuna:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...una-trade.html
                        i understand the rationale, im just saying it is a terrible way to deal with trading Ozuna. You desperately need to get something significant for Ozuna, and when we do this rebuild we will have a low enough payroll where Chen's contract will still be bad, but not crippling.

Comment

- - - - - - - - - -

Are we going to trade Bour 100%? I think he might have really nice value, but he is also super cheap for a while, and if we can get huge returns for Stanton and get a few really good pitching prospects like Weaver or Flaherty or something like that for Ozuna, this rebuild will not be as long and terrible as it once seemed like it might.

Say we get rodriguez and devers for Stanton, then Straily nets you an MLB ready pitching prospect and a lower level prospect, Dee gordon can get you a really cheap and quality reliever, and then we really would just need another year for more development and we could be a contender.

C- JT
                          1b-Bour
                          2b- Dietrich or maybe Anderson
                          SS-?
                          3b- Devers
                          Lf- Bader?
                          CF- Yelich
                          RF- Figure it out

Sp options- Rodriguez, Flaherty/Weaver, Conley, Urena, Chen?, and then we would have a bunch of prospects for the first time in a long time like Garrett, Rogers, Richards, among others. That is a possibly really solid rotation, and we would be in year one of the rebuild.

This rebuild is gonna be a really positive thing for this team, I wish more people would see how potentially this could be a franchise changing offseason in a really positive way.
                          U will have Chen for May and don't be surprised if Conley is dealt for another struggling/change of scenery SP. He pissed off the coaching staff.

No Bour isn't 100 but if u get a solid offer u have to jump on it

Comment

Ya maybe this FO can convince him to get TJ and u still have him for 2 years. No need to trade him unless its to a team that is willing to take his contract(See Philly)
                            Ya, either that or he just stays healthy. When he is healthy and pitching, the type of pitcher he was in Baltimore would be a huge addition to the rotation that will likely be very young at that point.

Comment

Ya, either that or he just stays healthy. When he is healthy and pitching, the type of pitcher he was in Baltimore would be a huge addition to the rotation that will likely be very young at that point.
                              Never gonna be healthy until he gets the surgery. He will pitch in May then need months rest and be ready in August again. He has a partial tear in UCL. Thats y say he should gets surgery sit out 2018 and 2019 season he is healthy

Comment

U will have Chen for May and don't be surprised if Conley is dealt for another struggling/change of scenery SP. He pissed off the coaching staff.

No Bour isn't 100 but if u get a solid offer u have to jump on it
                                Conley would be an interesting trade candidate. Be interested to see who we could get back for him. Wouldnt be opposed to it. And I know about Chen, I was just listing different options we would have. That is obviously assuming a lot, but that is a really good looking and cheap team.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                                Never gonna be healthy until he gets the surgery. He will pitch in May then need months rest and be ready in August again. He has a partial tear in UCL. Thats y say he should gets surgery sit out 2018 and 2019 season he is healthy
                                Trust me, we're on the same page. He should have gotten it like 15 months ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X