No announcement yet.

Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only 9 days away from the start of the shit sandwich!

How’s everyone’s appetite? We’re all gonna take a bite.
    Last edited by Namaste; 10-24-2017, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• Sigh...

Comment

• Apparently ownership hasn't met with Stanton yet......they'll do so after the World Series.

Comment

• Hes gone. And he should be given our situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
            Apparently ownership hasn't met with Stanton yet......they'll do so after the World Series.
            What is the point? The meeting will be where would u accept a trade to. He will give a list of 3 maybe 4 teams and then we will try to figure it out

LAD,SF,Boston look like the 3 teams right now in that order however IF Boston is willing to do a package with Benintendi,Betts or Bogaerts they move to the top quick. They also like Devers however would want higher ranked prospects if he is the centerpiece

They still wanna do Stanton first and then see what they need in other deals. They wanna walk away with atleast 3 young ML SP or ML Ready arms. They project 3 guys in the rotation to start the year Chen,Urena,Peters with the other 2 spots "open". Chen atleast for the first month .

Straily is expected to be dealt as soon as the first few FA SP go off the board with them hoping for arms in return BUT aren't gonna say no to a deal if it's not

In Dee Gordon news,LAA look like the favorites right now however he's not a priority for them. They wanna see how much Upton will cost and are looking at pitching to before they get serious. They have discussed a deal for Eduardo Paredes(22 yr old ML RP) and a low level prospect. Looking like we are happy losing his $ and getting a young ML ready player and prospect for him. Other teams can get in on him and are expected too(Philly was reportedly trying LY and they have lots of young ML ready guys) but value wise it looks like we are more interested in losing his $ then getting value
            Last edited by tjfla; 10-25-2017, 02:21 PM.

Comment

• Chen is fucking garbage. I’m going to boo that mf in his home ballpark his first start of 2018

Comment

• That'll show him.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                  What is the point? The meeting will be where would u accept a trade to. He will give a list of 3 maybe 4 teams and then we will try to figure it out

LAD,SF,Boston look like the 3 teams right now in that order however IF Boston is willing to do a package with Benintendi,Betts or Bogaerts they move to the top quick. They also like Devers however would want higher ranked prospects if he is the centerpiece

They still wanna do Stanton first and then see what they need in other deals. They wanna walk away with atleast 3 young ML SP or ML Ready arms. They project 3 guys in the rotation to start the year Chen,Urena,Peters with the other 2 spots "open". Chen atleast for the first month .

Straily is expected to be dealt as soon as the first few FA SP go off the board with them hoping for arms in return BUT aren't gonna say no to a deal if it's not

In Dee Gordon news,LAA look like the favorites right now however he's not a priority for them. They wanna see how much Upton will cost and are looking at pitching to before they get serious. They have discussed a deal for Eduardo Paredes(22 yr old ML RP) and a low level prospect. Looking like we are happy losing his $ and getting a young ML ready player and prospect for him. Other teams can get in on him and are expected too(Philly was reportedly trying LY and they have lots of young ML ready guys) but value wise it looks like we are more interested in losing his $ then getting value
                  Devers would be my number one target if im the marlins, then Benintendi and betts are pretty much tied. Bogaerts to me makes no sense. He only has 2 more years of team control. As another piece that would be awesome, but if he is the first or second best player in a deal I would absolutely hate that. Ive loved Devers as a prospect for the last 2-3 years. His ability and his production relative to his age has superstar written all over him.

For gordon, I wanted more but i certainly understand just getting a guy in the mold of Barraclough that they think can be a future late inning reliever and just moving on. Im of the opinion that Gordon is fairly overrated so im cool with that.

Im very interested to see what they can get for straily. Really would be a whole different story if we just didnt trade castillo last year. I trashed that move at the time, and even if straily surprised me as a nice mid rotation guy you just dont give up on Castillo and for some reason they kept wanting to trade him when it was pretty clear he had top of the rotation potential.

- - - - - - - - - -

I think Bour makes a ton of sense for Boston too given that they need a 1b and more power because Moreland is now a free agent. Maybe a Bour and Stanton deal for Devers, Rodriguez, Bogaerts (or try as hard as you can to sneak Betts or benintendi out of them too), and a pitching prospect.

I looked up the paredes kid and he looks like a really nice bullpen arm potentially. I dont think id like him as the sole piece in a gordon trade. Paredes and a lower level prospect that the scouts like would be a nice haul to me.

- - - - - - - - - -

And if LA is the target, I think we have a really good shot at getting Urias, which would be a huge get as a starting point in that deal IMO.

- - - - - - - - - -

Im trying to think of who would be a good fit for Straily and I cant think of anyone. I would think there might be something there with the cubs, but they dumped their entire farm system going for it this year and Straily would be a really bad fit in Wrigley.
                  Last edited by fish16; 10-25-2017, 03:07 PM.

Comment

• Brewers would be a good fit for Straily

Comment

• Dee Gordon 9.1 WAR in his 3 seasons in Miami.

EXTREMELY overrated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                        Dee Gordon 9.1 WAR in his 3 seasons in Miami.

EXTREMELY overrated.
                        well, one of those seasons was a half year. is 5/50 a bad contract for someone who cranks out 3 war seasons (for a non-garbage franchise) and was theoretically trending upward after a 4.7-5.0 war season when he signed that deal?

Comment

• Girardi is out of a job in NY.

Comment

• Originally posted by Madman81 View Post
                            well, one of those seasons was a half year. is 5/50 a bad contract for someone who cranks out 3 war seasons (for a non-garbage franchise) and was theoretically trending upward after a 4.7-5.0 war season when he signed that deal?

I was being sarcastic. In fish16’s lengthy last post he says Dee is overrated.
                            Last edited by Namaste; 10-26-2017, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                              I was being sarcastic. In fish16’s lengthy last post he says Dee is overrated.
                              I didnt say he isnt good. I said he is overrated. Especially his bat. I love his fielding from the 2b position, and id love his bat if we were fortunate enough to have him hit 8th for us or 9th on an AL team. But as far as a leadoff hitter with this current team he is an easy choice to go given his offensive output relative to his contract. I think you can get someone to out produce him from an OPS standpoint. I think Dietrich can out OPS him and give the lineup more power than Dee can. My biggest thing with Dee is an absolute inability to hit for anything other than slapping singles.
                              Last edited by fish16; 10-26-2017, 12:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                                I didnt say he isnt good. I said he is overrated. Especially his bat. I love his fielding from the 2b position, and id love his bat if we were fortunate enough to have him hit 8th for us or 9th on an AL team. But as far as a leadoff hitter with this current team he is an easy choice to go given his offensive output relative to his contract. I think you can get someone to out produce him from an OPS standpoint. I think Dietrich can out OPS him and give the lineup more power than Dee can. My biggest thing with Dee is an absolute inability to hit for anything other than slapping singles.
                                He turns singles into doubles by stealing a base. Its our ability to hit with RISP that killed us all yr. Besides pitching

Comment

Working...
                                X