No announcement yet.

Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give me Mags in CF, Vlad Jr at 1B in a year or two and send Castro and Straily packing and I’m right back on the Marlins R Great bandwagon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
      I’m pretty sure best case scenario with Sierra is Dee Gordon, Jarod Dyson or Juan Pierre with a real good arm.
      For the sake of debate, that's really good right? That's a 2.5+ WAR player pretty much, with some peak 4 WAR years. That's a really good best case scenario, with a high floor prospect whose value is based on defense?

-Pierre averaged 2.7 WAR in his prime (peak 4.2), 2001-2007.
      -Gordon has averaged 3.1 the last 4 years (peak 4.8), and he missed half a season in that.
      -Dyson has averaged 2.3 the last 6 years (peak 3.1)..... but in only an average 300 PA. That is pretty amazing if you think about it. I'm not sure why the Royals didn't play him more.

I mean, I generally hate a more one dimensional defensive-speed guy, but yea?

Let's hope it's a Dyson floor and not Joey Gathright.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
        For the sake of debate, that's really good right? That's a 2.5+ WAR player pretty much, with some peak 4 WAR years. That's a really good best case scenario, with a high floor prospect whose value is based on defense?

-Pierre averaged 2.7 WAR in his prime (peak 4.2), 2001-2007.
        -Gordon has averaged 3.1 the last 4 years (peak 4.8), and he missed half a season in that.
        -Dyson has averaged 2.3 the last 6 years (peak 3.1)..... but in only an average 300 PA. That is pretty amazing if you think about it. I'm not sure why the Royals didn't play him more.

I mean, I generally hate a more one dimensional defensive-speed guy, but yea?

Let's hope it's a Dyson floor and not Joey Gathright.

No, I totally agree. My post wasn’t snarky. I think some people here are short changing his best case scenario.

Comment

Give me Mags in CF, Vlad Jr at 1B in a year or two and send Castro and Straily packing and I’m right back on the Marlins R Great bandwagon.
          Isn't Vlad Jr. a 3B?

Comment

• Yeah that was a typo

Comment

• I believe his scouting report actually says he might be a candidate to move to OF or 1B, though. So you may not have been wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                Isn't Vlad Jr. a 3B?
                3B or LF likely for him

- - - - - - - - - -

Marlins are waiting till FA sign before they start "talking" with teams

Yelich,Castro,Straily,Bour,Ziegler,Tazawa,Bearclaw ,Prado(Yelich,Bour,Bearclaw they want alot for)

If Eric Hosmer signs with SD. It opens up Yelich to SD and Bour to Boston. Bour's market also grew today when Santana signed with Philly

- - - - - - - - - -

Also signed Cristhian Adames to minor league deal. All glove UT guy who spent last 4 years with Colorado

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...tting/2017/ALL

We now have Adames and Yadiel Rivera(spent 3 years with Milwaukee) as UT options. Neither can hit but solid UT types and 26 yrs old

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by flamarlins93 View Post
                A day later and I am still pissed about the Ozuna trade. My biggest problem is getting Sierra he is just a garbage guy to get back in the trade. Best case scenario he is a fourth outfielder. Marlins already have two almost exactly like him in Lee and Miller. I would have rather them gotten literally anyone else.
                Best Case is 4th OF?? The guy has everything but power. He is gold glove CF who can bat leadoff and lead the league in SB. Billy Hamilton who can actually hit is a better best case. IF Yelich is gone he is in CF. If they keep Yelich he probably starts in RF next year till we get a power bat/another RF then he moves to CF and Yelich goes to LF

Braxton Lee is a 4th OF and Brian Miller is Brett Gardner LF type

MLB.com grades for Sierra from July 2017
                Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 30 | Run: 60 | Arm: 60 | Field: 60 | Overall: 50

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by lou View Post
                Still need more pitching. Hopefully they get another 2-3 Neidert or better arms for Straily, Castro, Bour, and Barraclough now or the deadline.
                Should be able to get a nice college arm at #13-Very Heavy Pitcher Draft

Arms from #10-13
                Jackson Kowar
                Ryan Rolison
                Casey Mize
                Logan Gilbert

Take one of them and move fast. Jax in 2019 2020/21 ETA
                Last edited by tjfla; 12-15-2017, 02:25 PM.

Comment

• Signed Rafael Ortega (4th OF type like Braxton Lee NOT Magnerius Sierra)

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...tting/2017/ALL

Comment

• Chris Cotillo‏Verified account
                    @ChrisCotillo
                    6s7 seconds ago
                    More
                    Source: Dodgers in agreement with righty Tom Koehler on a 1-year deal, pending physical.
                    becomes an allstar

Comment

• Koehler will have a career year as a 7th inning guy.

Comment

Koehler will have a career year as a 7th inning guy.
                        amazing we never tried to utilize him when it was obvious for like 4 years that he would make a damn good reliever.

Comment

• Best Case is 4th OF?? The guy has everything but power. He is gold glove CF who can bat leadoff and lead the league in SB. Billy Hamilton who can actually hit is a better best case. IF Yelich is gone he is in CF. If they keep Yelich he probably starts in RF next year till we get a power bat/another RF then he moves to CF and Yelich goes to LF

Braxton Lee is a 4th OF and Brian Miller is Brett Gardner LF type

MLB.com grades for Sierra from July 2017
                          Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 30 | Run: 60 | Arm: 60 | Field: 60 | Overall: 50

Billy Hamilton and Sierra numbers were pretty similar in the minors batting and obp. The major exception is stolen bases from all reports I read Sierra is not a natural at stealing bases and tends to get thrown out quite a bit. The most SB he has at the minor league level is 31 for a season. Sierra doesn't walk much either about 20 times a season. I think best case he can be close to Dee Gordon but I don't believe he will hit as well as Dee. I believe he will be closer to Adeiny Hechavarria with stellar defense and show very little with the bat.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                            amazing we never tried to utilize him when it was obvious for like 4 years that he would make a damn good reliever.
                            One of many we didn't realize could be dominant RP if given the chance

- - - - - - - - - -

Braves/Dodgers make a trade

Dodgers tried to pawn off Adrian Gonzalez/McCarthy off on us in Stanton trade

Braves just saved 22 million for 2019. Yelich and Prado=25 million for 2019 just saying and Markakis will be gone

Maybe Yelich and Prado for Markakis or Kazmir( Both FA 2019) and prospects works well?
                            Last edited by tjfla; 12-16-2017, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• Matt Kemp is gonna be a free agent after the braves cut him i think. Would make sense as a stop gap guy for us for a few years.

Comment

• They gonna sign both AGon and Kemp.
                                "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                                - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Working...
                                X