Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
    These guys have 8.1 innings pitched and 60 ABs at the MLB level between the three of them. Just because the Marlins will be forced to use them at the big league level next year, doesn't necessarily mean they should be in the big leagues. Plus, with how this team will be tanking next year, whether they'll be playing at the big league level next year should not even be a consideration in these trades.
    I would sure hope they keep Sierra and Alcantara down until Mid-May minimum as that would create an "extra" year of service time, as they would be under 1 year after this season, and thus be under control 19-24. Although they would surely be Super 2s and have 4 years or arbitration starting in 2021. If they want to maximize their value, they should probably both stay in AAA until some random August day to avoid being Super 2s. They probably each need the time in New Orleans anyways so I don't see any bad faith there. That's what I would do. Gallen can come up a bit earlier in June as he has no service time.

Just a reminder old regime/Hill could have kept Fernandez down 2 1/2 weeks to start his first year to add another year of control. Always fun to think about that sore mismanagement even if it doesn't matter anymore for obvious sad reasons.

Comment

• if we keep the guys from the STL trade in the minors to start the year until july, do we get an extra year of team control? because if that's the case, they better do that.

- - - - - - - - - -

and lou answers my question as i post it lol

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
        can we speak for a moment about how terrible that Cervenka trade was and how it was beyond obvious how bad it was the second it was announced?
        Lets NOT. Seymour has turned into a nice prospect as soon as they moved him back to CF and Mader is a solid arm(probably better than Cervenka was when we got him)

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by lou View Post
        I would sure hope they keep Sierra and Alcantara down until Mid-May minimum as that would create an "extra" year of service time, as they would be under 1 year after this season, and thus be under control 19-24. Although they would surely be Super 2s and have 4 years or arbitration starting in 2021. If they want to maximize their value, they should probably both stay in AAA until some random August day to avoid being Super 2s. They probably each need the time in New Orleans anyways so I don't see any bad faith there. That's what I would do. Gallen can come up a bit earlier in June as he has no service time.

Just a reminder old regime/Hill could have kept Fernandez down 2 1/2 weeks to start his first year to add another year of control. Always fun to think about that sore mismanagement even if it doesn't matter anymore for obvious sad reasons.
        Brad Hand can be added to that list of mismanagement

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
          a team with one of the deepest farm systems in baseball just used them this past year at the big league level for short stints.
          Looking at their numbers from last year, can you honestly tell me you think Alcantara and Sierra will be productive members of a major league lineup and rotation as early as next year? If you can't say that, then what is the point of using the fact that they'll be in the majors next year as some kind of positive in favor of this St. Louis trade compared to other potential trades?

Alcantara and Sierra may end up as good players they both have the physical talents it seems, but it hasn't translated to on-field success yet, and I don't know how we can pencil them in as flipping that switch once they get every day Major League playing time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
            Looking at their numbers from last year, can you honestly tell me you think Alcantara and Sierra will be productive members of a major league lineup and rotation as early as next year? If you can't say that, then what is the point of using the fact that they'll be in the majors next year as some kind of positive in favor of this St. Louis trade compared to other potential trades?

Alcantara and Sierra may end up as good players they both have the physical talents it seems, but it hasn't translated to on-field success yet, and I don't know how we can pencil them in as flipping that switch once they get every day Major League playing time.
            oh, i wasnt arguing that they will be good at the ML level this year, just was countering your point cause you said that if they are with the big league team this year it will be because we're tanking, whereas a team with a great farm system just called them up for spot duty last year.

Comment

• MLB.com just updated our prospect rankings. Alcantara 1, Guzman 2, Sierra is 5, Neidert is 7, Torres from the Dee trade is 14, and Gallen is 15.

Comment

• They had Guzman 3 yesterday after Rogers and Garrett. So thats cool I guess.
                "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• we've added 6 out of our top 10 since the draft in june according to mlb.coms rankings

Comment

• MLB.com isn't the best for rankings. Rogers has never pitched and Garrett 15 innings. They were #1/2 based on being 1st Rd Picks

They base rankings on name/how much signed for/when drafted

Gallen is #15 because he doesn't do anything great but can pitch and pound the zone. Its like Braxton Lee(Not in Top 30 but should be solid 4th OF in ML)

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                      MLB.com isn't the best for rankings. Rogers has never pitched and Garrett 15 innings. They were #1/2 based on being 1st Rd Picks

They base rankings on name/how much signed for/when drafted

Gallen is #15 because he doesn't do anything great but can pitch and pound the zone. Its like Braxton Lee(Not in Top 30 but should be solid 4th OF in ML)
                      ya im aware of that. was just reporting what their rankings are. want to see BA's and baseball prospectus' rankings whenever they come out.

Comment

• Still need more pitching. Hopefully they get another 2-3 Neidert or better arms for Straily, Castro, Bour, and Barraclough now or the deadline.

Comment

• A day later and I am still pissed about the Ozuna trade. My biggest problem is getting Sierra he is just a garbage guy to get back in the trade. Best case scenario he is a fourth outfielder. Marlins already have two almost exactly like him in Lee and Miller. I would have rather them gotten literally anyone else.

Comment

• Originally posted by flamarlins93 View Post
                            A day later and I am still pissed about the Ozuna trade. My biggest problem is getting Sierra he is just a garbage guy to get back in the trade. Best case scenario he is a fourth outfielder. Marlins already have two almost exactly like him in Lee and Miller. I would have rather them gotten literally anyone else.
                            im not his biggest fan and wish they would have gotten another one of the of's, but "best case scenario he is a fourth outfielder" is flat out wrong. His game is mostly defense and he is elite at defense as compared to the two you mentioned. i like those 2, especially miller, but he is not nearly the defender Sierra is.

Comment

• I’m pretty sure best case scenario with Sierra is Dee Gordon, Jarod Dyson or Juan Pierre with a real good arm.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                                I’m pretty sure best case scenario with Sierra is Dee Gordon, Jarod Dyson or Juan Pierre with a real good arm.
                                I think Jarrod Dyson with a little better hit tool. He has the chance to be one of guys who gives you a few WAR a year with his defense alone.

Comment

Working...
                                X