Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
    The White Sox remind me of the up and down spending of Loria, although they tend to spend more. There is really no rhyme or reason to their plans, though. One year they are buyers, the next they are sellers, and they never win.
    they have the best farm system in baseball, they are doing the rebuild right and just need to stick to their current plan.

Comment

The White Sox remind me of the up and down spending of Loria, although they tend to spend more. There is really no rhyme or reason to their plans, though. One year they are buyers, the next they are sellers, and they never win.
      They think they can get him to resign and since he is a FA the price isn't to crazy. Rick Hahn said they are ready to move onto next level of rebuild plan

1st level is get much talent
      2nd level is start getting young(25-27) guys to help
      3rd level is raise payroll

Comment

• The Marlins just got a pretty underwhelming return for Ozuna. I realize Yelich is under control for longer, but I don't have any reason to believe they'll be able to get one of the best prospects in baseball for Yelich.

Comment

• I’m starting to think Starlin Castro might stay here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
            I’m starting to think Starlin Castro might stay here.
            ? Why u think that

- - - - - - - - - -

Might take a few weeks but Castro will go to NYM or Milwaukee with Straily

Miami is waiting on the FA to sign before they get serious about Castro,Straily,RP

Comment

• Milwaukee is such a good fit for them.
              "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
              - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph View Post
                Milwaukee is such a good fit for them.
                Yep even more so if they miss on all the 2B/SP FA

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                  they have the best farm system in baseball, they are doing the rebuild right and just need to stick to their current plan.
                  That's why the Machado talk doesn't make sense.

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                  The Marlins just got a pretty underwhelming return for Ozuna. I realize Yelich is under control for longer, but I don't have any reason to believe they'll be able to get one of the best prospects in baseball for Yelich.
                  This.

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                  They think they can get him to resign and since he is a FA the price isn't to crazy. Rick Hahn said they are ready to move onto next level of rebuild plan

1st level is get much talent
                  2nd level is start getting young(25-27) guys to help
                  3rd level is raise payroll
                  Except they have a competent front office that got great deals for guys and rebuilt their system in 2 trades.

Comment

• On Toronto

Scott Mitchell‏Verified account @ScottyMitchTSN ยท 19h19 hours ago

Atkins touched on Christian Yelich very generally and feels they have the necessary pieces in their system to get a deal done. Wasn’t saying they’re trying to, just feels like they could.
                    #BlueJays

Atkins is Jays GM.

Reports are they called on Ozuna and were told Vlad Jr AND Bichette has to be in deal. If Toronto trades Donaldson to St Louis could see a package of Yelich and Prado or Castro to Toronto for Vlad Jr AND Bichette,Gourriel,Alford or other pieces from Toronto and/or St Louis?

- - - - - - - - - -

Did anyone realize Steve Phillips works for TSN? Guess he has to have affairs with barely legal Canadian girls now

Steve Phillips: One of the things I found out is what the Marlins wanted from the Blue Jays. Toronto checked in and asked what they wanted for Ozuna, but the Marlins came back and said they wanted Bo Bichette and Vladimir Guerrero Jr. Both of them. And that was the starting point of the discussions, and clearly it was the ending point for the Blue Jays. Toronto is an organization that covets their young players and they don’t want to give up those two young guys for Ozuna. So Christian Yelich, who’s got five years of control, is a year younger than Ozuna and is arguably a more valuable player overall, the asking price seemingly will be higher than what it was for Ozuna, and will maybe be a non-starter for the Blue Jays all along.

- - - - - - - - - -

Not sure how truthful that was since reports were they were fine with Bichette but lower prospects weren't enough.
                    Last edited by tjfla; 12-14-2017, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• I doubt they give up Vlad. If Bo was on the table for Ozuna. Wow I hate Mike Hill.
                      "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                      - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph View Post
                        I doubt they give up Vlad. If Bo was on the table for Ozuna. Wow I hate Mike Hill.
                        Well Phillips said Miami asked for Vlad Jr and Bo. I heard they offered Bo but the rest of the deal wasn't great

St Louis deal got them 3 ML Players unless something horrible happens so I can understand them taking that instead of Bo and a few ok prospects

Comment

• Ya, Bo bichette is nice obviously, but the rest of their system isnt very promising so if it was just bo and a few other not so great prospects, im cool with not taking that offer. I think in the long run we will end up liking this STL deal. Only thing i dont like about it is that it is SO reliant on Alcantara panning out, but we'll see how everything ends up panning out

- - - - - - - - - -

Next move should be going to milwaukee with Straily and Castro. Makes a ton of sense for each side.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                            On Toronto

Scott Mitchell‏Verified account @ScottyMitchTSN ยท 19h19 hours ago

Atkins touched on Christian Yelich very generally and feels they have the necessary pieces in their system to get a deal done. Wasn’t saying they’re trying to, just feels like they could.
                            #BlueJays

Atkins is Jays GM.

Reports are they called on Ozuna and were told Vlad Jr AND Bichette has to be in deal. If Toronto trades Donaldson to St Louis could see a package of Yelich and Prado or Castro to Toronto for Vlad Jr AND Bichette,Gourriel,Alford or other pieces from Toronto and/or St Louis?

- - - - - - - - - -

Did anyone realize Steve Phillips works for TSN? Guess he has to have affairs with barely legal Canadian girls now

Steve Phillips: One of the things I found out is what the Marlins wanted from the Blue Jays. Toronto checked in and asked what they wanted for Ozuna, but the Marlins came back and said they wanted Bo Bichette and Vladimir Guerrero Jr. Both of them. And that was the starting point of the discussions, and clearly it was the ending point for the Blue Jays. Toronto is an organization that covets their young players and they don’t want to give up those two young guys for Ozuna. So Christian Yelich, who’s got five years of control, is a year younger than Ozuna and is arguably a more valuable player overall, the asking price seemingly will be higher than what it was for Ozuna, and will maybe be a non-starter for the Blue Jays all along.

- - - - - - - - - -

Not sure how truthful that was since reports were they were fine with Bichette but lower prospects weren't enough.
                            So they asked the Blue Jays for two of the top 25 (one of them top 5) prospects in baseball, and then settled on a fringe top 100 prospect from St. Louis? This front office sucks.

If they can land Vlad, I would trade Yelich. If you can get both I'd drive him to Toronto myself.
                            Last edited by sports24/7; 12-14-2017, 01:25 PM.

Comment

So they asked the Blue Jays for two of the top 25 (one of them top 5) prospects in baseball, and then settled on a fringe top 100 prospect from St. Louis? This front office sucks.

If they can land Vlad, I would trade Yelich. If you can get both I'd drive him to Toronto myself.
                              Yep u are right,Miami asked for 2 Top Prospects in Baseball and were told NO. So they settled for 3 Major Leaguers instead of 1(Likely)

Doubtful u get both but looks like Atkins knows exactly what it would take and Josh Donaldson to St Louis might help. Vlad Jr,Alford or Gourriel, low level prospect and some St Louis pitching prospects?

Bigger question is Would u mention that we didn't get 3 Top 100 prospects in every post if we got the #2 Overall prospect in baseball?
                              Last edited by tjfla; 12-14-2017, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                                Yep u are right,Miami asked for 2 Top Prospects in Baseball and were told NO. So they settled for 3 Major Leaguers instead of 1(Likely)
                                What?

Comment

Working...
                                X