Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
    The Marlins need to move on and start making other moves.
    if he says no to STL or SF or doesnt say anything at all before the winter meetings start, i agree 100%. Id give him till the beginning of the meetings and then if he plays hard ball than we play hard ball right back and he can enjoy his huge apartment down here as the lone star player on a horrific team. Then just start moving others to begin the rebuild.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
      If I’m Stanton, I REALLY want to go to LAD if my current team (where I wanted to stay and win) doesn’t want me.

So I would take AS LONG AS I NEED to make that come to fruition. It’s a life changing event and he gets one shot to get it right.

He doesn’t need to hurry up so the Marlins can start the rest of their 3 year rebuild.
      I agree with you, but it could come back to bite him in the end. If the Dodgers are never going to give Miami a legitimate offer, and SF is really his second choice, if SF gets tired of waiting and moves on, that limits his options to playing somewhere he really doesn't want to live, or playing on a rebuilding team.

Also, the rest of the league is waiting on him. While that's not really his fault, or even his problem, it could damage his image around the league if this thing drags on.

- - - - - - - - - -

A reporter out of the Bay Area named Alex Pavlovic:

This can obviously change as it goes, but Giants expect a Stanton decision by the end of the week. I'm hearing they continue to view Dodgers, not Cardinals, as biggest threat.
      Last edited by sports24/7; 12-06-2017, 02:54 PM.

Comment

• that would make sense. I think Stanton knows this needs to be decided by Sunday either way.

Comment

• Jim Bowden:

Do not under estimate the #Dodgers in regards to Giancarlo Stanton. If they decide they want him…they can beat the Giants deal and with creativity still stay below luxury tax. If Stanton holds out he’ll get his first choice which is LaLa land. Decision should be done by Sun.
          The Dodgers are both my best hope and biggest fear. They have a great system and some ML players that would be fun as well (Pederson). But the worst case scenario is Stanton and the Dodgers work this where they try and hold the Marlins hostage on this. If that happens, I really hope they have the stones to tell the Dodgers to fuck off, and hang on to Stanton.

- - - - - - - - - -

There's also this:

Bobby Evans confirmed Stanton was in LA meeting last Thursday and that Giants agreed to terms with Marlins. Of course, Stanton needs to approve any deal. Evans interviewed on Giants' radio flagship, KNBR.
          So we now have confirmation that it's no longer multiple versions of a deal. They have a specific one agreed upon. Hopefully, if it's the Giants he does end up going to, it's the one Mish said, and not a crappier version of that.

Comment

• btw I dont know how thisisnt a bidding war if they are willing to eat 45 million. Its 10/250 and Bryce Harper will likely get 10/400, JD Martinez wants 7/210. That contract is not bad at all. Which is why I wanted them to sell everyone else and keep Stanton.
            "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
            - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• mish doing this periscope thing saying Dee gordon will be traded in the next week. Says its already set up, and also adds that its not the Mets or the brewers for what it's worth.

Comment

• Angels.
                "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph View Post
                  Angels.
                  that's what i think as well. them or the blue jays also make sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                    mish doing this periscope thing saying Dee gordon will be traded in the next week. Says its already set up, and also adds that its not the Mets or the brewers for what it's worth.
                    Angels,Phillies,Blue Jays were the 3 teams

Blue Jays just got Diaz so not sure they still in. Phillies want an improvement over Hernandez. Angels have been faves since Oct and even with all their rumors/signings nothing about 2B so gonna say its LAA. For what???? Who the hell knows anymore-I heard ML ready RP and prospect

Man I wish Artie Moreno was in Miami instead of LA. Imagine what he would do here

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                    Jim Bowden:

The Dodgers are both my best hope and biggest fear. They have a great system and some ML players that would be fun as well (Pederson). But the worst case scenario is Stanton and the Dodgers work this where they try and hold the Marlins hostage on this. If that happens, I really hope they have the stones to tell the Dodgers to fuck off, and hang on to Stanton.

- - - - - - - - - -

There's also this:

So we now have confirmation that it's no longer multiple versions of a deal. They have a specific one agreed upon. Hopefully, if it's the Giants he does end up going to, it's the one Mish said, and not a crappier version of that.
                    Well everyone is waiting on LAD. Stanton gave them ANOTHER deadline of Friday(which is why Mish said yesterday another 2-3 days) but everyone knows they will call and tell Stanton's people they are talking to Miami again. Everyone wants this done by Friday/Sunday at the latest so they can go into the Winter Meetings and do more stuff

LAD creativity is they are trying to get Miami to pay some of the contract then take back another 10-15 million(Rich Hill/McCarthy/Kazmir) in salary. That way they pay Stanton like 7 million each of the next 2 years until all the big contracts leave. Miami would be open to it if they actually sent back good prospects but they want Money,Miami to take back money and crappy prospects too. Miami is open to McCarthy or another contract,Pederson or Toles and 3/4 prospects from Ruiz,White,Santana,Estevez and few other names for Stanton and 45 million Can always flip a pitcher now or at the trade deadline to a contender

Supposedly we sent them a list of like 10 prospects we liked and they sent back something that included NONE of them.

Ya that was a given when Mish said exactly what the trade was. SF took the extra cash deal while giving up more talent. Miami knows the SF/St Louis deals however the reporters/sources don't(which is why so many guys fighting over them) they are just waiting for Stanton to tell them what team. Within an hour of him telling Miami a deal will be announced
                    Last edited by tjfla; 12-07-2017, 09:55 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                      Angels,Phillies,Blue Jays were the 3 teams

Blue Jays just got Diaz so not sure they still in. Phillies want an improvement over Hernandez. Angels have been faves since Oct and even with all their rumors/signings nothing about 2B so gonna say its LAA. For what???? Who the hell knows anymore-I heard ML ready RP and prospect

Man I wish Artie Moreno was in Miami instead of LA. Imagine what he would do here

- - - - - - - - - -

Well everyone is waiting on LAD. Stanton gave them ANOTHER deadline of Friday(which is why Mish said yesterday another 2-3 days) but everyone knows they will call and tell Stanton's people they are talking to Miami again. Everyone wants this done by Friday/Sunday at the latest so they can go into the Winter Meetings and do more stuff

LAD creativity is they are trying to get Miami to pay some of the contract then take back another 10-15 million(Rich Hill/McCarthy/Kazmir) in salary. That way they pay Stanton like 7 million each of the next 2 years until all the big contracts leave. Miami would be open to it if they actually sent back good prospects but they want Money,Miami to take back money and crappy prospects too. Miami is open to McCarthy or another contract,Pederson or Toles and 3/4 prospects from Ruiz,White,Santana,Estevez and few other names for Stanton and 45 million Can always flip a pitcher now or at the trade deadline to a contender

Supposedly we sent them a list of like 10 prospects we liked and they sent back something that included NONE of them.

Ya that was a given when Mish said exactly what the trade was. SF took the extra cash deal while giving up more talent. Miami knows the SF/St Louis deals however the reporters/sources don't(which is why so many guys fighting over them) they are just waiting for Stanton to tell them what team. Within an hour of him telling Miami a deal will be announced
                      That doesn't seem like a very good package from the Dodgers. Pederson/Toles gives you a solid starting ML OF with some upside, but then you're looking at mid-level prospects with the names you listed. Ruiz is the highest rated guy on that list, and he's only 19, and only their 6th best prospect.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                        That doesn't seem like a very good package from the Dodgers. Pederson/Toles gives you a solid starting ML OF with some upside, but then you're looking at mid-level prospects with the names you listed. Ruiz is the highest rated guy on that list, and he's only 19, and only their 6th best prospect.
                        Its not but sad thing is its much better than what LAD has even offered.

The best deal is St Louis,SF is an OK deal,LAD is terrible but that is where he really wants to go. Could be worse he could say send me to the other team on my list (LAA) their offer would be terrible. At this point if LAD offers something like that they will just take it and move on. Jeter and the FO is sick of Stanton playing games they wanna move on to Gordon,Ozuna and others already

and Yes Stanton has already told the Marlins that if he is here in Jan 2018 he is opting out and they can get nothing for him

Comment

Its not but sad thing is its much better than what LAD has even offered.

The best deal is St Louis,SF is an OK deal,LAD is terrible but that is where he really wants to go. Could be worse he could say send me to the other team on my list (LAA) their offer would be terrible. At this point if LAD offers something like that they will just take it and move on. Jeter and the FO is sick of Stanton playing games they wanna move on to Gordon,Ozuna and others already

and Yes Stanton has already told the Marlins that if he is here in Jan 2018 he is opting out and they can get nothing for him
                          id rather keep him and let him opt out if thats the case and he doesnt accept a trade to either SF or STL. He would have to exercise the opt out right now though in case he gets injured and decides to stay in.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                            id rather keep him and let him opt out if thats the case and he doesnt accept a trade to either SF or STL. He would have to exercise the opt out right now though in case he gets injured and decides to stay in.
                            Thats what LA wants to. Don't have to give up anything just sign him when he opts out to replace Puig. LAD doesn't really need him right now which is why they are low balling us. Miami at this point just wants to get something for him and move on(which is why they dont even mention Alvarez or Verdugo). If LAD would make even an OK offer they would send him there but at this moment all they do is call talk some then tell Stanton's people they talked to Miami which makes him say ok extend the deadline.

Brightside is hearing SF has a Sunday Night Deadline on him so if they don't get him before the Winter Meetings start they are moving on. How true it is who knows??

Comment

Thats what LA wants to. Don't have to give up anything just sign him when he opts out to replace Puig. LAD doesn't really need him right now which is why they are low balling us. Miami at this point just wants to get something for him and move on(which is why they dont even mention Alvarez or Verdugo). If LAD would make even an OK offer they would send him there but at this moment all they do is call talk some then tell Stanton's people they talked to Miami which makes him say ok extend the deadline.

Brightside is hearing SF has a Sunday Night Deadline on him so if they don't get him before the Winter Meetings start they are moving on. How true it is who knows??
                              The Dodgers were one game away from winning the WS this year. Stanton would seemingly take them over the top. While their team is young, you never know what will happen in two years. They could regress. Stanton could regress. I think it would be silly for the Dodgers to prefer to wait two years to get him for free.

From the Marlins' POV, I'd rather keep him for 2 years, and lose him for "nothing" (they'd get a comp pick for him wouldn't they?), than trade him for a bag of crap.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                                The Dodgers were one game away from winning the WS this year. Stanton would seemingly take them over the top. While their team is young, you never know what will happen in two years. They could regress. Stanton could regress. I think it would be silly for the Dodgers to prefer to wait two years to get him for free.

From the Marlins' POV, I'd rather keep him for 2 years, and lose him for "nothing" (they'd get a comp pick for him wouldn't they?), than trade him for a bag of crap.
                                Great idea get the #30 pick in 2021 draft(who will be ready in 2023) instead of a 25 yr old OF u can replace Stanton with,3 prospects and a SP u could trade for more stuff that could help u in 2020. I understand Stanton is god in Miami but in reality he doesn't really wanna be here thru a rebuild which is what is gonna happen with or without him.

Stanton would take them over the top but its not like they have a hole in RF or 25 million to spend. in 2020 they will have lost Brandon McCarthy,Gonzalez,Puig which means 25 million to spend on Stanton

- - - - - - - - - -

Tyler Chatwood to Cubs for 3/38

and u wonder why Straily's market is big and Miami doesn't mind taking back a SP if needed

Comment

Working...
                                X