Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redo on Stanton "List"

He has 5 teams on his preference list(3 are LAD,SF,Boston. LAA is on the list but unrealistic so 6 teams really) and BEFORE he will approve a trade to any of those 5 he wants to talk to them and get an overall view. So its NOT a really list yet

Still good for us because he opened up the teams some.

Looks like Miami is gonna take offers from 6 teams if they like any of them they will tell Stanton who will then meet with that team and see what he thinks of their plan. After that Stanton will tell us if Yes or NO for that team. LAA is one of the 6 however are 99.9999% already out. Boston and LAD are on the list however have not even made official offer like SF and St Louis have
    Last edited by tjfla; 11-28-2017, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• I find this whole thing about a list from Stanton to be pretty stupid. Talk to all teams, get the best deals you can and THEN you go to Stanton and say hey, we want to do this deal with St. Louis (or whoever) and if he says no way, you say please though? and if he still says no; see if that team wants to try to persuede him if not move on to next team and repeat.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Godfather View Post
        I find this whole thing about a list from Stanton to be pretty stupid. Talk to all teams, get the best deals you can and THEN you go to Stanton and say hey, we want to do this deal with St. Louis (or whoever) and if he says no way, you say please though? and if he still says no; see if that team wants to try to persuede him if not move on to next team and repeat.
        Agreed but Stanton has power and seems to be using it. He told us these are the only teams I will even consider and half of them havent even sent an offer because they really dont want to pay him AND give up prospects. The stupid part is he finally gave us a "list" and its not even a Yes or No list its a ill talk to them if u tell me they sent u a good offer list and they have to convince me to say yes!!

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
          Agreed but Stanton has power and seems to be using it. He told us these are the only teams I will even consider and half of them havent even sent an offer because they really dont want to pay him AND give up prospects. The stupid part is he finally gave us a "list" and its not even a Yes or No list its a ill talk to them if u tell me they sent u a good offer list and they have to convince me to say yes!!
          That’s not stupid. It’s his right because of the contract he was given. It’s not ideal for us, but he can do this however he wants.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
            That’s not stupid. It’s his right because of the contract he was given. It’s not ideal for us, but he can do this however he wants.
            I agree with u like said 10000 times Stanton has all the power. I am saying the stupid part is the "list" isnt even a real list,its him telling us what teams he wants to go to(6 teams). Just tell the FO who u will put on the list and let them find a deal.

The way he wants it is(EXAMPLE) Boston sends us an offer of Devers and 2 prospects and we are like deal instead of an actual done deal and everyone moves on. Stanton wants to talk to Boston,see what they think his role will be and everything then report back to us whenever he wants and say OK Boston can be on the list.

Just wish he would have said here are the 3/4 teams send me to one of them like normal NTC and not a 5 step process that could drag on.
            Last edited by tjfla; 11-28-2017, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• Id love a deal with Boston. Didnt think theyd be involved but it makes a ton of sense for both teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                Id love a deal with Boston. Didnt think theyd be involved but it makes a ton of sense for both teams.
                Neither LAD or Boston are involved they are just on his preference list. Boston still prefers JD Martinez at this point(Less Money and they get to keep all their players). He has 6 teams on the list and 3 of them(Possible more?) arent even really involved

Comment

• Teams can do what they want, but giving huge money to JD Martinez is a much worse deal than taking on the rest of Giancarlo's deal. That will never make sense to me, he has bad contract written all over him.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Godfather View Post
                    I find this whole thing about a list from Stanton to be pretty stupid. Talk to all teams, get the best deals you can and THEN you go to Stanton and say hey, we want to do this deal with St. Louis (or whoever) and if he says no way, you say please though? and if he still says no; see if that team wants to try to persuede him if not move on to next team and repeat.
                    It seems to me that this is exactly what they're doing. We've heard they''re talking to St. Louis. We know they weren't his initial preference. It seems like they're trying to make that work, or at least explore what different options are out there.

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                    I agree with u like said 10000 times Stanton has all the power. I am saying the stupid part is the "list" isnt even a real list,its him telling us what teams he wants to go to(6 teams). Just tell the FO who u will put on the list and let them find a deal.

The way he wants it is(EXAMPLE) Boston sends us an offer of Devers and 2 prospects and we are like deal instead of an actual done deal and everyone moves on. Stanton wants to talk to Boston,see what they think his role will be and everything then report back to us whenever he wants and say OK Boston can be on the list.

Just wish he would have said here are the 3/4 teams send me to one of them like normal NTC and not a 5 step process that could drag on.
                    I don't want to keep going back and forth on the Stanton has all the power thing any more, but if he did have "all of the power", and his "1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices are LAD", then why would Miami even talk to any other teams? That's where Stanton wants to be, and Miami would have to take whatever they were offering. It seems like they are using the power they have in holding his rights, to leverage a compromise.

If there are really 5 teams on the list that's good news. It means they aren't being pigeonholed into trading him to a team they won't get a good offer from. That should, in theory, create at least somewhat of a bidding war upping the value on the return. My preference would still be the Dodgers assuming the package they'd be willing to give back is fair. They have a nice prospect pool, and I'd get to see Stanton play here in LA. Win-win.

Comment

• Do what you will with this, I've heard Stanton's list is Dodgers, Angels, Yankees. That's it at the moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swifty View Post
                        Do what you will with this, I've heard Stanton's list is Dodgers, Angels, Yankees. That's it at the moment.
                        Dodgers or Yankees would be the 2 best choices out of anyone except for maybe the cardinals. We could get a really good group ofprospects from either of their systems. Yankees apparently dont want to add the salary this offseason though. Judge and Stanton would be the most absurd pairing in the league.

- - - - - - - - - -

St. Louis, San Francisco and Boston might not be at the top of Giancarlo Stanton’s destination wish list. But the alternative — remaining with the Marlins as the lone star on a stripped-down team through a slow and potentially agonizing rebuild — might be even less appealing to him.

It’s a choice that could force Stanton’s hand if the Marlins work out acceptable trade proposals with teams that are less desirable to him than others.

According to two sources with knowledge of discussions, the Marlins informed Stanton in October that if he refused to waive his no-trade rights and accept a trade, he would remain a Marlin and team officials would look to trade off other top players to reduce payroll.

While it wasn’t presented to Stanton as an ultimatum, one source said, it shows that the Marlins aren’t without leverage in their efforts to deal Stanton and relieve them of the financial burden he brings. Stanton has said he doesn’t wish to be part of a rebuild.

Shedding the $25 million Stanton is set to make in 2018 — not to mention the $295 million owed to him over the remainder of his contract — would go a long way toward helping the Marlins reach their $90 million target payroll next season. They would also like to trade infielders Dee Gordon and Martin Prado to help satisfy that goal.

If Stanton were to reject every trade proposal and remain in Miami, the Marlins could look to trade outfielders Marcell Ozuna (projected to make $10.9 million through arbitration) and Christian Yelich (under contract for $7 million), among other core players, to help offset the salary the Marlins would be required to pay Stanton.

So far, the St. Louis Cardinals and San Francisco Giants are the only two teams that have reportedly submitted formal offers to acquire Stanton. To varying degrees, other teams are also believed to be in play for him.

Interest on the part of the Boston Red Sox is reported to be “tepid,” and Stanton’s hometown Los Angeles Dodgers, which is presumed to be his preferred destination, aren’t considered one of the frontrunners.

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reported Tuesday that Stanton has given the Marlins a list of his preferences. Meanwhile, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported that teams looking to acquire Stanton could be permitted an exclusive negotiating window to speak directly with the reigning National League Most Valuable Player, in an effort to woo the slugger should he have reservations.

With Stanton’s no-trade rights and hefty contract that few teams can afford, it’s a complex process that could play out for weeks — or even longer.
                        http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/sp...186954163.html

This is what i've been saying for a while. stanton has most of the leverage, but the marlins arent completely without some leverage either.

Comment

• Is saying, you're going to play for a bad team really leverage?

Also, doesn't Stanton have an opt out in 2 years? Doesn't that render him going to any team meaningless as he can just opt out?

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                            Is saying, you're going to play for a bad team really leverage?
                            I agree, I'm sure Stanton wants to win, but collecting $25 million a year and living on South Beach is not exactly the gulags.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                              Is saying, you're going to play for a bad team really leverage?

Also, doesn't Stanton have an opt out in 2 years? Doesn't that render him going to any team meaningless as he can just opt out?
                              if we keep him and he opts out that would not be a bad scenario by any stretch. Obviously the best case scenario would be a team taking on all of his salary and still giving us solid prospects, but thats unlikely to happen. Most likely we will get a solid group of prospects and have to eat some significant chunk of money, just spread it over 10 years under the condition that he doesnt opt out. But if he refuses to work with us, it wouldnt be the worst thing in the world if we keep him, trade everyone else but him to start the rebuild, get 2 or 3 (however many years till the opt out) of great production out of him, then he is fed up and opts out at 31 or whatever he would be and we dont get the terrible years of that contract.

That's obviously not the best way to handle your franchise player, but this ownership and front office is just working with what they inherited, so they cant really be blamed for trying to play hard ball with Stanton in the hopes that he will accept a deal to a team like the cardinals.

And, as far as your leverage comment, in Stanton's case playing for a bad team is a pretty significant amount of leverage given that he has never been on a winning team and he has already publicly stated that he doesnt want to play for a rebuilding team.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                              I agree, I'm sure Stanton wants to win, but collecting $25 million a year and living on South Beach is not exactly the gulags.
                              he's going to be living in an absurd fashion wherever he goes. 10 years of losing and never coming close to contending is the definition of the gulags of his sport. Being rich and living in a nice place doesnt solve everything. Baseball is his job and it's gotta be miserable playing for an organization like this that has been incompetent and is headed for a few year rebuild.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                                he's going to be living in an absurd fashion wherever he goes. 10 years of losing and never coming close to contending is the definition of the gulags of his sport. Being rich and living in a nice place doesnt solve everything. Baseball is his job and it's gotta be miserable playing for an organization like this that has been incompetent and is headed for a few year rebuild.
                                I don't think any of us has the inside info (not even tj) on what's going on in Stanton's head to make a statement like that. He can say playing for a contender is the most important thing all he wants, because that's what he's supposed to say, but whose to say where he lives and comfortable surroundings don't trump playing for a winning team? It's apparent that aspect of it is important to him, or else we wouldn't even be talking about this.

Comment

Working...
                                X