Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
    I know. But it'd be nice to have some money injected to the team.

Trying to get more IFA pool money when we just traded some away to the Yankees just the other day?
    that wa a pretty solid return though. Helps the yankees with a little boost to their amount and we got 2 players who likely will be on the roster to start the year.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
      I know. But it'd be nice to have some money injected to the team.

Trying to get more IFA pool money when we just traded some away to the Yankees just the other day?
      It was $250,000 for 2 guys who will likely be on the ML Roster. Not a big amount at all and a great deal for 2 ML guys-I am talking about getting 1.2 or 1.8 million. Anything under 300K pretty much means nothing because EVERY team can offer 300K to a guy. SD couldn't spend over 300K but spent 5.25 million on about 25 guys by offering 300K to them all

Like said just some talk nothing confirmed. Denbo wants to get in on some of these guys(Dont forget Blakeley got most of these guys and they are close)
      Last edited by tjfla; 11-23-2017, 12:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
        I thought those leaked plans were a positive. It showed a team who has actual awareness of their complete lack of popularity from the previous ownership in relation to their community. This team needs an overhaul as far as harboring relationships with the community and earning the trust of sponsors and other partners. I think it is a positive that we actually can see that this is a concrete part of their plan. It's not gonna happen overnight, but I think you saw with the WBC last year that there is a baseball market down here, and its about an ownership who is finally willing to go all out to court that market.

I think it will take a few years, but I think Derek Jeter is capable of building a culture within this organization and a trust within the community that will make this not even a good franchise, just not a complete trainwreck like we have been since Loria took over.

I’m pretty sure you are 1 of about 100 people alive who are thrilled about the new ownerships moves so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
          I’m pretty sure you are 1 of about 100 people alive who are thrilled about the new ownerships moves so far.
          I mean, I'm thrilled that Loria is gone. As for new ownwership, I knew before anyone took over that this wasn't going to be an easy mess to clean up. This team has been mismanaged for over a decade and just spending more money on the roster isn't the answer to fix it. Everyone can see how bad the baseball side has been run, just imagine how bad of shape the business side of the franchise must have been operated.

As for Jeter/Sherman, I'm willing to give them a shot. A lot of stuff like the broadcast changes or letting go of Conine, Mckeon, Dawson, and Perez are annoying but ultimately they are minor things that won't matter if they can execute a plan to fix the franchise. Unfortunately, that process is probably going to take a while. We will find out shortly how well they do in the first phase.

Comment

and i think the other 99% arent realizing just how much this ownership has to do. We are a trainwreck of a franchise under Loria both on the field and as far as relationships with its fan and community. The fact that they are showing they realize they need to completely overhaul the viewpoint of this team is a good thing

I understand that the moves they have made thus far might not be popular, but i think the have the general big picture of the franchise as the focus for the first time in years. Loria would change the direction of the team based on whether he was hungry or not, there was no plan, and im just happy to see a consistent plan and will give them time to figure it out.
            Last edited by fish16; 11-24-2017, 08:05 AM.

Comment

• Signed our yearly AAA UT Guy(NO bat,All Glove can play 2B,SS,3B)

Yadiel Rivera

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=592680

Comment

and i think the other 99% arent realizing just how much this ownership has to do. We are a trainwreck of a franchise under Loria both on the field and as far as relationships with its fan and community. The fact that they are showing they realize they need to completely overhaul the viewpoint of this team is a good thing

Look, I’m not full on anti-rebuild.

But you gotta admit that it’s SO FUCKING MARLINS that the new ownership is going to trade away the reigning NL MVP to usher in the NEW ERA of baseball in Miami.

14 years of not making the playoffs and we’re going to be terrible for at least another 3 years now.

New ownership (mostly Jeter’s smugness) just doesn’t have me feeling nearly as warm and fuzzy as I thought I would after getting rid of Loria.

And from my perspective, it REALLY seems like they’re sweating the money aspect of being new MLB owners and that scares the shit out of me. And I’m not totally convinced they’ll do the rebuild correctly (like Houston and Chicago). Why should I be optimistic that they will do it right?

A rebuild may very well be the only way out of this but it’s a giant, bitter pill to swallow so forgive me (and a lot of other people) for taking time to digest all of this.

Comment

But you gotta admit that it’s SO FUCKING MARLINS that the new ownership is going to trade away the reigning NL MVP to usher in the NEW ERA of baseball in Miami.

14 years of not making the playoffs and we’re going to be terrible for at least another 3 years now.

New ownership (mostly Jeter’s smugness) just doesn’t have me feeling nearly as warm and fuzzy as I thought I would after getting rid of Loria.

And from my perspective, it REALLY seems like they’re sweating the money aspect of being new MLB owners and that scares the shit out of me. And I’m not totally convinced they’ll do the rebuild correctly (like Houston and Chicago). Why should I be optimistic that they will do it right?

A rebuild may very well be the only way out of this but it’s a giant, bitter pill to swallow so forgive me (and a lot of other people) for taking time to digest all of this.
                  this is well said.

it's also not exactly endearing to the existing fan base to come in and demand the ouster of a near-unanimously popular play by play guy.

all this hard work to do rebuilding the whole team and farm system, but let's focus on on shit canning the guy who created the fantasy auction.

Comment

That i can agree with. The low payroll thing is a little annoying to me as well, obviously, but i just think that it is because Loria was so horrific that this is the only option they really had. Both on and off the field this team is hemorrhaging money and is beyond disliked in this community. I just want to see this become a normal ownership situation and i think even if we have a mid sized payroll at best, just having a solid, stable plan is cool with me for right now and ill give them time to make their mark as a new front office. I understand your hesitancy, but this front office and ownership doesnt need to be good, id be very OK with them just not being dysfunctional.

Comment

• I thought it was going to be a day to party when Loria departed South Fla. Not so sure now. A classic case of don't know what you are wishing for.

Rich gone, Stanton gone, and just about everyone else connected to the Marlins gone. What is there left for us, the few loyal Marlins fans. We seem to be the forgotten people in all of this. Jeter seems determined to make following the Marlins a living hell for the next several years. Play by Play will be boring and most likely someone connected to the Yankees. Won't it be nice to have our games interrupeted to have Yankee "updates" ? (of course I am being somewhat facetious) but it just will be different and I am not looking forward as I once thought I would to Marlins baseball next Spring. Such a shame the ones that get shafted the most are always the loyal fans, who endure the ups and downs. The franchise really shits on them the most it seems.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
                        I thought it was going to be a day to party when Loria departed South Fla. Not so sure now. A classic case of don't know what you are wishing for.

Rich gone, Stanton gone, and just about everyone else connected to the Marlins gone. What is there left for us, the few loyal Marlins fans. We seem to be the forgotten people in all of this. Jeter seems determined to make following the Marlins a living hell for the next several years. Play by Play will be boring and most likely someone connected to the Yankees. Won't it be nice to have our games interrupeted to have Yankee "updates" ? (of course I am being somewhat facetious) but it just will be different and I am not looking forward as I once thought I would to Marlins baseball next Spring. Such a shame the ones that get shafted the most are always the loyal fans, who endure the ups and downs. The franchise really shits on them the most it seems.
                        just to play devil's advocate, severing all ties to the people who were there for the incompetence and incessant embarrassing off the field moments, while it might take some time getting used to, could turn out to be a better move than keeping the same guys who were around for all of this stuff. Not that the problem was Waltz, Conine, Dawson, etc, but maybe just scrubbing all ties and starting over without having nearly 15 years of playoffless incompentence as a not so recent memory isnt a bad thing?

I understand we all grew used to all of these people around, but we were probably the biggest joke of a franchise in American sports, so perhaps just scrubbing all these memories and starting over is the right move?

Comment

• Wouldn't have thought I would say this 4-5 years ago, but I'm sad to see Rich go.

Comment

couldnt really stand hollandsworth. gas bag.

- - - - - - - - - -

how do they clean house but leave Jessica Blaylock still?
                            I agree with you on both.....Jessica Blaylock is a waste of space, and Hollandsworth....ughhhh !

Comment

• It's been super quiet on Stanton for weeks. I think they take until the day or 2 before the winter meetings and find the best offer over the course of the weeks leading up to the winter meetings. Then start on Ozuna, Bour, Straily, Dee, etc at the meetings.

Comment

• I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if it’s a 98 Sheffield scenario. Trade everyone else, wait until beginning of new season to trade him when you find the right fit and/or a team gets more desperate.
                                Originally posted by Madman81
                                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                                X