No announcement yet.

Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wanted to mention, all of this is depressing. They built a new stadium, sold the team for $1.2 billion but the new guys have no bucks to add and want to subtract. I just can't. They need Panik and 4 of their top prospects for it to make plausible sense. With the Marlins picking up no/negligible money. I don't even know if they makes sense.

What's going to make me madder is if they don't clean house if they trade him. You're not winning with this mess of a pitching staff, so it's really shock and awe moving Stanton, Ozuna, Realmuto, Gordon, Bour, Straily, Urena, Barraclough, Prado, Tazawa, and Ziegler (just keep Yelich, and maybe Dietrich/Conley as they likely can improve stock). Make it quick and see ya in 2019 when you theoretically have $50+ million to spend in free agency and hope to god a good fifteen young players to help Yelich.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
      Just wanted to mention, all of this is depressing. They built a new stadium, sold the team for $1.2 billion but the new guys have no bucks to add and want to subtract. I just can't.
      It really is.

Comment

• What’s depressing is that the franchise was run so poorly over the last decade that this is even necessary. Really, this should have been done last year when Jose died. A rebuild has been necessary ever since. Unfortunately it now falls on new ownership to clean this up...but it’s also a bad look at a time that should be all positive because Loria is gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
          What’s depressing is that the franchise was run so poorly over the last decade that this is even necessary. Really, this should have been done last year when Jose died. A rebuild has been necessary ever since. Unfortunately it now falls on new ownership to clean this up...but it’s also a bad look at a time that should be all positive because Loria is gone.
          Ya, the jose stuff really hurt, but it's not just that. It's a combination of so many cost cutting moves for nearly a decade. We have cheaped out on the draft and IFA for years, thus making us have to give mediocre free agents big contracts because we have no farm system to speak of. On top of that, because of our lack of farm system, we've taken the approach of trading what good prospects we do have for yet more mediocre veterans . We've given big money to guys like Chen, Volquez, Ziegler, Tazawa, Prado, etc when the best teams would have had in house replacements for guys like them because teams like the Cardinals draft and scout so damn well. Look at their farm system and how they are able to trade for a guy like stanton now because of that and still have tons of prospect depth left over.

Compare that to us, who gave us prospects for guys like Rodney and Straily among others and 10 + million to guys like Volquez, Chen, Prado and big deals to the easiest thing to find in the sport to guys like Ziegler and Tazawa. There is no one move that is responsible for this rebuild. this rebuild is due to 10+ years of completely cheaping out on how to run a proper organization and complete and utter mismanagement.

- - - - - - - - - -

Why arent we doing more of a purge of our 40 man and taking some chances on some guys that other teams need to get rid of? We have so many wasted spots on our 40 man that are either guys who have no chance of being claimed or have no major league future. Just to list them off: Severino Gonzalez, Chris O'Grady, Telis, Cervenka. No reason to have them on our 40 man.

Comment

• Marlins acquiring Garrett Cooper and another player from NYY per Robert Murray of Fanrag sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
              Marlins acquiring Garrett Cooper and another player from NYY per Robert Murray of Fanrag sports.
              that's a nice pickup. Give us some depth at 1b. Also was exeactly what i was hoping we would do in a post like an hour ago lol. Hopefully we see a few more of those types of pickups. Wouldnt mind us taking a chance on Mark Appel either, who just got DFA'd by the Phillies. Take as many chances on arms as we can.

- - - - - - - - - -

official deal is international bonus money and michael king for Caleb Smith and Cooper. Caleb smith looks like a solid bullpen arm too. Alright deal.

- - - - - - - - - -

Forgot Denbo was a member of the yankees front office. Gotta think he had a big say in getting those 2 in aprticular. Yankees fans appear to be a little sad to see Cooper go for whatever reason and for whatever thats worth.

- - - - - - - - - -

Actually from the looks of it Smith is a starter. Had really nice numbers in the minors last year, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                Just wanted to mention, all of this is depressing. They built a new stadium, sold the team for $1.2 billion but the new guys have no bucks to add and want to subtract. I just can't. They need Panik and 4 of their top prospects for it to make plausible sense. With the Marlins picking up no/negligible money. I don't even know if they makes sense.

What's going to make me madder is if they don't clean house if they trade him. You're not winning with this mess of a pitching staff, so it's really shock and awe moving Stanton, Ozuna, Realmuto, Gordon, Bour, Straily, Urena, Barraclough, Prado, Tazawa, and Ziegler (just keep Yelich, and maybe Dietrich/Conley as they likely can improve stock). Make it quick and see ya in 2019 when you theoretically have $50+ million to spend in free agency and hope to god a good fifteen young players to help Yelich.

Lou, don’t worry, everything will be JUST FINE* in two years

*lou, actually I don’t think it will be but fish16 said it will so cross your fingers and say a prayer

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                  Lou, don’t worry, everything will be JUST FINE* in two years

*lou, actually I don’t think it will be but fish16 said it will so cross your fingers and say a prayer
                  if they get the right haul for a bunch of these guys, they will start turning the corner in 2 years. never said it 100% will be a quick rebuild, just that it could.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                    if they get the right haul for a bunch of these guys they will start turning the corner in two years never said it 100% will be a quick rebuild, just that it could.

Hmmmm.

Sounds like a LOT has to go right just to start turning the corner in two years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                      Hmmmm.

Sounds like a LOT has to go right just to start turning the corner in two years.
                      I mean it's a rebuild so 1 down year would be a best case scenario, and it shouldnt be hard to get good hauls for guys like Straily, Bour, Stanton, Dee, Barraclough, Ozuna.

Comment

that's a nice pickup. Give us some depth at 1b. Also was exeactly what i was hoping we would do in a post like an hour ago lol. Hopefully we see a few more of those types of pickups. Wouldnt mind us taking a chance on Mark Appel either, who just got DFA'd by the Phillies. Take as many chances on arms as we can.

- - - - - - - - - -

official deal is international bonus money and michael king for Caleb Smith and Cooper. Caleb smith looks like a solid bullpen arm too. Alright deal.

- - - - - - - - - -

Forgot Denbo was a member of the yankees front office. Gotta think he had a big say in getting those 2 in aprticular. Yankees fans appear to be a little sad to see Cooper go for whatever reason and for whatever thats worth.

- - - - - - - - - -

Actually from the looks of it Smith is a starter. Had really nice numbers in the minors last year, too.
                        U forgot? I had only been saying it since last Monday that we were doing a trade with NYY by Monday at 8PM.

We also signed Jose Pena as a minor league FA from NYY http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...ching/2017/ALL

Caleb Smith is a swing guy. Can be a SP or RP that lets Jarlin Garcia go to the rotation. At worst he is AAA depth/emergency SP

Cooper will be the righty bat 1B and even tho he is 6'6 260lbs can play some corner OF. More evidence that Justin Bour can be had for SP if needed

Pool $ was 250K which means we still have 1.49million to play with

- - - - - - - - - -

We have a full 40 man however 7 guys can be DFA pretty easily when needed

Austin Nola,Chris O'Grady,Hunter Cervenka,Severino Gonzalez,James Needy,Tayron Guerrero,Tomas Telis

33 guys with another 5 likely gone or 60 Day

Tazawa,Gordon,Prado,Stanton,Volquez

So 28 spots really

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                        Mish says names discussed with Giants: Panik, Shaw, and Beede for Stanton and Gordon.

https://twitter.com/CraigMish/status/932614397452804098
                        Schulman from SF reported they discussed the names but not close to actually framework. Like i said IF we do a SF deal Heliot Ramos will certainly be in it

The Fish wanna do a deal with St Louis badly however if they can't it will likely be Ramos,2 prospects from SF and more(whether its Panik or if SF trades Cueto for prospects) for Stanton and little cash
                        Last edited by tjfla; 11-21-2017, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                          U forgot? I had only been saying it since last Monday that we were doing a trade with NYY by Monday at 8PM.

We also signed Jose Pena as a minor league FA from NYY http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...ching/2017/ALL

Caleb Smith is a swing guy. Can be a SP or RP that lets Jarlin Garcia go to the rotation. At worst he is AAA depth/emergency SP

Cooper will be the righty bat 1B and even tho he is 6'6 260lbs can play some corner OF. More evidence that Justin Bour can be had for SP if needed

Pool $ was 250K which means we still have 1.49million to play with

- - - - - - - - - -

We have a full 40 man however 7 guys can be DFA pretty easily when needed

Austin Nola,Chris O'Grady,Hunter Cervenka,Severino Gonzalez,James Needy,Tayron Guerrero,Tomas Telis

33 guys with another 5 likely gone or 60 Day

Tazawa,Gordon,Prado,Stanton,Volquez

So 28 spots really

- - - - - - - - - -

Schulman from SF reported they discussed the names but not close to actually framework. Like i said IF we do a SF deal Heliot Ramos will certainly be in it

The Fish wanna do a deal with St Louis badly however if they can't it will likely be Ramos,2 prospects from SF and more(whether its Panik or if SF trades Cueto for prospects) for Stanton and little cash
                          you also said mike hill would be a figure head with no power multiple times so sorry if i dont take every word you say as gospel.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/933004224933359616

Mark Feinsand‏Verified account
                            @Feinsand
                            Following Following @Feinsand
                            More
                            Source says Marlins and Giants have had "deeper discussions" on a Giancarlo Stanton deal. Believes Giants are favorites to land the NL MVP, though Cardinals may still be a factor.

Comment

• fuck i hate the giants being involved at all.

Comment

you also said mike hill would be a figure head with no power multiple times so sorry if i dont take every word you say as gospel.
                                U should take it as gospel AND for the 1000 time. I said NO ONE knows if he has power or not. When Jeter took over it was suppose to be him and Denbo with Mike Hill helping however the system was so bad Denbo decided to deal with that right now and they let Mike Hill stay on as the title of President.

As seen with yesterday's trade and what I had been saying since last monday Gary Denbo has power. Do u think Mike Hill made a trade with NYY or Gary Denbo liked these 2 guys and told him too?? Just because he has the title of President doesnt mean anything

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                                https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/933004224933359616

Mark Feinsand‏Verified account
                                @Feinsand
                                Following Following @Feinsand
                                More
                                Source says Marlins and Giants have had "deeper discussions" on a Giancarlo Stanton deal. Believes Giants are favorites to land the NL MVP, though Cardinals may still be a factor.
                                If u see a SF trade with someone else its gonna be a precursor to a Stanton to SF deal. They are trying to get stuff we like badly.

Comment

Working...
                                X