Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The_Godfather View Post
    Glad to hear the focus will be on scouting/minors, it's what we always should have been doing. I don't mind a complete teardown and rebuild if it results in us having the best farm system in the league for the new few years.
    completely agree. while there will be backlash from fans, its the right thing to do. every single great team in the league built it that way and it is better because it is sustainable for a decade when done correctly.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Godfather View Post
      Glad to hear the focus will be on scouting/minors, it's what we always should have been doing. I don't mind a complete teardown and rebuild if it results in us having the best farm system in the league for the new few years.
      I wouldn't get happy until Dec/Jan when we don't sign 26/27 yr olds for A Ball and spend all of our IFA every year(We still have 2 million this year). Denbo knows what he is doing and is taking over DelPiano and Meek jobs. Hopefully he does what the NYY and most other teams do and that is push the young guys. If a guy is 23 in A Ball move his ass up to AA and see how he does-shows something good and if not release him.

Good start and a long way to go but for the first time it looks like there is an actually plan
      Last edited by tjfla; 10-10-2017, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
        completely agree. while there will be backlash from fans, its the right thing to do. every single great team in the league built it that way and it is better because it is sustainable for a decade when done correctly.
        While I definitely hate the idea of blowing up the team again - especially since we have a good lineup wasted by our lack of pitching, which has been given away over the years - I know it's necessary, and I'm realizing that it seems inevitable with Jeter's comments, so I'm slowly warming to the idea.

I've known all along that a complete restart/rebuild probably is what's necessary, since we apparently still won't have any money to spend on anything and given the state of the farm system, but it's just tough to go through it again.....and I worry that the general fanbase/casual South Florida fan will see it as more of the same and write the team off for good, though being in a bandwagon market does have its benefits for that. That said, maybe we'll actually run the lower levels and "supplying tools" of the system (draft, IFA, select FA, etc.) like a real organization, so that we'll have good players to bring up when we do have a good lineup but need pitching, or vice versa......or that we'll have enough in the system to acquire an actual impact player at the deadline rather than the Rodneys and Cashners of the world.

Comment

• It's not hard to do what they want. They have the #13 pick and a #2S pick in this draft. They should go college heavy"Safe Picks" in first 3 rounds(4 picks) take guys who will be ready by 2019/2020. Then in IFA go after 1 or 2 Top guys each year. U can sign project guys for $300,000 all it takes is investing in your DR complex but u need atleast 1 premium guy for big cash. Acuna,Maitan,Albies,Vlad Jr,Sano(All ready for majors after 3 years). Jeff figured it out the last 2 years with Marinez this year and the steriod kid Nova last year

Something that would help the fanbase would be to actually draft or get guys from South Florida or Cuba or even Latin Guys. Its a cheap marketing ploy but it works. Jeff Loria and Stan Meek didn't even try to do this but all 3 owner groups said this is a priority

Just get as much talent as u can and by 2019/2020 then figure it all out. Stock up with 5 Catchers/10 SS prospects-long as they get talent that is all that matters

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
            It's not hard to do what they want. They have the #13 pick and a #2S pick in this draft. They should go college heavy"Safe Picks" in first 3 rounds(4 picks) take guys who will be ready by 2019/2020. Then in IFA go after 1 or 2 Top guys each year. U can sign project guys for $300,000 all it takes is investing in your DR complex but u need atleast 1 premium guy for big cash. Acuna,Maitan,Albies,Vlad Jr,Sano(All ready for majors after 3 years). Jeff figured it out the last 2 years with Marinez this year and the steriod kid Nova last year

Something that would help the fanbase would be to actually draft or get guys from South Florida or Cuba or even Latin Guys. Its a cheap marketing ploy but it works. Jeff Loria and Stan Meek didn't even try to do this but all 3 owner groups said this is a priority

Just get as much talent as u can and by 2019/2020 then figure it all out. Stock up with 5 Catchers/10 SS prospects-long as they get talent that is all that matters
            If we do trade Stanton to the dodgers, getting a guy like Puig wouldnt be a terrible idea as a short term/possible long term replacement in RF and a Cuban who is still good. I wish we would have gotten him last year when his value was 0 and could have been had for nothing. Buy low opportunities like that need to be seized on regardless of need.

- - - - - - - - - -

After checking his salary and seeing him being an expiring contract after next year, id just do it as a throw in to the deal to relieve them of some salary.

Comment

If we do trade Stanton to the dodgers, getting a guy like Puig wouldnt be a terrible idea as a short term/possible long term replacement in RF and a Cuban who is still good. I wish we would have gotten him last year when his value was 0 and could have been had for nothing. Buy low opportunities like that need to be seized on regardless of need.

- - - - - - - - - -

After checking his salary and seeing him being an expiring contract after next year, id just do it as a throw in to the deal to relieve them of some salary.
              I would agree if Mattingly wasn't here. He can't stand the guy and would likely say he is a bad example for the younger guys. Like the "gm's" said I could see Puig,Mitchell White and Keibert Ruiz for Stanton deal but also could see Adrian Gonzalez's contract,Mitchell White,Keibert Ruiz and another prospect for him too but also could see a 3 way to that send Stanton to LA,Puig and more to ?,prospects to Miami

Why I keep saying the first guy we need to deal is Stanton-figure out what u can get for him then go from there. So many possibilties we could get 6 or 7 prospects from a 3 way and really start a rebuild. Stanton to LAD,Puig to Toronto,Mitchell White/Keibert Ruiz/Sean Reid-Foley/Anthony Alford and low level guys Then Ozuna to St Louis for Jack Flaherty,Dakota Hudson,Harrison Bader or another ML Ready OF and ?.

Trade 3 guys and get about 10-12 prospects for 2019

*Cards fan have there own ideas*

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/st-loui...-marcell-ozuna

•Christian Yelich + Wei-Yin Chen (and his entire contract) for Jack Flaherty, Harrison Bader, Dakota Hudson, Austin Gomber, and Junior Fernandez.

I hear they like Ozuna more BUT if they made that offer I would jump on it quickly. Rather have another position(Edmundo Sosa/Delvin Perez) guy instead of Gomber but gives u 3 quality arms and a replacement for Yelich while getting rid of Chen's contract. Then u can still trade Ozuna to Toronto
              Last edited by tjfla; 10-11-2017, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• By way the Yelich asking price has not come down. They want more than Washington got for Adam Eaton still. Min 2 Top 50 Prospects and more(3-4 prospects). They are NOT shopping him but are listening to offers IF they come in at that.

They do not anticipate trading him but are listening
                Last edited by tjfla; 10-11-2017, 09:36 AM.

Comment

• I'd do that Yelich + Chen deal in a second. No one will ever take on the entirety of his contract though unfortunately. PLus I dont want to lessen the vlaue that we would receive from trading Yelich without attaching a bad contract. I dont really want to trade Yelich regardless. He has an incredibly affordable contract and should still be here and be good for cheap by the time this rebuild is complete. He can stay. JT id be cool with trading for a huge haul because he doesnt have a long term contract and in the best case will have 1 year left when our rebuild is complete.

In regards to Chen, I think we should just bite the bullet, clear as much other salary as possible/wait for Ziegler and Tazawa to expire after next year and then just hope Chen can pitch a full year at some point and either get as much value as we can from him for the remainder of his contract or hope he rebuilds some of his value later in the contract. Cause as of now he is a pitcher who cant pitch and also has a huge contract. Id hope he can pitch at somepoint in the future at an effective level and then he's just an OK pitcher with a huge contract, which is more manageable.
                  Last edited by fish16; 10-11-2017, 11:20 AM.

Comment

I'd do that Yelich + Chen deal in a second. No one will ever take on the entirety of his contract though unfortunately. PLus I dont want to lessen the vlaue that we would receive from trading Yelich without attaching a bad contract. I dont really want to trade Yelich regardless. He has an incredibly affordable contract and should still be here and be good for cheap by the time this rebuild is complete. He can stay. JT id be cool with trading for a huge haul because he doesnt have a long term contract and in the best case will have 1 year left when our rebuild is complete.

In regards to Chen, I think we should just bite the bullet, clear as much other salary as possible/wait for Ziegler and Tazawa to expire after next year and then just hope Chen can pitch a full year at some point and either get as much value as we can from him for the remainder of his contract or hope he rebuilds some of his value later in the contract. Cause as of now he is a pitcher who cant pitch and also has a huge contract. Id hope he can pitch at somepoint in the future at an effective level and then he's just an OK pitcher with a huge contract, which is more manageable.
                    Ya I know they won't just saying what Cards fan are saying about it. I would do Ozuna OR Yelich and Chen for Flaherty,Hudson,Fernandez,Bader and Edmundo Sosa in a second. Get rid of Chen's deal and get pretty much exactly what u want

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                      Ya I know they won't just saying what Cards fan are saying about it. I would do Ozuna OR Yelich and Chen for Flaherty,Hudson,Fernandez,Bader and Edmundo Sosa in a second. Get rid of Chen's deal and get pretty much exactly what u want
                      Ozuna and Chen im down to do in a heartbeat. Yelich still has a very affordable 5 years left on his deal and im not trading unless im getting 3 top prospects.

Comment

• The Heyman article about Loria being annoyed that Jeter is doing everything the opposite of what he recommended is absolutely hilarious.

Comment

The Heyman article about Loria being annoyed that Jeter is doing everything the opposite of what he recommended is absolutely hilarious.
                          Doing literally the complete opposite of Loria might not be that crazy of a strategy haha. Call him up for 'advice' all the time and do the opposite.

Comment

The Heyman article about Loria being annoyed that Jeter is doing everything the opposite of what he recommended is absolutely hilarious.
                            The hilarious part is that was the exact reason he didn't sell the team to Jorge Mas. Mas wanted to do the exact opposite of what Jeff did and he thought that Jeter would be open to him and his guys. Like usual Jeff was wrong

Loria, who’s in England and couldn’t be reached for comment, is said to be particularly upset about how recent drafts have gone. The Marlins’ last three first rounders – pitchers Tyler Kolek, Braxton Garrett and Trevor Rogers – had injuries and didn’t throw a single pitch in a game this year (and word is that this year’s top pick, Rogers, was homesick, which is more common than one might think, contributing to his season) – though it’s hard to say who else may have influenced these picks, and bad luck has been the main factor in their performances thus far.

Love the part about how he is upset about how recent drafts went. This is the owner who wants his hands on everything BUT when it comes to the draft he let Stan Meek DO IT ALL. Scout,Draft,Sign. Article says he wanted Meek gone but Jeter is keeping him.(Meek is getting demoted tho) So Jeff is blaming Stan Meek for the poor farm system even tho for 5+years he could care less about it shit he probably couldn't even tell u when the draft was

Rogers better figure stuff out because he will be in NC/FL his next 5 years
                            Last edited by tjfla; 10-13-2017, 12:24 PM.

Comment

• http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/sp...178711301.html

Clark Spencer is reporting ownership wants payroll to be around $90M for next year.....

According to a Major League Baseball source, Jeter and fellow owner Bruce Sherman proposed cutting the team’s 2018 payroll to around $90 million — down from last season’s franchise-record $115 million — as part of the operating plan they submitted to league owners during the approval process.

If the current roster was left unchanged, next year’s payroll would approach $140 million, meaning ownership would need to eliminate about $50 million to get to the $90 million target figure they presented to owners. The owners could always choose to exceed or fall below $90 million.

Comment

• It's kinda hard to build a roster for $140 million that is this bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X