Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
    You should do more research on the state of the front office of the braves and the reports coming out of their employees before you say "who cares if he treats employees like shit." Also, this team has had enough front office toxicity for the next millennium and their are plenty of qualified people out there who can lead a capable organization without treating employees like shit. I find it hard to believe a team will ever give him an opportunity to be a GM again given what the reports are saying out of Atlanta.

And i doubt we would agree to that gonzalez stipulation in a deal even if it meant getting prospects back. I find it hard pressed that a guy who will probably win NL MVP will not be able to find a team that will take him with his salary and not give up prospects when there are 29 teams negotiating against each other, even with Stanton's NTC.

Also, Stanton doesnt really have as much bargaining power as he thinks he does if he wants to win as bad as he says he does. He is under contract for another 10 years or something and has already publicly come out and said he doesnt want to be part of a rebuild here. If im the marlins, i negotiate the best deal and tell him to take it or play on a terrible team for the foreseeable future. While his NTC does give him a lot of power, his long ass contract and the fact that he wont opt out of it in a few years combined with the fact that we are almost assuredly going to rebuild and tank for a few years limits how much power he really has if he says he doesnt want to rebuild here.

As far as Ozuna, i want to see us deal with the Cards, Braves, or Jays. If the Jays give up Vlad Jr. you give up Ozuna in a heartbeat. If we go with the Cards who ahve been interested in him since the deadline, i'd love to see us try to get alex Reyes and then another one of their better pitching prospects plus an OF prospect. I'd do Reyes + Flaherty or Weaver and an OF guy for Ozuna and maybe even add in a guy like Prado, Dee, or Bour in a heartbeat. That would be a huge win to start rebuilding the farm.
    Not what I said about Gonzalez. I said they would be interested IF we took Gonzalez's salary. I doubt he would even play here. We are getting prospects back in any deal however LA wants to lose some salary if they get Stanton

More bargaining power than u think. He has a FULL NO Trade so he can pick whatever team he wants to go to. Then he says no to every trade he can just sit here and opt out.

Talking about research what is St Louis going to do with Prado,Dee or Bour? Already got 1B which is why they gave Adams away. Have 3 2B and arent paying 14 million for Prado. St Louis won't trade Reyes or Weaver and the Marlins don't want or need St Louis #1 prospect because he is a Catcher (Well according to people) So u would try for P(Flaherty,Hudson,Alcantara,Junior Fernandez),OF(Harrison Bader,Tyler O'Neill,Sierra)1 SS(Edmundo Sosa Delvin Perez) and maybe 1 of the Cubans they got

Toronto is gonna be the team all over Ozuna. Just have to see what they will give. If u get Bo Bichette,2 of Alford,Rowdy Tellez,Richard Urena and either TJ Zeuch or Reid-Foley for him u gotta jump on that too but ya ill tell Vlad Jr in a second
    Last edited by tjfla; 10-03-2017, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      Not what I said about Gonzalez. I said they would be interested IF we took Gonzalez's salary. I doubt he would even play here. We are getting prospects back in any deal however LA wants to lose some salary if they get Stanton

More bargaining power than u think. He has a FULL NO Trade so he can pick whatever team he wants to go to. Then he says no to every trade he can just sit here and opt out.

Talking about research what is St Louis going to do with Prado,Dee or Bour? Already got 1B which is why they gave Adams away. Have 3 2B and arent paying 14 million for Prado. St Louis won't trade Reyes or Weaver and the Marlins don't want or need St Louis #1 prospect because he is a Catcher (Well according to people) So u would try for P(Flaherty,Hudson,Alcantara,Junior Fernandez),OF(Harrison Bader,Tyler O'Neill,Sierra)1 SS(Edmundo Sosa Delvin Perez) and maybe 1 of the Cubans they got

Toronto is gonna be the team all over Ozuna. Just have to see what they will give
      I know what you said, im just saying that means we would not deal with them. If we were to take on any salary even for a year that would kind of defeat the purpose of trading Stanton.

I know he has a full NTC, but if im the marlins id call his bluff and if he wants to opt out in a few years and potentially lose hundreds of millions guaranteed and test free agency, would that be the worst thing in the world for the marlins? All im saying is that the power he does yield with his NTC, which is obviously vast, is offset at least partially by the fact that he is under contract for the rest of his career essentially unless he wants to take the risk of opting out. Ultimately i think there will be a compromise on both sides because Stanton wants to win and the marlins want to rebuild entirely. The marlins can call his bluff and say if you arent at least willing to compromise you can rot here for the foreseeable future on a terrible team.

And if STL wont trade Reyes or Weaver, you move on, simple as that. There are 29 other teams you can negotiate with. If Toronto is all over him and they are willing to move either Bichette or Vlad Jr, you go there. But you cant trade Ozuna and not get back either a superstar hitting prospect or ace type guy from whoever ends up dealing for him. I would be so fucking thrilled if we could manage to get Vlad away from them but i have severe doubts they would let him go. Bichette wouldnt be the worst consolation prize either.

And you're right about the Bour, Prado, Dee thought, i was more saying i'd give them more pieces if it meant being able to get a potential ace like Reyes. Someone like Straily also could be a fit there if they were willing to part with Reyes. I do agree that any trade with them would involve one of Bader, O'Neill or Sierra.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just looking at the pitchers in the Blue Jays system though and im not really a fan of anything they have outside of the guy they just drafted in the first round last year. I'd go all hitting and try to use Ozuna to rebuild the hitting prospect depth if we did any deal with them.

Comment

I know what you said, im just saying that means we would not deal with them. If we were to take on any salary even for a year that would kind of defeat the purpose of trading Stanton.

I know he has a full NTC, but if im the marlins id call his bluff and if he wants to opt out in a few years and potentially lose hundreds of millions guaranteed and test free agency, would that be the worst thing in the world for the marlins? All im saying is that the power he does yield with his NTC, which is obviously vast, is offset at least partially by the fact that he is under contract for the rest of his career essentially unless he wants to take the risk of opting out. Ultimately i think there will be a compromise on both sides because Stanton wants to win and the marlins want to rebuild entirely. The marlins can call his bluff and say if you arent at least willing to compromise you can rot here for the foreseeable future on a terrible team.

And if STL wont trade Reyes or Weaver, you move on, simple as that. There are 29 other teams you can negotiate with. If Toronto is all over him and they are willing to move either Bichette or Vlad Jr, you go there. But you cant trade Ozuna and not get back either a superstar hitting prospect or ace type guy from whoever ends up dealing for him. I would be so fucking thrilled if we could manage to get Vlad away from them but i have severe doubts they would let him go. Bichette wouldnt be the worst consolation prize either.

And you're right about the Bour, Prado, Dee thought, i was more saying i'd give them more pieces if it meant being able to get a potential ace like Reyes. Someone like Straily also could be a fit there if they were willing to part with Reyes. I do agree that any trade with them would involve one of Bader, O'Neill or Sierra.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just looking at the pitchers in the Blue Jays system though and im not really a fan of anything they have outside of the guy they just drafted in the first round last year. I'd go all hitting and try to use Ozuna to rebuild the hitting prospect depth if we did any deal with them.
        Ya get rid of 295 million and take back 21 million and prospects is terrible for a rebuilding team. U save 275 million and likely get 1 or 2 Top Prospects plus more. Ill take Alvarez or Yusniel Diaz,Mitchell White,Keibert Ruiz and more for Stanton. Doubtful they trade Verdugo or Buehler for him but would try

Agree about Ozuna tho but I don't think he gets past Toronto. Zeuch,Reid-Foley and Greene are NOT #1/2 guys but they are solid pitching prospects and if he are gonna build a system u get 1 of them in the deal. Difference is Vlad Jr is 3B/LF power more of a face type and Bichette is 2B/3B Doubles guy like Yelich but ya i would take either as centerpiece

The reality is it really doesn't matter who they get as long as they are ready by 2019/2020. The system needs talent
        Last edited by tjfla; 10-03-2017, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Ya get rid of 295 million and take back 21 million and prospects is terrible for a rebuilding team. Agree about Ozuna tho but I don't think he gets past Toronto. Zeuch,Reid-Foley and Greene are NOT #1/2 guys but they are solid pitching prospects and if he are gonna build a system u get 1 of them in the deal. Difference is Vlad Jr is 3B/LF power more of a face type and Bichette is 2B/3B Doubles guy like Yelich but ya i would take either as centerpiece

The reality is it really doesn't matter who they get as long as they are ready by 2019/2020. The system needs talent
          I dont think we would be getting back significant prospects though in any Stanton deal if the other team is taking on most of his money, that is my point. If we get several top prospects for taking on Gonzalez, that would be awesome. but i just find it very hard to believe they would be willing to both take on his money AND give up prospects, even if we take on Gonzalez's salary for next year. I view a stanton deal as either/or in that regard. We just have a difference of opinion.

We also just have a difference of opinion in what we are looking for in regards to an Ozuna deal. I agree on rebuilding for 2019/2020 and getting as much young talent as possible, but I just think given our current group of assets, Ozuna is essentially our best asset that id like to get rid of and i think any deal we get for him HAS to include either someone with top of the rotation talent OR a position player with superstar potential. Those guys might be solid rotation pieces in the future, i just see them more as mid-back of the rotation guys in the mold of Straily/Urena and not top of the rotation talents, and i think that is what we need the most.

We obviously dont have good pitching depth, but the pitching prospects we do have all seem to be guys who might be solid rotation pieces but not guys with very high ceilings.

- - - - - - - - - -

I do think that if a team IS going to take on his salary and give us the chance to get some impact players, the dodgers are going to be it, so they would be one of if not the top option i would look at to trade stanton. Im just skeptical that any team is going to be willing to do that. we'll find out in the coming months though, thats for sure.

Comment

I dont think we would be getting back significant prospects though in any Stanton deal if the other team is taking on most of his money, that is my point. If we get several top prospects for taking on Gonzalez, that would be awesome. but i just find it very hard to believe they would be willing to both take on his money AND give up prospects, even if we take on Gonzalez's salary for next year. I view a stanton deal as either/or in that regard. We just have a difference of opinion.

We also just have a difference of opinion in what we are looking for in regards to an Ozuna deal. We agree on rebuilding for 2019/2020, but I just think given our current group of assets, Ozuna is essentially our best asset that id like to get rid of and i think any deal we get for him HAS to include either someone with top of the rotation talent OR a position player with superstar potential. Those guys might be solid rotation pieces in the future, i just see them more as mid-back of the rotation guys in the mold of Straily/Urena and not top of the rotation talents, and i think that is what we need the most. I also

We obviously dont have good pitching depth, but the pitching prospects we do have all seem to be guys who might be solid rotation pieces but not guys with very high ceilings.
            We aren't u aren't going to get a Verdugo or Buehler but u could get a Yusniel Diaz(20 yr old OF),Mitchell White(22 AA SP),Keibert Ruiz (19yr old C) and a few lesser prospects for Stanton. What I am trying to say is at this point LA isn't even in on Stanton however they are interested IF they can lose some salary and the easiest way is to include Adrian Gonzalez's salary. Jeter wouldn't be happy about 21 million in salary however if u get a few nice prospects for taking it on i don't think he would care.

Y do u think I keep saying SF SF SF. They are willing to take his salary and give 2 or 3 of their Top Guys of Arroyo,Beede,Shaw,Ramos. They aren't MLB Top but the best SF has and they are willing to deal them

Comment

We aren't u aren't going to get a Verdugo or Buehler but u could get a Yusniel Diaz(20 yr old OF),Mitchell White(22 AA SP),Keibert Ruiz (19yr old C) and a few lesser prospects for Stanton. What I am trying to say is at this point LA isn't even in on Stanton however they are interested IF they can lose some salary and the easiest way is to include Adrian Gonzalez's salary. Jeter wouldn't be happy about 21 million in salary however if u get a few nice prospects for taking it on i don't think he would care.

Y do u think I keep saying SF SF SF. They are willing to take his salary and give 2 or 3 of their Top Guys of Arroyo,Beede,Shaw,Ramos. They aren't MLB Top but the best SF has and they are willing to deal them
              true. Depending on how much longer Gonzalez's contract is for i'd do it as a fan, but i dont think ownership would. I believe he only has one more year left if i remember correctly. I also hate SF's farm system. It comes down to what the new ownership is willing to do in aiding a quicker rebuild vs. cutting salary immediately and will be interesting to see what they choose. Id love to deal with LA's farm system though over just about anyone elses given the way they spend money and invest and how deep their team is (i.e. their willingness to part with a lot of their guys)

- - - - - - - - - -

Gonzalez would also make for an interesting trade deadline piece next year if he can get healthy given that we are gonna suck.

Comment

Yep 1 yr/21 million BUT if dealt here would just go on the 60 Day DL

If SF is willing to deal Heliot Ramos,Christian Arroyo and say Chris Shaw for Stanton I would jump on that in a second.

U get a ML Ready 1B to replace Bour and a ML Ready 2B/SS to replace Gordon plus a 17 yr old OF who was the AZL MVP. U make that deal then trade Bour and Gordon for pitching
                Last edited by tjfla; 10-03-2017, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Yep 1 yr/21 million BUT if dealt here would just go on the 60 Day DL

If SF is willing to deal Heliot Ramos,Christian Arroyo and say Chris Shaw for Stanton I would jump on that in a second.

U get a ML Ready 1B to replace Bour and a ML Ready 2B/SS to replace Gordon plus a 17 yr old OF who was the AZL MVP. U make that deal then trade Bour and Gordon for pitching
                  Im not up on Gonzalez's injury, but is his a degenerative injury where he wont play again? Because the last few years before the injury riddled year this year he was still an .800 + OPS guy. Id take teh chance on him getting healthy next year on a terrible team and then hoping he hits better in the first half and then trade him at the deadline next year to add another chance at a solid prospect to aid the rebuild. I could get behind that idea for 1 year of his exorbitant salary if it also came with a few solid prospects and ridding us of Stanton's salary.

Im just not fans of anyone in their system. The value of going to the Giants would be them eating Stantons entire salary. Arroyo just does nothing for me aside from OK hitting at positional value at SS. His minor league numbers scream average to me. Heliot Ramos just looking at his stats once is a prospect acquisition I can get behind. Chris shaw looks decent too. I just dont see much in the way of any enormous upside but that wouldnt be the worst trade in the world i guess if they were to go that route. Only way id really do it and be enthused though is if Stanton's entire salary is gone.

Comment

Im not up on Gonzalez's injury, but is his a degenerative injury where he wont play again? Because the last few years before the injury riddled year this year he was still an .800 + OPS guy. Id take teh chance on him getting healthy next year on a terrible team and then hoping he hits better in the first half and then trade him at the deadline next year to add another chance at a solid prospect to aid the rebuild. I could get behind that idea for 1 year of his exorbitant salary if it also came with a few solid prospects and ridding us of Stanton's salary.

Im just not fans of anyone in their system. The value of going to the Giants would be them eating Stantons entire salary. Arroyo just does nothing for me aside from OK hitting at positional value at SS. His minor league numbers scream average to me. Heliot Ramos just looking at his stats once is a prospect acquisition I can get behind. Chris shaw looks decent too. I just dont see much in the way of any enormous upside but that wouldnt be the worst trade in the world i guess if they were to go that route. Only way id really do it and be enthused though is if Stanton's entire salary is gone.
                    U are right beside Heliot Ramos who is a longgggg way away there is nothing to get crazy about. The big thing is they would take pretty much/if not all of his salary and with Arroyo and Shaw is they are ML ready. U get them and its the right side of your IF for years if they pan out. We have nothing at 1B or 2B in the minors so u get 2 ML ready guys and likely #1/#2 Prospect

They said degenerative but no one knows really. No spot for him at 1B so LA just dont want him-he could play but more likely is he is on 60 Day DL

Go into a total rebuild with a IF of C-JT,1B-Shaw,2B-Arroyo,SS-Rojas or Riddle,3B-Anderson and thats without Ozuna,Bour,Gordon,Straily maybe Yelich?

The goal is finding guys who will be ML ready/regulars by 2020.
                    Last edited by tjfla; 10-03-2017, 02:35 PM.

Comment

U are right beside Heliot Ramos who is a longgggg way away there is nothing to get crazy about. The big thing is they would take pretty much/if not all of his salary and with Arroyo and Shaw is they are ML ready. U get them and its the right side of your IF for years if they pan out. We have nothing at 1B or 2B in the minors so u get 2 ML ready guys and likely #1/#2 Prospect

They said degenerative but no one knows really. No spot for him at 1B so LA just dont want him-he could play but more likely is he is on 60 Day DL

Go into a total rebuild with a IF of C-JT,1B-Shaw,2B-Arroyo,SS-Rojas or Riddle,3B-Anderson and thats without Ozuna,Bour,Gordon,Straily maybe Yelich?

The goal is finding guys who will be ML ready/regulars by 2020.
                      I guess you still have other pieces to deal, but that is not an infield that gets me excited in the slightest.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just spitballing a few trades and potential future lineups:

Stanton to the dodgers for Gonzalez, Yadier Alvarez, and Mitchell White.
                      Ozuna to the Jays for Vlad Jr or Bichette, Reid-Foley, and another lower level high potential prospect.
                      Bour to the Rangers for Profar and a lower level pitcher.
                      Gordon for salary relief/non top prospects obviously.
                      Then you try and dump Prado/get rid of as much of his salary as possible.
                      Leave Tazawa and Ziegler and let their contracts as well as Volquez expire after next year. After that the only long term albatross contract you have is Chen which is essentially unmovable.

I'd be good with that for a start to the rebuild. Then you hit IFA and the draft hard next year.

- - - - - - - - - -

I'm also very open to the idea of trading JT if you get a huge offer. Im just not sure if that offer will come to fruition, but if it does you gotta pull the trigger on that to me. He is good but he is not a star, IMO. He is a really good catcher but i dont see him being a guy who has an OPS over the low .800's ever. Yelich i would be incredibly hard pressed to trade just because his contract is such a value, he is coming off somewhat of a down year, and i dont think you can trade literally every single piece of the core. Plus, he will still be a quality player and cheap when we will be built to win consistently in a few years.

TJFLA- ill give you the benefit of the doubt and stop fucking with you about having your source, but has anything been talked about re Straily? He seems like a guy who is nice to have for the next few years but ultimately is worth trading because he will be a free agent in a few years and can still get a relatively big haul if we shop him.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also, if we trade for Ramos, do we have to wait until 1 year after he was drafted/signed or did that rule get changed? I remember the Trea Turner deal which was stupid because of that rule and had him playing for half a year in the Padres organization even though everyone knew he was the PTBNL in the Wil Myers deal but I feel like i remember that rule being changed since then. Also just a friendly reminder that we drafted Kolek ahead of him when people were reporting that we were also very interested in Turner too.
                      Last edited by fish16; 10-03-2017, 05:37 PM.

Comment

I guess you still have other pieces to deal, but that is not an infield that gets me excited in the slightest.

- - - - - - - - - -

Ozuna to the Jays for Vlad Jr or Bichette, Reid-Foley, and another lower level high potential prospect.
                        Leave Tazawa and Ziegler and let their contracts as well as Volquez expire after next year. After that the only long term albatross contract you have is Chen which is essentially unmovable.

I'd be good with that for a start to the rebuild. Then you hit IFA and the draft hard next year.

- - - - - - - - - -

I'm also very open to the idea of trading JT if you get a huge offer. Im just not sure if that offer will come to fruition, but if it does you gotta pull the trigger on that to me. He is good but he is not a star, IMO. He is a really good catcher but i dont see him being a guy who has an OPS over the low .800's ever. Yelich i would be incredibly hard pressed to trade just because his contract is such a value, he is coming off somewhat of a down year, and i dont think you can trade literally every single piece of the core. Plus, he will still be a quality player and cheap when we will be built to win consistently in a few years.

TJFLA- ill give you the benefit of the doubt and stop fucking with you about having your source, but has anything been talked about re Straily? He seems like a guy who is nice to have for the next few years but ultimately is worth trading because he will be a free agent in a few years and can still get a relatively big haul if we shop him.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also, if we trade for Ramos, do we have to wait until 1 year after he was drafted/signed or did that rule get changed? I remember the Trea Turner deal which was stupid because of that rule and had him playing for half a year in the Padres organization even though everyone knew he was the PTBNL in the Wil Myers deal but I feel like i remember that rule being changed since then. Also just a friendly reminder that we drafted Kolek ahead of him when people were reporting that we were also very interested in Turner too.
                        What's with the Profar obsession?

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                          Not an obsession and obviously depends on what has to be given up, I just think he is an incredible buy low opportunity. It is clear he has no place in the Rangers plans and the positions of SS/2b are hugely valuable positions if you can get really good production from those positions. I just think he has had horrible injury luck as well as needed time recovering from a few years off due to non degenerative injuries and he can be a great addition for a rebuilding team at a premium position. He was a #1 prospect in baseball that didnt drop in value due to poor performance, it was merely due to injuries. I think minor league numbers in his career give the case for a guy with a chance to be a great leadoff guy with great plate discipline and high OBP at a premium position. I think he will be traded for a really good immediate impact MLB player. Also, Rangers fans may have hated it but the fact that they didnt call him up and because of that resulted in an extra year of team control will give them a much bigger return when they inevitably trade him this offseason.

He might be nothing, but he has a chance this offseason to be a huge steal in a trade for whoever acquires him.

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                            I was gonna ask the same thing. He isn't bad but I wouldn't jump on him unless they are giving him away. Not interested at all if it costs Bour(who will have ALL AL teams after him)

- - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - -

Nope they changed the rule. Soon as WS is over u can trade guys from this years draft.

Everyone wanted Trea Turner until that year when he looked like crap and they thought he would be crap so he fell(Totally wrong)

U can get more for Bour and Dee Gordon will actually bring some value. Ziegler and Bearclaw also have lots of value especially to teams that need RP. I wouldnt get to connected to names we get back in trades-the system is so bad any guys we get will move into our TOP 20. We need as much talent as we can get

Straily has been discussed and wouldn't be shocked to see him dealt. Teams are going to see the contracts FA SP get and interest will get even better than it already is. As for JT and Yelich,they wanna keep them both however if they get blown away by an offer they will jump on it. Jeter knows this team needs to be built for bottom up so if some team falls in love with Yelich(Philly or SD maybe?)and u get quality prospects back they could be gone.

Toronto decline Joey Bats option which means even harder after Ozuna now
                            Last edited by tjfla; 10-04-2017, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Since u were so nice ill tell u about Straily. They were about 95% complete on trading Straily at the deadline. Were talking to Milwaukee,KC and one other team at the end but couldn't agree on pitching in the deal. We wanted ML Ready arms and couldn't agree to names before time ran out. Alot more teams will be interested in him this offseason-he is cheap and if u have a big ballpark he will work out great for u

They actually held onto him and said we will let the new owner trade him instead of asking for a Eric Skoglund/Foster Griffin and settling for something else.
                              Last edited by tjfla; 10-04-2017, 10:04 AM.

Comment

I understand your point on Bour having more value than Profar, that's why I added in getting another pitching prospect on top of Profar. Im probably a little too high on him, i just think his minor league numbers show he has great plate discipline and its a chance to get a superstar talent in a buy low opportunity, which we never seem to do. Bour will 100% go to an AL team though.

As for Straily, I think we would be better off waiting and trading him closer to spring training or maybe even in spring training. Once the free agent market dries up we might be able to get better value for him, similar to the time period where we got him last year.

I think trading Bearclaw is a smart move too. Any reliever that you can get really good value for in this day and age of baseball I would heavily consider pulling the trigger, especially on a terrible team. Ziegler I just disagree that he has value. Isnt his contract for like 9 million next year? I think he is a guy we should make closer during the first half next year, hope he pitches well, and then deal him at the deadline when people foolishly look at him having 20 saves and try to get the best prospect haul you can get for him then. I just dont see him having much value during the offseason, or at least as much value as there could be at the deadline when relievers always seem to be traded at a premium.

Comment

Working...
                                X