Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Park Appears to Suffer Superficial Roof Damage in Irma

[tweet]907225638771322881[/tweet]

Looks to be just the decorative membrane, and not the structure itself. No damage has been announced yet, so inspections may not have happened/finished yet.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...urricane-irma/

Although it has been downgraded to a tropical storm, Hurricane Irma continues to make its way north through Florida on Monday after hammering the state with high winds and heavy rain Sunday. Here's the latest on the storm from CBS News.
    There are of course far greater concerns at a time like this, though it seems the two MLB ballparks in Florida made it through the storm relatively unscathed. Marlins Park appears to suffer some superficial damage to the retractable roof:

The Marlins have not yet announced any damage to the ballpark, though they may not have had enough time for inspections. It's possible only part of the roof membrane was damaged and not the ballpark structure itself.

The Marlins are currently on a seven-game road trip through Atlanta and Philadelphia -- they open a three-game series with the Phillies on Monday night -- and it is unclear whether they will play this weekend's home series with the Brewers at Marlins Park. The extent of the damage to Marlins Park, as well as the safety of stadium workers and fans, must be assessed.

hopefully it comes out of lorias pocket as a nice fuck you to him on the way out the door.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if whatever naming rights sponsor we end up with puts their logo across the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
        I wouldn't be surprised if whatever naming rights sponsor we end up with puts their logo across the roof.
        has there ever been anything that came out as to why we never got naming rights in the first place when the stadium opened? I remember Samson talking about getting close before Loria made him end his show on Lebatard, but nothing ever came of it obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
          has there ever been anything that came out as to why we never got naming rights in the first place when the stadium opened? I remember Samson talking about getting close before Loria made him end his show on Lebatard, but nothing ever came of it obviously.
          I remember before this season, they were again saying that they'd have a sponsor for this year/for the All-Star Game (maybe that's what you're talking about?).

I doubt they'd intentionally be "nice" and delay a sponsor signing so that new ownership could set up their own deal - but at the same time, I doubt the team/stadium is THAT toxic that no company would want to make a deal. I think the most likely scenario is that Loria & Co. set some sort of minimum number they wanted - a number that was probably overvalued relative to what companies were willing to offer - and wouldn't budge, and therefore gave everyone the finger and said "fine we won't sign anyone." That said, it is surprising that they'd leave any amount of money on the table.

- - - - - - - - - -

Royal Caribbean Field? Royal Caribbean Park? Carnival Cruises Park? (Carnival Park sounds better, but not sure if they'd have to put the Cruises in there). Just trying to think of local big companies that could possibly want to. Mastec Field .....hehe

I remember Bacardi Park was thrown around back around the 2012 season.

Comment

Working...
          X