Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

County to Jeter: That Tacky Home Run Sculpture Belongs to Us!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• County to Jeter: That Tacky Home Run Sculpture Belongs to Us!

The kitschy home-run sculpture at Marlins Park can’t be removed by Derek Jeter or anyone else who might buy the team, according to its owner: Miami-Dade County.

Standing 73 feet tall, the mechanical display sends marlins and flamingos whirring whenever the Marlins hit a home run. It was commissioned as part of Miami-Dade’s Art in Public Places program, which requires construction of county buildings to include art as well. The sculpture by well-regarded pop artist Red Grooms is named “Homer,” cost $2.5 million and, like Marlins Park, belongs to Miami-Dade’s government.
    Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...#storylink=cpy

So much for the Saddam Hussein-style statue removal celebration.

Honestly, I hope they keep it. It's big, ugly, but gives the stadium character, it's harmless fun. Plus how awesome was it to see sluggers pepper that thing during the HR Derby?

Comment

Yeah, at this point keep it - it adds something to the experience. Sure it's big and you can laugh at it, but it's kind of fun and exciting for it to go off when a home run is hit. Plus what would you put there?

Here's the park without it:

It looks boring.

Comment

I like the sculpture. It's grown on me. I wouldnt have put it in there to begin with but im used to it now and it would look bad without it. I think the stadium is fine just the way it is. Just wish we had naming rights, more fans, and a better pitching staff to make the atmosphere actually enjoyable.

Comment

Working...
        X