No announcement yet.

Under New Management: The Jeter Group Transition Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly, if the plan is to spend $55 million on payroll, but they spend the maximum amounts on the International market and the draft, then I'd be OK with it. What they spend next season is fairly irrelevant if it's the start of an actual plan to properly run an MLB franchise.

Comment

Lowest payroll in baseball this season in $82 million by the Brewers, so a $55 million would be the lowest in baseball next year by far. Hell their current payroll of over $100 million isn't even league average.

$55 million would've been a low payroll in 2003. It shouldn't happen in sports in 2017. Just can't operate a winning team at that level. I don't care if you draft, sign international free agents and trade as well as teams like the Cubs, Astros, Indians, etc...

- - - - - - - - - -

First thing to mention is nobody is taking Volquez. That contract is already sunk cost and just will be around $10+ million in wasted salary next season. That's just a fact. It's also likely Chen is untradeable at this point so his contract stays on the payroll.

Guys like Stanton, Gordon, Yelich, Prado, etc... (probably missing some names) are the guys making money next season that other teams would actually covet.

Comment

I think we can get to, say, 80 million while keeping Stanton, the only problem will be whether it is worth it to do so. Prado and Dee can be traded and their salaries gone if we were ok with getting nothing back. Ozuna can obviously fetch a huge haul. The problem with this however is that we will be hard pressed to field a major league roster just cutting salaries for the sake of cutting payroll and not to rebuild. That would be the reason to trade Stanton and/or yelich if this is the route we go.

IDK why a new owner would buy this team if they dont have the liquidity to field a higher payroll than aroudn $55 million, though. Kind of super annoying knowing that they bought the team knowing they cant sustain it.

- - - - - - - - - -

I think we can trade Dee, Prado, Ozuna, and some of Ziegler and his contract. Volquez, Chen, and likely Tazawa are all sunk costs.

Comment

Barry Jackson‏Verified account
          @flasportsbuzz

Mas, by the way, hadn't planned to slash payroll. New owners have told contacted investors they plan to, barring unexpected change of heart

- - - - - - - - - -

This is nothing new(like I have been trying to say) and 1 of the reasons why Manfred and MLB wanted Mas instead of Jeter as the owner however they were more than happy to get rid of Jeff and have been told by 2020-21 the payroll should be around 100 million. They can actually afford 100 million payroll now the issue is Loria is losing 50 million a year and Jeter/Sherman prefer not to lose cash right off the bat. They wanna rebrand,build a complete team(u know have a minor league system) and actually get a better TV deal which will add to the payroll in 20-21

The 55 million number is slow low because the plan is to do a total rebuild and focus on scouting much like SD/Houston did. They will likely keep Realmuto and young cheap arms

As for Stanton,Jeter loves him but they can't afford him and are trying to convince him to waive his No Trade to a few teams. On the positive,it won't be a straight salary dump but not close to what his real value is. San Francisco is the favorite with names like OF Heliot Ramos/2B Christian Arroyo as the main pieces. Like said not close to his value but it might be the best they can do without sending money in the deal and making him happy by sending him to Cali
          Last edited by tjfla; 09-04-2017, 10:36 AM.

Comment

After a 60 home run season the team should definitely get his value. It isn't hard to talk to teams trading and remind them that guys like Harper and Trout are about to get $400 million deals worth $35-40 million a year, which'll ultimately make Stanton's current contract look like a normal deal.

The team should be able to rebuild the farm system in any potential Stanton deal. Multiple top prospects and some that already have MLB experience is what Stanton's value is. That is without a doubt what they should get with him.

- - - - - - - - - -

I understand the focus on scouting, since that's obviously how the Astros, Cubs, etc.. have built winning teams the past few years. That said if they're dead set on trading Stanton he's a type of asset that should be able to skip the scouting stage and turn a bottom farm system into a top one all on his own with a single trade. Contract be damned given how quickly inflation is happening in the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
              After a 60 home run season the team should definitely get his value. It isn't hard to talk to teams trading and remind them that guys like Harper and Trout are about to get $400 million deals worth $35-40 million a year, which'll ultimately make Stanton's current contract look like a normal deal.

The team should be able to rebuild the farm system in any potential Stanton deal. Multiple top prospects and some that already have MLB experience is what Stanton's value is. That is without a doubt what they should get with him.

- - - - - - - - - -

I understand the focus on scouting, since that's obviously how the Astros, Cubs, etc.. have built winning teams the past few years. That said if they're dead set on trading Stanton he's a type of asset that should be able to skip the scouting stage and turn a bottom farm system into a top one all on his own with a single trade. Contract be damned given how quickly inflation is happening in the sport.
              Don't forget he has a NO Trade too. That is what hurts us. Toronto or Philly would love him but would he OK a trade there? Doubtful NYY and Boston would love him too but he seems to want to play out West which means LAD,SD,SF,LAA,Oak. LAA and Oakland are out unless something happens and LAA has no system. LAD already have tons of cash tied up which leaves us SF and SD if he will only go out West.

That is what they want for him. ML Ready guys and Top Prospects which is why I said if it's SF dont be surprised if its Christian Arroyo(ML Ready 3B/2B) and Heliot Ramos(Likely AZL MVP and guy Mike Hill loved in the draft but only 17) as the 2 centerpieces along with 2 or 3 others. They have ML ready guys(ML Ready 1B Chris Shaw, SP Tyler Beede,RP Kyle Crick) and a few good prospects(OF Bryan Reynolds,3B Jacob Gonzalez,LHP Andrew Suarez) Its not gonna be the value he is worth if u trade with SF but might be the only option and u get ML ready guys. Alot more value if u can trade with St Louis,SD,Toronto,NYY
              Last edited by tjfla; 09-04-2017, 12:34 PM.

Comment

This just sucks. I know it hasn't happened yet, but I feared this would happen with this group. If they had to search under the couch cushions to scrape up enough for the bid, why would they have enough to run the team at a decent payroll? We finally have people to root for and follow, and they're just going to dump them again. I realize the team isn't in the best financial shape, but plastering "JETER" on the ownership group isn't enough to show the fan base things will be different, and dumping everyone again is a big middle finger to what's left of the fanbase. I know they'll lose money short term, but they need to do it the Dodgers way - spend on major league guys, while rebuilding the system beneath that and slowly transitioning to lower-cost, farm-raised guys. I think that's the only way they're going to show South Florida (and baseball) that things are different.

And I don't get the reporting that payroll would be back up to 100M by 2020-2021. So in other words, it'll still be the lowest payroll in the sport, and with a new tv deal then, they'll still be putting the same amount as now? Think about it - we get around $20M/year now. If they make payroll $55M next year, that means they'll be paying $35M themselves (not including a potential park naming rights deal). So let's say the tv rights deal gets bumped up to $70M a year, they'd still be putting in just $30M themselves. Aren't we losing revenue sharing too?

Comment

http://nypost.com/2017/09/05/derek-j...lb-speed-bump/

Major League Baseball has promised what has been described as a “proctology” exam of a recent winning bid submitted for the Marlins by an investing team that includes former Yankees All-Star Derek Jeter — a move some say might stall the sale of the team for months, FOX Business has learned.

Key points that will be examined by MLB officials will be whether the various investors in the Jeter group, including Sherman, will be able to meet their obligations as part of the bid, and whether the bid itself contains significantly more cash than debt, according to MLB officials. MLB officials and other baseball executives tell FOX Business that the examination would likely conclude by the end of the postseason in early November, the possible last game of the World Series.

These same league executives say there is no indication at this time that the bid isn’t a good one, and that any bid would receive a rigorous review.

Some owners are concerned that despite Jeter’s obvious baseball prowess — he was a perennial All-Star during his long career that ended in 2014 and a likely Hall of Famer — he doesn’t have the business knowledge to take total management control of a team with as many financial problems as the Marlins.
                  More at the link above.

Comment

Remember how awesome August was? Those were the days.

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                      This just sucks. I know it hasn't happened yet, but I feared this would happen with this group. If they had to search under the couch cushions to scrape up enough for the bid, why would they have enough to run the team at a decent payroll? We finally have people to root for and follow, and they're just going to dump them again. I realize the team isn't in the best financial shape, but plastering "JETER" on the ownership group isn't enough to show the fan base things will be different, and dumping everyone again is a big middle finger to what's left of the fanbase. I know they'll lose money short term, but they need to do it the Dodgers way - spend on major league guys, while rebuilding the system beneath that and slowly transitioning to lower-cost, farm-raised guys. I think that's the only way they're going to show South Florida (and baseball) that things are different.

And I don't get the reporting that payroll would be back up to 100M by 2020-2021. So in other words, it'll still be the lowest payroll in the sport, and with a new tv deal then, they'll still be putting the same amount as now? Think about it - we get around $20M/year now. If they make payroll $55M next year, that means they'll be paying $35M themselves (not including a potential park naming rights deal). So let's say the tv rights deal gets bumped up to $70M a year, they'd still be putting in just $30M themselves. Aren't we losing revenue sharing too?
                      O so u just have realized this ownership group is the same as Jeff? Sorry big difference is Sherman likes baseball even less than Jeff. Why do u think this group was in 3rd place for months-they are cash poor and the FO is gonna be 1 guy and his friends.

100 reasons why Manfred and MLB wanted Mas included #1 He has cash and was willing to spend it and #2 Wanted to make Miami the team of the Caribbean. The only reasons why Manfred and MLB like this group is because #1 Jeter is involved and #2 Jeff Loria is gone

Sherman will eventually spend cash but not till he gets TV Contract,Park Naming Rights and all. Until then its gonna be SD/Atlanta/Houston-build the farm system up until its time

Comment

Hope the other owners reject this ownership group. They have no business owning a baseball team. And not just because they dont want to keep this core. That is fine to me. What's not fine to me is knowing and planning on having a very small payroll from the get go. Mas should get the team. It's incredible that Loria can bungle even a team sale to the detriment of Marlins fans. Absolutely absurd how bad of an owner he is.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                        O so u just have realized this ownership group is the same as Jeff? Sorry big difference is Sherman likes baseball even less than Jeff. Why do u think this group was in 3rd place for months-they are cash poor and the FO is gonna be 1 guy and his friends.

100 reasons why Manfred and MLB wanted Mas included #1 He has cash and was willing to spend it and #2 Wanted to make Miami the team of the Caribbean. The only reasons why Manfred and MLB like this group is because #1 Jeter is involved and #2 Jeff Loria is gone

Sherman will eventually spend cash but not till he gets TV Contract,Park Naming Rights and all. Until then its gonna be SD/Atlanta/Houston-build the farm system up until its time
                        I think we should take the SD/Atlanta/Houston route regardless, but this ownership should not be accepted given that they are so cash strapped from the beginning.

And Jeter's role in all of this is the most ridiculous part to me. If you want to invest $25 million, fine. Dont give yourself a $5 million salary a year AND a company credit card to recoup your investment as a requirement to invest. That's absurd to me. We really dont know most GM's salaries, but how many baseball ops guys get that salary, let alone one with 0 experience at all?

Comment

It's not really fair that this group is being judged so harshly before they have even had a single press conference. They have to be approved by MLB, and Manfred has said the next ownership group has to be able to operate the team properly. So I have to think that before they approve the deal, they'll make sure they aren't getting another Loria situation.

I also don't think Jeter is going to put himself in a situation where he's going to look like a failure...it would be terrible for his brand (and MLB) and why would he waste his time?

I'm willing to give these guys the benefit of the doubt until they actually give me a reason not to. Loria is leaving a giant mess and they'll have to make some tough decisions. But if they have a good plan that makes sense, I'm willing to see where it goes.

Comment

I just don't understand how they could allow that article to come out about slashing the payroll before this thing is even official. It gets them off to a sour start before they've even taken over, and I would assume it may hinder the chances of the deal of actually going through. At least have someone come out and say it's not true.

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                              I just don't understand how they could allow that article to come out about slashing the payroll before this thing is even official. It gets them off to a sour start before they've even taken over, and I would assume it may hinder the chances of the deal of actually going through. At least have someone come out and say it's not true.
                              They haven't said anything publicly yet so I wouldn't expect them to until the sale is officially approved. Maybe MLB doesn't want them to say anything or perhaps Jeter, who has always been very conscious of his image, doesn't want to say anything in case it doesn't get approved. I mean, Jeter was in town at the ballpark the past 2 days...so if they were going to talk, that would have been the time. Now it seems like they won't say anything until they take over.

But the timing of that report was slightly suspicious. There are other groups out there that want to buy the team who would seemingly benefit from some backlash against Jeter/Sherman. Not saying that's the case, but could be possible.

Comment

Here is the latest from Heyman. Jeter/Sherman meet with the MLB ownership committee next week and present their plan.

This says that the plan would be to cut payroll to the $85 million range, which is a lot easier to swallow than the $55 million figure.

https://www.fanragsports.com/marlins...s-left-answer/

Comment

Working...
                                X