The 2017 Game Thread Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
    Theres gotta be one nice bullpen arm and a veteran, steady SP we can get for a PTBNL or cash. Id give up a decent prospect (obviously if we continue the winning ways this week against 2 bad teams) for Dickey and a bullpen arm like Jim Johnson from the braves if they sneak through waivers. We need an innings eater and while I still think Chen is a decent pitcher if he is ever healthy, he's more of a guy you take as a nice surprise rather than count on.

Id give up a guy like maybe a Braxton lee or something like that if we can get a SP like dickey and another reliever to add to the mix. Id then call up Anderson as soon as he is healthy and hope Bour comes back ASAP. Im just not sure whether the braves are looking to pick up that option on Dickey for 8 million next year given their influx of SP talent so I think theyd take anything they can get for him at the waiver deadline.

- - - - - - - - - -

I'd also like to add a cheap SS/MI type guy that is an upgrade on Aviles off the bench. He is terrible. The one drawback for all of this is that Loria is still in charge and I dont see him likely to spend money in a cash for player type deal the last month before he sells the team. He could surprise us though.
    O Jeff will spend cash and trade good prospects if he thinks he could make the playoffs. He is getting 1.2 Billion soon so 2 million bucks isnt gonna hurt him. Its more about whats out there

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
      We've got to get there first, though. If we don't take care of the teams we need to take care of before that, then it won't matter.

I agree they were the right moves at the time, but sucks that we don't have Phelps/Ramos anymore and are now potentially looking for bullpen help. The SP need is obvious though. Agree about Aviles. Is Riddle out for the year? I don't remember.

Who knows, if Loria sees an opportunity to sneak into the playoffs, maybe he'll OK spending some extra money to try to get one more ring as he goes out the door. Just sign the sale papers first....
      I agree with you and tjfla. If anything I think Loria would be delusional enough to think him spending money to get a few players now would be enough to erase his ridiculous legacy as an owner. Hopefully he ponies up the cash and we can get some combination of an innings eater, bullpen arm, and bench bat.

Comment

I agree with you and tjfla. If anything I think Loria would be delusional enough to think him spending money to get a few players now would be enough to erase his ridiculous legacy as an owner. Hopefully he ponies up the cash and we can get some combination of an innings eater, bullpen arm, and bench bat.
        Well with Chen,Bour and Wittgren coming back we are likely looking for a LOOGY that can let Garcia pitch more and a MI type. In all honesty tho who the hell knows what they are thinking. Just saying its not like Jeff is cash poor now-the guy is getting 1.2 billion dollars in a few months,if he thinks he can make the playoffs he will add cash

Comment

• Can we please stop having any hope Chen will help us?

Motherfuvker had one good outing.

Here's an idea I heard that I love: Zach Cozart.

Dream scenario.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
            Can we please stop having any hope Chen will help us?

Motherfuvker had one good outing.

Here's an idea I heard that I love: Zach Cozart.

Dream scenario.
            Just like LY Chen will come back mid Sept and start 3 games for us. LY he had 3 Starts after July 20- We beat Washington 4-3/Atlanta 6-4 and Lost 2-1 to Washington. Gotta think they would love if they got that again this year. Of course Chen sucks and he should have gotten surgery LY(he would be healthy right now) but gotta think they prefer him over Nicolino

Had not heard that Cozart passed thru but since u heard the idea it must be true!!!!

More realistic targets would be BP or Asdrubal Cabrera with cash(2 million buyout next year). Both have cleared already and could be gotten easily with PTBNL.
            Last edited by tjfla; 08-23-2017, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• I think if we're gonna go after anything its pitching. We have one of the best offenses in the league. If we are gonna give up cash/prospects its gotta be for pitching, either starters or back end relievers. Any offensive additions should just be Bour or calling up Anderson.

Comment

I think if we're gonna go after anything its pitching. We have one of the best offenses in the league. If we are gonna give up cash/prospects its gotta be for pitching, either starters or back end relievers. Any offensive additions should just be Bour or calling up Anderson.
                I have to agree. Pitching will have to be the priority, with offensive help being a secondary priority.

Comment

• I think it's all dependent on when Bour will be back though. If Bour's a week away, of course you wait on him. If Bour's 3 weeks away, that's more than half the remaining games, we could no longer be in it by the time he gets back.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                    I think it's all dependent on when Bour will be back though. If Bour's a week away, of course you wait on him. If Bour's 3 weeks away, that's more than half the remaining games, we could no longer be in it by the time he gets back.
                    Understood, but with or without Bour, we still have our top 4 hitters in the lineup. If we cant get by with that then we dont deserve to be a playoff team. We have a great offense. Our pitching is not good even if guys like Chen and Wittgren come back today. Adding an impact arm is much more important.

Comment

• Well at this point it's gotta be about adding value. Do you think R.A. Dickey or whoever is a bigger upgrade over Vance Worley or do you think Matt Adams or whoever is a bigger upgrade over Telis/Moore. Maybe we can do both, which was my original statement. Either way outslugging teams is the only chance we have at the playoffs. Whoever we go out and get won't all of a sudden make our pitching good.

Comment

Well at this point it's gotta be about adding value. Do you think R.A. Dickey or whoever is a bigger upgrade over Vance Worley or do you think Matt Adams or whoever is a bigger upgrade over Telis/Moore. Maybe we can do both, which was my original statement. Either way outslugging teams is the only chance we have at the playoffs. Whoever we go out and get won't all of a sudden make our pitching good.
                        I think having Vance Worley throwing every 5th day needs to stop ASAP. That and either getting the bullpen healthy or adding a piece to help them is priority one to me. Doesnt Dietrich have experience at 1b? What about Anderson at 3b and Dietrich/Moore at 1b? We're all pretty much agreeing though we could use a little addition.

Comment

• Oh yeah if Anderson's healthy I'd be clamoring for him at 3B and DD at 1st, but I'm even more unsure about Anderson's injury status than Bour's.

Comment

Oh yeah if Anderson's healthy I'd be clamoring for him at 3B and DD at 1st, but I'm even more unsure about Anderson's injury status than Bour's.
                            Ya, weird how we havent heard anything about him. Frisaro on August 17 said it was a mild concussion.

- - - - - - - - - -

Milwaukee about to lose again. A loss by them and a win by us tonight and we will be a game and a half behind them. And we can pass the cardinals with a win tonight and a loss by them.

Need a solid start by Nicolino. Dont know what the impact on the game will be but there was a pretty significant cold front that went through the northeast after last nights game. Dropped temps by 25 degrees from what i had heard this morning. Not sure what that will do to the ball but yesterday was ridiculous.

Comment

• They head to the Dodgers next.

- - - - - - - - - -

At this point we need to call Peters up. Replace Worley with him.

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamRavs View Post
                                They head to the Dodgers next.

- - - - - - - - - -

At this point we need to call Peters up. Replace Worley with him.
                                l looked at his stats since he came back and he definitely seems ready. Honestly it cant be much worse than Worley.

- - - - - - - - - -

Theres plenty of room we can make for him on the 40 man too. Volquez to the 60 day, DFA O'Grady or Severino Gonzalez, Cervenka, 60 day for Riddle or Prado if he doesnt come back. Plenty of options so that shouldnt be an issue.

September callups are coming soon. Anderson and Peters seem like the only real options besides maybe a speed guy off the bench.

Comment

Working...
                                X