Trade Deadline Watch 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...723-story.html

Not that you can believe anything the FO says, but Hill says the core guys are staying until ownership is figured out.

The Miami Marlins intend on retaining their best players until the team’s ownership situation clears up, president of baseball operations Michael Hill said Sunday.

That hasn’t stopped other major league clubs from checking in on the Marlins’ core pieces — Giancarlo Stanton, Christian Yelich, Marcell Ozuna, J.T. Realmuto, Dan Straily and Justin Bour — but for now Hill said he has no intentions of trading anybody in that group.

“It's been fairly consistent with people checking in to see where we're at, to see if we may be open to expanding the players we're talking about,” Hill said. “Just tell them who is in play and the other guys are not.”

Until a new regime can come in and decide on a big-picture direction for the franchise, don’t expect the Marlins’ top players to go anywhere.

There doesn’t seem to be any urgency for Hill to make significant moves leading up to the July 31 trade deadline.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
      Brad Hand was pretty bad as a Marlin. You can't really fault them for letting him go.
      Agreed, my bigger issue is the fact that we have countless examples of players who stink as marlins and figure it out the second they go elsewhere. The hand thing to me is more of an indictment on the marlins horrific player development program rather than the front office letting him go.

Comment

• Every team has an example like Hand. I mean, we got Bour in the minor league Rule 5 draft from the Cubs. The bigger problem is the trading of talent for guys like Rodney, Cashner and Cosart.
        Last edited by fauowls44; 07-23-2017, 01:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
          http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...723-story.html

Not that you can believe anything the FO says, but Hill says the core guys are staying until ownership is figured out.
          U can't but this has been the message the past week. They will listen on Stanton if someone asks but the others don't even bring up the name. IF the new ownership is in place by the GM Meetings don't be surprised to see Bour,Ozuna and possibly Stanton gone. More likely tho these guys are all around till next year's trade deadline tho

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
            Every team has an example like Hand. I mean, we got Bour in the minor league Rule 5 draft from the Cubs. The bigger problem is the trading of talent for guys like Rodney, Cashner and Cosart.
            At least Cosart was a controllable pitcher at the time. Cashner wasn't any good and hadn't been for years, yet we did it anyway, and Rodney was a prime regression candidate. Regardless, there have been several such moves lately that have definitely killed the team's depth. And our system has been so bad, we couldn't get good "go for it" players like most teams; we had to acquire (and overpay) for mediocre guys. Oh well....

Comment

At least Cosart was a controllable pitcher at the time. Cashner wasn't any good and hadn't been for years, yet we did it anyway, and Rodney was a prime regression candidate. Regardless, there have been several such moves lately that have definitely killed the team's depth. And our system has been so bad, we couldn't get good "go for it" players like most teams; we had to acquire (and overpay) for mediocre guys. Oh well....
              ya that move was absolutely mind boggling at the time. We got super lucky we got castillo back and were able to trade him for Straily. Also, Capps last 10 minor league outings is 11.1 IP, 11 k's, 1 walk.
              Last edited by fish16; 07-23-2017, 03:45 PM.

Comment

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...723-story.html

Fish Fans are the best. They read and comment on the article saying NO fire sale this time and think they mean for good like the new owner is gonna build around them. To anyone on this board who reads this-the Fire Sale is coming just not until the new owners take over. So dont get your hopes up because alot(4 or 5) of those 6 guys already have their bags packed and will be out before 7/31/18

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                  Fish Fans are the best. They read and comment on the article saying NO fire sale this time and think they mean for good like the new owner is gonna build around them. To anyone on this board who reads this-the Fire Sale is coming just not until the new owners take over. So dont get your hopes up because alot(4 or 5) of those 6 guys already have their bags packed and will be out before 7/31/18
                  again, im not sure why you think you are some incredible baseball intellectual with this incredible inside knowledge, but we all understand this. Nothing in rmc523's comment would insinuate that he doesnt know that. In fact he says explicitly qualifies his statement with "until ownership is figured out."
                  Last edited by fish16; 07-23-2017, 06:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                    again, im not sure why you think you are some incredible baseball intellectual with this incredible inside knowledge, but we all understand this. Nothing in rmc523's comment would insinuate that he doesnt know that. In fact he says explicitly qualifies his statement with "until ownership is figured out."
                    Again why do u have the need to respond to everything I post? I am NOT talking about this board specifically. I am talking about the casual fan who reads a tweet or article. Again im not sure why your think u have to respond to everything I post!!

Comment

Again why do u have the need to respond to everything I post? I am NOT talking about this board specifically. I am talking about the casual fan who reads a tweet or article. Again im not sure why your think u have to respond to everything I post!!
                      I dont respond to everything you post, i respond everytime you get on your high horse acting as if you are some omnipotent god because you know the janitor who cleans mike hill's office bathroom. You mean the casual fan who isnt watching this team in depth doesnt know all the facts? Color me shocked! Furthermore, nothing in your post indicated you were just talking about the "casual fan", especially when you explicitly state "To anyone on this board who reads this-the Fire Sale is coming just not until the new owners take over."

Comment

• Why should we trade Dan Straily?

http://nypost.com/2017/07/24/marlins...ising-starter/

Comment

I don't think any of us are saying to decline some crazy offer for him, just that we shouldn't trade him just to trade him.

Comment

• Koehler optioned to Triple A and Cervenka brought up.

Comment

• Koehler had his chance to stay in the rotation again and he blew it again. At this point it seems like he'll either be let go at the end of the season or tacked on as a player on another deal at the deadline.

Comment

• Why call up Cervenka, though? He's been pretty bad in AAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X