Trade Deadline Watch 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
    Dave Dombrowski's not showing up to handle our firesale this time around.
    He wouldn't mind being on the other end of it though, I'm sure? Like he was with Miggy.

Comment

• So apparently Hill's contract was extended 2 years ago; 2 years were added and it goes through 2020. So it wasn't just the other day Loria extended him for 5 years.

Comment

• The 3 teams that asked on Dee were

LAA,Toronto and KC (per Heyman)

2 of the 3 likely wouldnt ask for cash in the deal so who knows?
        Last edited by tjfla; 07-10-2017, 09:49 PM.

Comment

• Add another guy teams are drooling over to the list of non tradable

Dan Straily

Rosenthal with some tweets

Ken Rosenthal‏Verified account @Ken_Rosenthal 48m48 minutes ago

Sources: #Twins checking on controllable starters. List would include Quintana, Gray, as well as someone like Straily (control through ’20).

#Marlins’ Michael Hill told @Jonheyman that he is not shopping Straily, but MIA has chance to move him at peak value in market thin on SPs.

Comment

• I'm all for it. Gotta get more than what you gave up though.
            "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
            - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph View Post
              I'm all for it. Gotta get more than what you gave up though.
              Ya they probably hold onto Straily for now but would bring great value back(Castillo is #80 Prospect in baseball and Brice is solid RP so they would be looking for 3/4 prospects headlined by a Top Pitching prospect). Volquez while not as controllable as they are is signed for next year which makes him somewhat valuable. Small market teams like Minnesota,Milwaukee,Colorado value a guy who is signed already(even tho kinda expensive) alot better than 3/30 million

Should be interesting and busy next 2 weeks for us tho
              Last edited by tjfla; 07-11-2017, 10:21 PM.

Comment

• It would be novel for the Marlins to sell high on someone, but Straily has been good and is under control for a little while. You also can't love the idea of Hill negotiating the deal.

Comment

• What's the deal with Conley? Why did he fall apart and can't seem to turn it around? Has he worked with those Pittsburgh guys DelPiano (wasn't there another one?) at all?

I read an article by someone saying we should go after Sonny Gray of the A's. I doubt we have anything near what it would take to get him, no? Not without subtracting from the ML roster.

Would it surprise anyone if Loria again "went for it?"

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                    It would be novel for the Marlins to sell high on someone, but Straily has been good and is under control for a little while. You also can't love the idea of Hill negotiating the deal.
                    Ya I wouldn't trade Straily especially with this FO. That is the issue with this new ownership thing-guys like Bour,Bearclaw,Straily could command ALOT in this market but they all want to be the ones that make the decisions on them. One thing with all these guys is they arent that young all 3 are 28 and older by Opening Day next year. They are all under control which helps us wait some. Straily keeps pitching like he has,the value could actually go higher

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                      What's the deal with Conley? Why did he fall apart and can't seem to turn it around? Has he worked with those Pittsburgh guys DelPiano (wasn't there another one?) at all?

I read an article by someone saying we should go after Sonny Gray of the A's. I doubt we have anything near what it would take to get him, no? Not without subtracting from the ML roster.

Conley's last 2 starts have been better. Hopefully it's the start of a turnaround.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                        What's the deal with Conley? Why did he fall apart and can't seem to turn it around? Has he worked with those Pittsburgh guys DelPiano (wasn't there another one?) at all?

Jeff is done,he is just waiting to get his cash then go to Italy. He "went for it" in FA and it didnt work out. Right now he is all about losing salary for next year(just in case he still has to pay guys)

We don't have the system for Gray-Worst system in the league and 4 of our Top 5 prospects are hurt/out. Any deal we offer would be beat by Houston/Milwaukee/LA in a second
                        Last edited by tjfla; 07-12-2017, 10:16 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                          Ya I wouldn't trade Straily especially with this FO. That is the issue with this new ownership thing-guys like Bour,Bearclaw,Straily could command ALOT in this market but they all want to be the ones that make the decisions on them. One thing with all these guys is they arent that young all 3 are 28 and older by Opening Day next year. They are all under control which helps us wait some. Straily keeps pitching like he has,the value could actually go higher
                          Right. On the other hand, if any of these guys start to struggle, or (in the case of Bour and Straily) even come back down to Earth, you lose the value. You also have to look at the market. The Marlins paid through the nose for guys because that position was in demand and there wasn't much out there. That's the case for a guy like Straily right now. When you look at how he's pitching, and how desperate teams might be to get a quality starter, you might get a big time overpay.

I could really see both sides to the argument for moving some of these guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                            Right. On the other hand, if any of these guys start to struggle, or (in the case of Bour and Straily) even come back down to Earth, you lose the value. You also have to look at the market. The Marlins paid through the nose for guys because that position was in demand and there wasn't much out there. That's the case for a guy like Straily right now. When you look at how he's pitching, and how desperate teams might be to get a quality starter, you might get a big time overpay.

I could really see both sides to the argument for moving some of these guys.
                            U can but the new ownership thing restricts alot of what they can do. Its easy to trade Volquez who has 1 year and i think 13 million on deal-new owner isnt gonna keep him. Straily is cheap and controlled till 2020. This is the same with Ozuna(cheap/controlled),they went 3 months talking him to all teams then all of a sudden Ozuna is off the market.Why? Cause all groups told Jeff they would rather make the decision on him.

If some team offers a crazy package for Straily or Bour they would be tempted especially if they have a handshake deal(downpayment) with a specific guy.

I agree with all u said-just remember who is running the FO still. I don't trust Mike Hill

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                              U can but the new ownership thing restricts alot of what they can do. Its easy to trade Volquez who has 1 year and i think 13 million on deal-new owner isnt gonna keep him. Straily is cheap and controlled till 2020. This is the same with Ozuna(cheap/controlled),they went 3 months talking him to all teams then all of a sudden Ozuna is off the market.Why? Cause all groups told Jeff they would rather make the decision on him.

If some team offers a crazy package for Straily or Bour they would be tempted especially if they have a handshake deal(downpayment) with a specific guy.

I agree with all u said-just remember who is running the FO still. I don't trust Mike Hill
                              None of us do.

Comment

• One thing people don't realize about Bour,Bearclaw and Straily is May 2018 they are 30,28,29. AJ Ramos is the same-he is 31 in Sept.

Its not like u are holding onto some 24/25 yr old kid who will get a 4 yr deal when eligible,these guys arent young and if u are rebuilding u would rather have 23 and younger guys then 5 or 6 30 yr olds and the rest 23.

If u want a model on what to do just look at Houston and SD. Got a new owner,hired a baseball guy to run the FO and rebuilt from ground up. Suck for 4 years than destroy everyone when the young guys are ready

Comment

Working...
                                X