Trade Deadline Watch 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
    Do people think Barraclough would be a good closer?
    If he is still here,Wittgren was a very good closer in the minors and Ellington/Steckenrider can close to. Even tho not great seasons we also have MLB guys in AAA too-Cunniff and Guerra

After seeing what Kahnle brought,dont be surprised to see us listen to teams that want a controllable RP bad and offer ALOT for him. Milwaukee/Minnesota/Arizona/TB all would love a cheap arm and have fairly deep systems

I think the AJ trade will tell us where they are headed next. Plus hearing Tazawa name has got hot with the way he has pitched lately

They still have 5-7 guys who are gone next year no matter what happens

- - - - - - - - - -

http://www.baseballamerica.com/major...QPJ70Rimlh3.97

Pablo Lopez, rhp

Lopez was an under-the-radar signing out of Venezuela in 2012 but has put himself on the prospect map with consistent performance. He had Tommy John surgery in 2014 but recovered nicely, holding up as a starter in each of his three seasons since. Lopez is aggressive an efficient with his three-pitch mix, topped by a low 90s fastball that is increasing in velocity every year. He also has an average curveball and changeup. More than his pure stuff, Lopez pounds the lower half of the strike zone to induce a heavy amount of ground balls, and he rarely issues a walk. Lopez doesn’t miss many bats, but has a chance to rise as a strike-thrower with ground-ball tendencies.

Brandon Miller, rhp

Miller was one of the top pitchers in Division II and was picked by the Mariners in the sixth round last year. He’s kept up his success in pro ball and was quietly rising as one of the better starting pitching prospects in the Mariners system. Miller is strongly built at 6-foot-4, 210 pounds and sits 90-93 mph on his fastball with an elite spin rate, allowing it to play way up and get swings and misses through it. He backs it up with an 80-83 mph swing-and-miss slider that projects plus with tight spin and a changeup that is fringy but improving. Miller is durable and throws all his pitches for strikes, and profiles well as a back-end starter as long as his changeup continues to develop.

Brayan Hernandez, of

The Mariners signed Hernandez for $1.85 million as the jewel of their 2014 international signing class, but it’s been a slow climb for the toolsy-but-raw center fielder. Hernandez abandoned switch-hitting last year and now bats only from his natural right side. He has a smooth swing geared for solid, consistent contact, but struggles with breaking ball recognition and gets too pull-happy at times. He has average power potential at best, putting the onus on him to stick in center field, where he shows plus speed and a plus arm. Hernandez has potential, but has a very long way to go in his development at the plate.

Comment

• Ya, Wittgren would be my choice as well. Barraclough has no control, and i think Wittgren could eventually be our next Ramos/Cishek where we trade them for more value than they are worth because of the stupid stat that is saves.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
        Ya, Wittgren would be my choice as well. Barraclough has no control, and i think Wittgren could eventually be our next Ramos/Cishek where we trade them for more value than they are worth because of the stupid stat that is saves.
        He will likely get the call over Wittgren. Very high chance he gets dealt too so,who knows? Like said a few small market teams are very interested in him question is how crazy is the deal we want. NYY trade set the market on controllable RP and its very high. Positive thing is we have scouted Arizona,Milwaukee,Minnesota,TB alot and they all have guys who could get a deal done.

I would trade AJ,AJ Ellis to Colorado/McGowan to Minnesota or St Louis/Bearclaw to Milwaukee/Tazawa(with cash) to Boston and hope Ziegler and Volquez get healthy before Sept 1

Comment

• I am often hard on the front office, but i do like the strategy in the Phelps deal. Not only did they get good quality, but they got good quantity as well. Just throwing shit against the wall hoping it sticks isnt a terrible strategy. Maybe they get lucky and one blossoms.

Comment

• Looks like Bour has been added to the untouchable list. NYY made another run at him and were told they aren't discussing him.

Right now(changes every day)Untouchables are Ozuna,Bour,JT,Straily,Yelich

Team is aggressively trying to move AJ,McGowan,Tazawa(with cash),Koehler,AJ Ellis,Ichiro,Dee Gordon,Tyler Moore. They are also listening on Bearclaw(asking alot-they want a Kahnle like offer),DD and Stanton(NOT Likely) and after Aug 1 are hoping to deal Prado,Volquez and Brad Ziegler. These 3 might not even be dealt. Some talk is if they get claimed Jeff might just let them leave but more likely Prado stays(unless a team needs a 3B bad) and Volquez/Ziegler are traded with cash for a prospect

The "cash" part isn't about getting better prospects,even tho it will get them a better ones. It is about Jeff not having to pay the full amount on them for 2018 and saves cash overall

Longer this sale gets to July 31 the more he will be trying to lose salary for next year but looks like those 5 guys are safe(unless we either announce a agreement this weekend OR some team offers something so nuts they have to say YES)
            Last edited by tjfla; 07-21-2017, 04:55 PM.

Comment

• Just a random thought when it comes to Dee gordon, our SS position, and our offensive struggles to score runs, but I think Dee's lack of power from a position that is increasingly becoming a more power hitting position combined with Prado not hitting for power and our complete lack of production from the SS position is the reason for our struggles to score runs offensively despite having 5 really good hitters at their positions. Usually guys like Dee gordon either play SS or the lack of power from 2b is offset by huge power either at SS or 3b. I think we really need to add 1 more power bat at SS if dee gordon and prado are going to be in the lineup.

Not that it matters cause prado is going to be gone soon enough, but if we are keeping the core 5 untouchables in the lineup, finding more power and hitting ability out of those 3 positions is a must.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                Just a random thought when it comes to Dee gordon, our SS position, and our offensive struggles to score runs, but I think Dee's lack of power from a position that is increasingly becoming a more power hitting position combined with Prado not hitting for power and our complete lack of production from the SS position is the reason for our struggles to score runs offensively despite having 5 really good hitters at their positions. Usually guys like Dee gordon either play SS or the lack of power from 2b is offset by huge power either at SS or 3b. I think we really need to add 1 more power bat at SS if dee gordon and prado are going to be in the lineup.

Not that it matters cause prado is going to be gone soon enough, but if we are keeping the core 5 untouchables in the lineup, finding more power and hitting ability out of those 3 positions is a must.
                Untouchable till the new owner arrives.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                  Untouchable till the new owner arrives.
                  who is?

Comment

• Not really news but likely scouting for a Ramos deal. I would make sure Genesis Cabrera(20 LHP in AA) was in the deal however maybe Mike Hill tries to go the Seattle way and get Lucius Fox/Jesus Sanchez as centerpiece and then a few young arms too?

Marc Topkin‏Verified account @TBTimes_Rays

Scouts are everywhere this week, but heard #Marlins and #BlueJays have been especially attentive to some #Rays lower-level minor-leaaguers

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                    who is?
                    U said we are keeping the 5 untouchables,I am saying yep till the new owner arrive. Bour and Ozuna would like be gone(for ALOT) at the deadline if Jeff wasn't selling

- - - - - - - - - -

So they have been hitting TB,Colorado,St Louis,Philly and Minnesota minor league teams hard the past few days it sounds like actually

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                      Not really news but likely scouting for a Ramos deal. I would make sure Genesis Cabrera(20 LHP in AA) was in the deal however maybe Mike Hill tries to go the Seattle way and get Lucius Fox/Jesus Sanchez as centerpiece and then a few young arms too?

Marc Topkin‏Verified account @TBTimes_Rays

Scouts are everywhere this week, but heard #Marlins and #BlueJays have been especially attentive to some #Rays lower-level minor-leaaguers

- - - - - - - - - -

U said we are keeping the 5 untouchables,I am saying yep till the new owner arrive. Bour and Ozuna would like be gone(for ALOT) at the deadline if Jeff wasn't selling

- - - - - - - - - -

So they have been hitting TB,Colorado,St Louis,Philly and Minnesota minor league teams hard the past few days it sounds like actually
                      ya, i was talking untouchables for the trade deadline. Ozuna and bour in separate deals should get us huge deals if our new owner would be willing to rebuild the proper way this offseason.

Comment

• Jon Heyman‏Verified account @JonHeyman

aj ramos, who picked up 18th save, is drawing good interest and may be next to go for marlins. dbacks, rox, rays, bosox, brewers, cubs, more

Positive about those teams is they all have good systems. Would love for Mike Hill to go the Phelps route and get 1 Top Prospect and 3 others(2 mid and a project. I know they were talking to Colorado,TB and Arizona(before Lugo was dealt) hard on him

Comment

• Never a bad thing

Mark Feinsand‏Verified account @Feinsand

Source: Markets for Ramos, Hand and Reed are very competitive. All three could go late toward the deadline as bidding wars take place.

Comment

• Addison Reed should probably net the most. That said it's going to be both funny and sad when Hand nets some teams top prospects, given the Marlins let him go for literally nothing. Good work guys.

Comment

• Doubtful they trade Bearclaw but they are talking calls on him too. Minnesota,Milwaukee,Arizona,Texas,TB. They have been asking teams for a deal like NYY gave up for Kahnle.

Tazawa is the hot RP name right now. Especially since we are telling teams we will throw in cash. LAD,Boston,St Louis as well as small market teams have interest

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by dim View Post
                              Addison Reed should probably net the most. That said it's going to be both funny and sad when Hand nets some teams top prospects, given the Marlins let him go for literally nothing. Good work guys.
                              Hand will bring the most. Hey least they learned the lesson with Urena but ya stupid as hell(even tho we would probably have kept him a SP). Reed will bring alot but he is a FA after the season so his market is limited. Ramos is controllable which is why alot of small market teams love him

It will never happen but I would stick to guns on focus on Colorado and ask for Ryan McMahon(No chance). What will likely happen is AJ Ramos,AJ Ellis to Colorado for Raimel Tapia OR Carlos Estevez and lower level prospects(kinda like the Phelps deal). I dont mind the good quantity(4/5 prospects) especially with how bad the system still is

Comment

• Brad Hand was pretty bad as a Marlin. You can't really fault them for letting him go.

Comment

Working...
                                X