No announcement yet.

Trade Deadline Watch 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller and Lopez decent. Schiraldi is crap(24 yr old in High A with bad numbers but Fish type-6'6 with a FB)

Miller and Lopez will be 22 in AA next year and can stick as SP. Lopez could be very interesting. Great numbers till he got to the CAL league and is a guy who doesnt walk guys or give up HR

Brandon Miller
    http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...ching/2017/ALL

Pablo Lopez

Lukas Schiraldi
    Last edited by tjfla; 07-20-2017, 10:49 AM.

Comment

• I like Miller. I'm happy. Not over the moon, but what I'd expect from trading Phelps.

Comment

• I actually like it. Schiraldi seems like he has big time K stuff just needs some control help. The other dudes look promising.
        "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
        - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Joel Sherman‏Verified account @Joelsherman1 35s35 seconds ago

#Marlins felt would get better return for Phelps than Ramos and wanted to go first with him, about 10 teams still on Ramos

Comment

• phelps is better than ramos, so that makes sense

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph View Post
              I actually like it. Schiraldi seems like he has big time K stuff just needs some control help. The other dudes look promising.
              Ya not your usual Fish trade but get a guy with 5 Tools,2 SP prospects who will be 22 next year for a guy who would have been gone isn't bad at all. Surprised we didn't get ML Ready arms but still good trade

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Madman81 View Post
              phelps is better than ramos, so that makes sense
              Well not that better,some teams considered Phelps a SP/Multi use guy while AJ is seen as 8th inning type who can close. This is why Bearclaw's name is being floated too teams see him as Multi use guy

Looks like we could see AJ gone before Friday's game too. Talking to 3 teams hard-2 being Colorado/TB

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
              Young but is 5 Tool Guy. Good Start

MLB.com report

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 45 | Run: 60 | Arm: 60 | Field: 55 | Overall: 50

One of the top prospects in the 2014 international class, the toolsy Hernandez received a $1.85 million bonus from the Mariners shortly after the July 2 signing period began. He made his organizational debut in the Dominican Summer League in 2015 and earned All-Star honors there in '16 before advancing to the Rookie-level Arizona League and hitting .285 in 33 games.

Hernandez is all projection right now, but he'll flash all five tools. He tried switch-hitting during his pro debut but exclusively hit from his natural side in 2016 at the request of the Mariners. A line-drive hitter who uses the whole field, he has good instincts for his age as well as a quality approach. Meanwhile, club officials believe he'll show more power in games as he grows into his wiry strong frame. Hernandez's speed translates well in center field, where he profiles as a future plus defender with plenty of range and a plus arm.

Hernandez will need time to come into his own as a player, and he's set to play the entire 2017 season at age 19. While he shows the makings of becoming an everyday center fielder, it will be Hernandez's offensive development in the coming years that determines his ultimate ceiling.

- - - - - - - - - -

Who made this trade? Whoever it was I hope they do the Ramos and Bearclaw deals too.

Best part about this deal is now u can ask the 3 teams who are in on AJ for 4 prospects without a problem
              Well we now know Mike Hill made the trade-went for Miller and Lopez instead of Povse(who is close to ML Ready)

Bob Nightengale‏Verified account @BNightengale 1m1 minute ago

The #Marlins originally were going to get 6-foot-8 reliever Max Povse in deal from #Marlins but swapped out late for 2 others.
              Last edited by tjfla; 07-20-2017, 11:08 AM.

Comment

• like that return a lot. Rare good trade by us. We killed the yankees in that eovaldi trade.

Comment

• The return isn't outstanding, but it's what you'd expect for Phelps (although you wouldn't think we'd get 4 players total).

Funny enough, the guy I'm probably happiest with getting is Pablo Lopez. He is awful this year. Just terrible. But he is a perfect type of buy low prospect. He was outstanding in low A ball last year. Even in a bad year this year he's still putting up solid strikeout numbers and not walking anybody. He's the kind of guy you can see turning things around and becoming a legit prospect. Plus he's really young.

That said I can see the "quantity over quality" argument. The team grabbed a bunch of A ball prospects in return, with none of them looking like a sure thing to ever reach the majors. Lots of question marks in the guys they got, similar to the question marks you'd get simply by drafting young pitchers.

Brandon Miller seems to be following a similar career path to another guy in our system; Michael King. Like King, they're doing well at the lowest of levels but we still have no idea how that will translate moving forward.

It's hard to judge this trade now. Gotta wait a few years to see how it all pans out.

- - - - - - - - - -

That said team desperately needs to restock that farm and this is a good way to do it. As much as I like Phelps in the bullpen it isn't too hard to find arms like him in the open market. There's also a chance in 2-3 years one of these pitchers breaks out similar to how Marte did when we traded him to the Astros and we look back at this moment as a major win for the franchise.

Comment

• Lopez in his last 6 starts: 2.75 ERA and 32/2 K/BB in 39.1 IP.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                      Lopez in his last 6 starts: 2.75 ERA and 32/2 K/BB in 39.1 IP.
                      Thanks for that info. Something seemed wrong when I looked at his numbers last year and then this year. Had to be dealing with some kind of injury or just a mental block of some sort. He's a damn good pitcher who wouldn't have been traded if the first month and a half of the season didn't happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post
                        The return isn't outstanding, but it's what you'd expect for Phelps (although you wouldn't think we'd get 4 players total).

Funny enough, the guy I'm probably happiest with getting is Pablo Lopez. He is awful this year. Just terrible. But he is a perfect type of buy low prospect. He was outstanding in low A ball last year. Even in a bad year this year he's still putting up solid strikeout numbers and not walking anybody. He's the kind of guy you can see turning things around and becoming a legit prospect. Plus he's really young.

That said I can see the "quantity over quality" argument. The team grabbed a bunch of A ball prospects in return, with none of them looking like a sure thing to ever reach the majors. Lots of question marks in the guys they got, similar to the question marks you'd get simply by drafting young pitchers.

Brandon Miller seems to be following a similar career path to another guy in our system; Michael King. Like King, they're doing well at the lowest of levels but we still have no idea how that will translate moving forward.

It's hard to judge this trade now. Gotta wait a few years to see how it all pans out.
                        Also about Lopez is he will be going from an extreme hitters league(CAL) to a pitchers league(FSL). I am with u,this is who I would follow. Hernandez has tools-I don't mind them taking a chance like this. U get a project who if it clicks is a 5 tool Adam Jones type and if not maybe a Gorkys Hernandez 4th OF type. He is still 19 too

Overall a solid package for a guy who was gone next year even tho would have preferred a SP who was ML ready instead of 2 A Ball guys

Comment

• Also interesting looking at Lopez, he's been going deep into games lately. His last few starts at featured 7 IP, 7 IP, 8 IP, 6 2/3 IP. Don't see that often with minor league pitchers. Not just that but he's still striking out a ton of people along the way while never reaching a pitch count over 86.

In 17 of his 19 games this year, Lopez has allowed 1 walk or less.

I'm really thinking there's a diamond in this deal.

Comment

• Barraclough isn't a FA until 2022, if he goes he has to bring back a guy like Verdugo or Frazier, and I just can't see that happening.

Comment

• Do people think Barraclough would be a good closer?

Comment

• If he ever figures out where the ball is going.
                                Last edited by Nick; 07-20-2017, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X