Trade Deadline Watch 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
    Rumors are that the Mariners are on the verge of acquiring a reliever. The M's beat writer tweeted that they have been talking about Phelps, but he said he couldn't confirm that was who they were about to trade for. Interesting, but the Seattle system isn't exactly loaded.
    Actually been reported by a MLB.com guy too

Mark Feinsand‏Verified account @Feinsand

Second source says the Mariners had been working on a deal for Miami's David Phelps, though it's NOT confirmed that's who they're getting.

- - - - - - - - - -

I know they were a team that liked Brian Ellington alot but like mentioned the farm system isn't great

They have a ML ready SP in Andrew Moore and Dan Altavilla is 24 in the ML Pen but not much more then that in the upper system. Nick Neidert is a very nice SP prospect in AA at 20 maybe they try to get him in the deal? 2 Best bats are Vogelbach and Peterson who can only play 1B and most others are either hurt or in A Ball.

Would have to say IF they do a deal its likely Moore OR Altavilla,a TOP 7 prospect(ask for Neidert) and a low level guy(MIF in A ball or something) for Phelps. If Mike Hill plays cards right u should get atleast 3 guys in return
    Last edited by tjfla; 07-20-2017, 08:44 AM.

Comment

• Trading Phelps for a younger RP seems like a waste.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
        Trading Phelps for a younger RP seems like a waste.
        Younger RP costs 6 million dollars less and we have been known to trade older RP for younger ones

Comment

• You bring up Moore and Altavilla like it's one or the other though, but to me Moore is about 10x more valuable than Altavilla. I'd be ecstatic with Moore for Phelps straight up, if it's Phelps for Altavilla and a decent prospect, I'd probably say we didn't get enough.

Comment

• I am not a fan of what they have but I can see why Mike Hill might be

They got
            Young ML Ready SP-Moore,Provose,Chase De Jong,Neidert(Likely needs another year but 20 in AA with great #)
            ML Ready RP-Altavilla,Vieria
            Very Young Prospects-Brayan Hernandez,Chris Torres,Rayder Ascanio,Joe Rizzo

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
            You bring up Moore and Altavilla like it's one or the other though, but to me Moore is about 10x more valuable than Altavilla. I'd be ecstatic with Moore for Phelps straight up, if it's Phelps for Altavilla and a decent prospect, I'd probably say we didn't get enough.
            O Moore is 100X more valuable I am just saying what I could see. Altavilla,Neidert and a young SS prospect OR Moore,Vieria and some young MIF prospect

I am just saying they should shoot for a package like that. Phelps is controllable too which makes his value move up some.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swifty View Post
              If they do sell the team, the new owners are going to come in with a huge purchase price, and a desire to make a splash (remember, new TV contract in 2020 as well). I think it's realistic to say build a rotation through free agency. There are some good/great arms that should be available this winter, and Marlins Park being so big makes decent guys look good. BUT they have to spend on a rotation. All of my argument was kind of hinged on that fact anyway. Roster isn't good enough to win as is, minors isn't good enough at the high levels to help fix it. It was always going to be a build a rotation through free agency/trades and that's kind of the winning model now anyway.
              I have to agree. I get the argument for rebuilding from the ground up, but I think the bad optics of it for the Marlins (to the casual fan) have to outweigh that. I'm not sure the market can take another firesale; it'll just look like "new owner, same bs" to the casual fans - the ones that they need to start attracting. I think they almost have to take a Dodgers approach and spend heavily on the ML roster in the short term while rebuilding the minors via the draft, IFA, etc. so that you can win more frugally in the long term, in order to show the market they're going to be run like a real franchise rather than the clown show we have now. Jose would've put us much closer to contention both because of himself, but also because it'd mean fewer holes to fill, and is obviously a devastating loss, but I don't think new ownership has a choice if they want to create/cultivate a fanbase.

Comment

• Just let Seattle and Boston bid against each other for Phelps and best offer wins. Everyone knows Mike Hill will screw it up somehow-get 3 guys no one has heard of and 2 will be 25yrs old in A Ball for 3 years already

Still got 4 other(at least) RP to trade
                Last edited by tjfla; 07-20-2017, 09:00 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                  Just let Seattle and Boston bid against each other for Phelps and best offer wins. Everyone knows Mike Hill will screw it up somehow-get 3 guys no one has heard of and 2 will be 25yrs old in A Ball for 3 years already

Still got 4 other(at least) RP to trade
                  Rosenthal is saying they're talking but no match so far; Jon Paul Morosi is saying they're "fairly close" to trading Phelps to Seattle.

Comment

• [tweet]888048226397499393[/tweet]

Comment

• Does Larry beinfest still work with Seattle? Cause I feel like we've had numerous deals with them in recent years.

Comment

• I really hope the best player we'd be getting back isn't a reliever. That would just be plain stupid. You're trying to re-stock the system.

Comment

• According to Frisario: The #Marlins seeking two quality prospects for David Phelps. #Mariners system not considered great. May take more to close a deal

and:

The #Marlins are not discussing a deal with #Marlners that would include Phelps and AJ Ramos. MIA talking with many clubs regarding AJ

How do you embed the Twitter posts? When I try using the "embed" code Twitter provides, it never works when I post it here.

Comment

• [tweet]888054590771527680[/tweet]

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                            According to Frisario: The #Marlins seeking two quality prospects for David Phelps. #Mariners system not considered great. May take more to close a deal

and:

The #Marlins are not discussing a deal with #Marlners that would include Phelps and AJ Ramos. MIA talking with many clubs regarding AJ

How do you embed the Twitter posts? When I try using the "embed" code Twitter provides, it never works when I post it here.
                            Put the tweet ID # in between the these two brackets: [tweet][./tweet] (Take out the period)

Comment

• The trade has been done, multiple minor leaguers headed to us.

[tweet]888054590771527680[/tweet]

[tweet]888054525902323713[/tweet]

Comment

• Gotta love when u hear this

Ken Rosenthal‏Verified account @Ken_Rosenthal 1h1 hour ago

Sources: #Mariners talking to #Marlins about David Phelps, as @Feinsand reported. To this point, no match. MIA not in love with SEA system.

Comment

Working...
                                X