Trade Deadline Watch 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nny View Post
    Which is only four players (the OF and Realmuto)

...one of which has been one of the worst defensive C since he's been in the league
    ...one of which has the most costly contract of all time
    ...one of which is about to get page HUGE and has Boras as an agent
    ...and the last one has regressed this season (but he's still tits so whatevs)

If we had any semblance of a rotation, I'd be on your side. But if you slot Volquez #5 and Straily #3/4, that's still needing a #1, a #2, and a #3/4 SP. Where are those coming from to actually be able to compete?

- - - - - - - - - -

I'm also anti-trading phelps since I think he should be tried in the rotation again, but doesn't seem that's going to happen anyway so whatever
    If they do sell the team, the new owners are going to come in with a huge purchase price, and a desire to make a splash (remember, new TV contract in 2020 as well). I think it's realistic to say build a rotation through free agency. There are some good/great arms that should be available this winter, and Marlins Park being so big makes decent guys look good. BUT they have to spend on a rotation. All of my argument was kind of hinged on that fact anyway. Roster isn't good enough to win as is, minors isn't good enough at the high levels to help fix it. It was always going to be a build a rotation through free agency/trades and that's kind of the winning model now anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
      You're right. Someone says he doesn't think he's a good defensive catcher, so that means the argument against trading for a catching prospect who's dropped somewhat in prospect rankings this year is not valid.

Realmuto is 3rd in baseball in WAR for catchers. He's one of the best catchers in the league and is only 26. He's more than capable behind the plate. If you move him to LF, you instantly lose value on him as his bat doesn't play as well there. So hey, let's trade for a prospect at a position we don't need, then either trade a good, young player for more unproven commodities, or lower his value by moving him somewhere else. Sounds like a great plan.

- - - - - - - - - -

That's fair, but I still thought he'd return more. Martinez is hitting really well this season and could be an impact addition, even just for a year.
      For the 1,000 time to the 5 people who come on these boards. I am NOT saying we should trade Ozuna to St Louis for Kelly and then trade JT because now we have another C. I am saying u get Carson Kelly because HE IS ST LOUIS #1 Prospect!!!!! If they had a better prospect I wouldn't even mention him.

I would keep JT either at C,1B or even LF. I like the guy especially as a C. All I am saying is if u get Carson Kelly in the deal u have options. U can trade Kelly to Atlanta for pitching prospects OR u can keep Kelly and trade JT for stuff

- - - - - - - - - -

Some teams liked Lugo alot(we are one of them). It was light for Martinez but Detroit got 3 MIF guys for someone who was gone anyways
      Last edited by tjfla; 07-19-2017, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
        I find it interesting that 2 of the 3 that are below him are probably two of the top 3 catchers of the past 5 years. (Although Lucroy's been terrible this year)
        This is actually the first year Lucroy has not been towards the top (or the top, he's lead several times) in framing.

Comment

• How can you all of a sudden be bad at framing when you used to be good?

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
            For the 1,000 time to the 5 people who come on these boards. I am NOT saying we should trade Ozuna to St Louis for Kelly and then trade JT because now we have another C. I am saying u get Carson Kelly because HE IS ST LOUIS #1 Prospect!!!!! If they had a better prospect I wouldn't even mention him.

I would keep JT either at C,1B or even LF. I like the guy especially as a C. All I am saying is if u get Carson Kelly in the deal u have options. U can trade Kelly to Atlanta for pitching prospects OR u can keep Kelly and trade JT for stuff

- - - - - - - - - -

Some teams liked Lugo alot(we are one of them). It was light for Martinez but Detroit got 3 MIF guys for someone who was gone anyways
            Or oyu could just not trade him to that team or choose their #2,3,4,5, etc. You can get a huge package for Ozuna. Trading him for a catcher who has never put up a minor league season as good as Realmuto has put up in the majors the last 2 years makes no sense. I want nothing to do with that kid, he is overvalued because of his position relative to how good he actually is. Go look at his career numbers.

Im changing my mind on Dan Strailly. I think you gotta look to deal him at the deadline. This team is horrible. Id deal everyone except Yelich, Stanton, and JT if it wasnt Mike freaking Hill doing the trading/player evaluation. Ozuna especially though is someone im thinking we gotta pull the trigger on. I wish the White Sox had a desire to trade some of their guys for him. I honestly think the best move is shipping him to the braves. I think the in division stuff is overrated and they have so many great pieces that can rebuild our farm system. They are also somehow still kind of in the mix as well. I wish we were ran by John Hart.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Swifty View Post
            If they do sell the team, the new owners are going to come in with a huge purchase price, and a desire to make a splash (remember, new TV contract in 2020 as well). I think it's realistic to say build a rotation through free agency. There are some good/great arms that should be available this winter, and Marlins Park being so big makes decent guys look good. BUT they have to spend on a rotation. All of my argument was kind of hinged on that fact anyway. Roster isn't good enough to win as is, minors isn't good enough at the high levels to help fix it. It was always going to be a build a rotation through free agency/trades and that's kind of the winning model now anyway.
            I think this is incredibly possible as well. The only thing wrong with that is that we still have Chen's absurd contract and the fact that if you say a guy like, say, Darvish, and he gets hurt it just sets the team back even further.

There is no good answer. Jose dying crippled this franchise for years. We could have gotten that Sale package for him and we are left with not only no prospects, but no superstar pitcher.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just to go further on that Carson Kelly nonsense, he has never put up the amount of HR's at any level in the minors that JT has just this season alone in the majors, has never put up an OPS higher than JT currently has, has only put up a +.400 slugging percentage this year in AAA for the first time in his career, and has a career .315 OBP and .690 OPS in his minor league career. If he is the major part of any ozuna deal ill be sick to my stomach. he has bust/ incredibly mediocre player written all over him.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
              Or oyu could just not trade him to that team or choose their #2,3,4,5, etc. You can get a huge package for Ozuna. Trading him for a catcher who has never put up a minor league season as good as Realmuto has put up in the majors the last 2 years makes no sense. I want nothing to do with that kid, he is overvalued because of his position relative to how good he actually is. Go look at his career numbers.

Im changing my mind on Dan Strailly. I think you gotta look to deal him at the deadline. This team is horrible. Id deal everyone except Yelich, Stanton, and JT if it wasnt Mike freaking Hill doing the trading/player evaluation. Ozuna especially though is someone im thinking we gotta pull the trigger on. I wish the White Sox had a desire to trade some of their guys for him. I honestly think the best move is shipping him to the braves. I think the in division stuff is overrated and they have so many great pieces that can rebuild our farm system. They are also somehow still kind of in the mix as well. I wish we were ran by John Hart.

- - - - - - - - - -

I think this is incredibly possible as well. The only thing wrong with that is that we still have Chen's absurd contract and the fact that if you say a guy like, say, Darvish, and he gets hurt it just sets the team back even further.

There is no good answer. Jose dying crippled this franchise for years. We could have gotten that Sale package for him and we are left with not only no prospects, but no superstar pitcher.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just to go further on that Carson Kelly nonsense, he has never put up the amount of HR's at any level in the minors that JT has just this season alone in the majors, has never put up an OPS higher than JT currently has, has only put up a +.400 slugging percentage this year in AAA for the first time in his career, and has a career .315 OBP and .690 OPS in his minor league career. If he is the major part of any ozuna deal ill be sick to my stomach. he has bust/ incredibly mediocre player written all over him.
              Still missing the point,its not that Kelly is a C he is their best prospect. If they had prospects better I wouldn't mention his name but the fact is they dont. In trades u get the most value u can,u dont say to a team well we already have a C so instead of taking your #1 Prospect back how about u give us your #12 prospect who is a SS(we need one of those) and some 20 yr old arm in A ball who is a project.

Look at the White Sox-think they told the Yankees last night. O no our OF is already set in 3 years so instead of Blake Rutherford how about u give us Mateo(who has looked like crap this year) and the Yankees said no? Hell NO-they got a list of guys and took the Top name on that list
              Last edited by tjfla; 07-19-2017, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Still missing the point,its not that Kelly is a C he is their best prospect. If they had prospects better I wouldn't mention his name but the fact is they dont. In trades u get the most value u can,u dont say to a team well we already have a C so instead of taking your #1 Prospect back how about u give us your #12 prospect who is a SS(we need one of those) and some 20 yr old arm in A ball who is a project.

Look at the White Sox-think they told the Yankees last night. O no our OF is already set in 3 years so instead of Blake Rutherford how about u give us Mateo(who has looked like crap this year) and the Yankees said no? Hell NO-they got a list of guys and took the Top name on that list
                Dude, IDK if you think you are some advanced baseball mind that is just comprehending things in a way others on this board cannot, but we all get what you are saying. What i am saying is that Kelly is not that special of a prospect to me and the fact that he is major league ready and plays a position that probably our best or 2nd best asset plays means that it would not be a worthwhile/lateral move. Ill take more quantity of players at similar quality at SP than giving him a higher rating thereby reducing the rest of the package you are getting.

Look at his career minor league numbers. He is not a special player. He is a player that is only rated as high as he is because of the scarcity of the position he plays. At best you get JT realmuto from an offensive standpoint, and that might be pushing it based on what he's done his entire career. Give me their number 2, 3, 4, and 5 prospect, for example, rather than reducing the quality of the rest of the package. Maybe if JT realmuto was an impending free agent any time soon, that would make sense, but youre literally just downgrading at C and creating a surplus at that position and not fixing your pitching. If im trading Ozuna to STL, give me a few of their best SP prospects, one of their good OF prospects they have at AAA that are ML ready to replace Ozuna, and maybe a MI prospect.

And about your White Sox comment, OF is different than catcher and Rutherford is not ML ready for a while. Not to mention their OF is not set at all in the future. They have Jiminez who will be ready in 1-2 years, Robert who wont be ready for another 3 years, and thats it as far as their top OF prospects go.

You say im not getting the point, i dont think youre getting my point. Kelly is not an impressive prospect in the slightest to me, especially as the centerpiece of an ozuna deal.

Comment

- - - - - - - - - -

You don't have to trade Ozuna to the Cardinals, though. Honestly, if you're trading him, I would hope you could do better than roughly the 30th best prospect as the major piece. The Whitesox just got a similarly ranked prospect in Blake Rutherford for a rental 3rd basemen, and two relievers.

Comment

You don't have to trade Ozuna to the Cardinals, though. Honestly, if you're trading him, I would hope you could do better than roughly the 30th best prospect as the major piece. The Whitesox just got a similarly ranked prospect in Blake Rutherford for a rental 3rd basemen, and two relievers.
                    Exactly. The braves are the best fit. I just dont think theyre ready to cash in some of their prospects and also i think mike hill will overthink the whole in division thing.

Comment

Exactly that is the funniest part about all of this. I just mentioned it because there was so much talk going on last month about Ozuna to St Louis. Right now he isn't even being discussed-I just keep talking about it cause everyone brings it up

1 of those RP cost 15 million too

Comment

Exactly that is the funniest part about all of this. I just mentioned it because there was so much talk going on last month about Ozuna to St Louis. Right now he isn't even being discussed-I just keep talking about it cause everyone brings it up

1 of those RP cost 15 million too
                        Im pretty sure youre the one bringing it up constantly. But ya, for Ozuna, STL isnt really a fit. The only teams who have the prospects are the best systems in baseball.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also just going back to your mateo point about the white sox yankees trade, mateo is having a great year, he's a guy the marlins should be going after hard as hell if they make any deal with them.

Comment

• Rumors are that the Mariners are on the verge of acquiring a reliever. The M's beat writer tweeted that they have been talking about Phelps, but he said he couldn't confirm that was who they were about to trade for. Interesting, but the Seattle system isn't exactly loaded.

Comment

• When talking about the returns for the relievers were not going to get back a top prospect anyway so the fact that an organization might not be loaded isn't a huge deal

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                              When talking about the returns for the relievers were not going to get back a top prospect anyway so the fact that an organization might not be loaded isn't a huge deal
                              Perhaps, but I think Phelps has above average reliever trade value because he's controllable for another year, can potentially start (if not this season, then next), and has been one of the better setup men for 2 years now.

The Nationals gave up 2 of their top 10 prospects for a pair of relievers, so I would think that Phelps could return a pretty good prospect or 2. Just looking at the Mariners list of guys, nobody really stands out to me.

Comment

• What about Drew Jackson SS for Phelps? Seems reasonable to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X