Trade Deadline Watch 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    Thats how teams are made and titles won now,no point in keeping Robertson to save your 60 wins next year. CWS,Atlanta,SD all will be something by 2019/20 and they dont really even need all of the guys to pan out. U get 10-15 guys pan out and then who knows if u are SD maybe u trade some of them for a vet

As for the trade,Frazier is a FA and Robertson was more of a salary dump(Amazing a rebuilding team who might win 60 next year doesnt wanna pay a closer 15 million ). Clippard included in the deal was because #1 it helps NYY save some cash and #2 CWS can now trade him for another low level prospect. I would take question marks like Rutherford,Polo and Clarkin over what we have in the minors right now
    Clippard was included partially to offset some of the salary.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
      Clippard was included partially to offset some of the salary.
      Ya I know thats why I said it helps NYY save some cash. Instead of asking CWS to cover Frazier's salary they trade Clippard there. Which now CWS can trade him to TB,Minn,Milwaukee for a low level prospect

- - - - - - - - - -

Might be picking up on the David Phelps front today. Alot of reports are Boston is hot on him. Not sure what we would want from them BUT after seeing the prices they have turned attention to him. Have told teams-Devers,Groome and Chavis are off limits

Knowing us its Jared Cosart's little brother(Jeff loves them Cosart's) and low level prospects

I wouldnt mind Johnson,Josh Tobias and say a Bryan Mata. ML Ready SP,2B prospect who is old but can hit and Mata who is a 18 yr old SP prospect in A Ball

Comment

• Originally posted by Swifty View Post
        It's pretty hard to justify a tear down because the core of the roster is just entering its prime.
        Which is only four players (the OF and Realmuto)

...one of which has been one of the worst defensive C since he's been in the league
        ...one of which has the most costly contract of all time
        ...one of which is about to get page HUGE and has Boras as an agent
        ...and the last one has regressed this season (but he's still tits so whatevs)

If we had any semblance of a rotation, I'd be on your side. But if you slot Volquez #5 and Straily #3/4, that's still needing a #1, a #2, and a #3/4 SP. Where are those coming from to actually be able to compete?

- - - - - - - - - -

I'm also anti-trading phelps since I think he should be tried in the rotation again, but doesn't seem that's going to happen anyway so whatever

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post

...one of which has been one of the worst defensive C since he's been in the league
          ...one of which has the most costly contract of all time
          ...one of which is about to get page HUGE and has Boras as an agent
          ...and the last one has regressed this season (but he's still tits so whatevs)

If we had any semblance of a rotation, I'd be on your side. But if you slot Volquez #5 and Straily #3/4, that's still needing a #1, a #2, and a #3/4 SP. Where are those coming from to actually be able to compete?

- - - - - - - - - -

I'm also anti-trading phelps since I think he should be tried in the rotation again, but doesn't seem that's going to happen anyway so whatever
          Our rotation is set next year already- Straily,Urena,Conley,Peters and Trevor Richards. With that rotation and 5 nice bats we dont need to rebuild!!!

But ya that is my argument too,people don't want a full rebuild but they also don't understand we have zero SP in the minors. Kolek,Poteet,Holloway,Garrett hurt. If u trade Ozuna u could get a replacement OF and atleast 2 ML ready arms. Just say u trade Ozuna to ST Louis-u get Bader to replace him,Hudson and then trade Carson Kelly in the offseason for more pitching

I would be down with keeping everyone and just trade RP(we have tons ready in the minors) if we had arms ready to go but we dont.

Comment

Is this still true? I'm not the biggest Sabremetrics expert, but FanGraphs has him listed 5th in overall Def among Catchers.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...rs=0&sort=25,d

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
              Is this still true? I'm not the biggest Sabremetrics expert, but FanGraphs has him listed 5th in overall Def among Catchers.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...rs=0&sort=25,d
              It doesn't take into account his inability to block balls in the dirt. He could just wear a mask back there and no armor. He doesn't use it.

Comment

• I really don't think he's worse than average at blocking balls. Sure he could get better, but I don't feel like it's been a significant problem this year. If you want to make an argument about framing you might be able to make a better argument, but that's a little tougher for me and the stats community to gauge. I know he's been considered one of the worst in this category in past years. I have no idea if he's improved this year.

Comment

• I was going by framing, which has him as the fourth worst http://www.statcorner.com/CatcherReport.php

That would obviously depend on your belief of the statistic but that drops his +7 to -7

Comment

• Yeah Framing too. He has stretches where he looks competent in blocking balls. Then goes through stretches where he cant block shit. Namaste and I called it out earlier in the yr. He cost us two games early cause of his poor D. I would still prefer he make the transition to 1st and get that catcher from STL.

Comment

I was going by framing, which has him as the fourth worst http://www.statcorner.com/CatcherReport.php

That would obviously depend on your belief of the statistic but that drops his +7 to -7
                      I find it interesting that 2 of the 3 that are below him are probably two of the top 3 catchers of the past 5 years. (Although Lucroy's been terrible this year)

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamRavs View Post
                        Yeah Framing too. He has stretches where he looks competent in blocking balls. Then goes through stretches where he cant block shit. Namaste and I called it out earlier in the yr. He cost us two games early cause of his poor D. I would still prefer he make the transition to 1st and get that catcher from STL.
                        We dont need the catcher from STL,we already have a Catcher!!! Wasnt that the response from most of the board when I mentioned this months ago?

They have talked about JT in LF actually if they ever got another C and dealt an OF but if they would get Kelly,Alfaro or Mejia the likely scenario is JT traded not moving positions. He is worth alot on the market

Comment

• tj you keep talking about how the board is against you, and the board did this the board said that. There are like 5 people that post here. Just say who you're talking about.

Comment

• I'm surprised at the JD Martinez return. They didn't really get back any big time prospects for the best bat on the market.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                              I'm surprised at the JD Martinez return. They didn't really get back any big time prospects for the best bat on the market.
                              He's a free agent after this year and no more comp picks so value drops a lot just due to that.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                                We dont need the catcher from STL,we already have a Catcher!!! Wasnt that the response from most of the board when I mentioned this months ago?

They have talked about JT in LF actually if they ever got another C and dealt an OF but if they would get Kelly,Alfaro or Mejia the likely scenario is JT traded not moving positions. He is worth alot on the market
                                You're right. Someone says he doesn't think he's a good defensive catcher, so that means the argument against trading for a catching prospect who's dropped somewhat in prospect rankings this year is not valid.

Realmuto is 3rd in baseball in WAR for catchers. He's one of the best catchers in the league and is only 26. He's more than capable behind the plate. If you move him to LF, you instantly lose value on him as his bat doesn't play as well there. So hey, let's trade for a prospect at a position we don't need, then either trade a good, young player for more unproven commodities, or lower his value by moving him somewhere else. Sounds like a great plan.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                                He's a free agent after this year and no more comp picks so value drops a lot just due to that.
                                That's fair, but I still thought he'd return more. Martinez is hitting really well this season and could be an impact addition, even just for a year.

Comment

Working...
                                X