Trade Deadline Watch 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow. Did the Phillies really get more for Nesehk than hill for Ramos? Wow
    "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
    - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Well we sure did not sell high on AJ Ramos (his xFIP is a career low so far this year).

Unlike what dim said, if this Gonzalez kid turns into something good, we absolutely win this trade. But that's a very big if. And the trade being announced late on a Saturday night is not a good look for the Marlins.

My initial reaction is........I liked the Phelps trade better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph View Post
        Wow. Did the Phillies really get more for Nesehk than hill for Ramos? Wow
        AND Neshek is 36 years old and on the final year of his contract. That said the return isn't much better. All 3 guys the Phillies got are in A+ ball or lower. Gomez was the best and he was the 20th ranked guy in their system.

Ramos is just 30 and has a full year left. Gonzalez is better than any of the guys the Phillies got for Nishek, but he's still a huge question mark.

As to Namaste, obviously we can win this trade if Gonzalez turns into a top of the line starter, but philosophically the team rushed a decision that didn't need to be rushed. They could've easily waited 2 months and looked for a possible better offer. While it seems the closer market isn't nearly what it was last offseason, I can't imagine this is the best offer that was presented for Ramos. I would've held onto our chips with Ramos and waited for the trade market for closers to increase once again (usually happens after a World Series when bullpens win them).

- - - - - - - - - -

Yes, the Phelps return was better, but definitely shouldn't judge trades like that. Hell, the Astros got 3 major league starters from us in exchange for freaking Jarred Cosart. Don't think it was seen as giving away the bank at that time, but it's turned into one of the worst deals in team history.

Comment

• I don't know first reaction I gave is that it's an ok deal. Ramos has been pretty bad this year.

Comment

• Who knows how this will turn out, but this is why you get nervous letting Mike Hill negotiate deals for your good players. In a seller's market when other teams are getting pretty good returns on fairly mediocre players, they get a pretty underwhelming return on a solid, cheap, RP.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
              I don't know first reaction I gave is that it's an ok deal. Ramos has been pretty bad this year.
              Here's another idea...team should stop trading these guys at the lower ends of their value. Marlins generally get fans defending these trades because they always let go of valuable players after a downturn.

It's been a vicious cycle of trading away the major leaguers who are having the worst seasons of their career, trading FOR the guys who are having the best seasons of their career (meaning unsustainable), and trading for those guys by giving away prospects who are on the up and up. It's the biggest reason why the farm system is destitute and the major league team is deeply flawed.

Comment

• Anyone who thinks we got killed in this deal needs a comprehensive head examination.

Ramos has been trash all year and this kid we got has an ERA in the 1's through 2 levels of A Ball
                or am I missing something?

I'm NOT saying we killed the Mets in this deal but cmon

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                  Anyone who thinks we got killed in this deal needs a comprehensive head examination.

Ramos has been trash all year and this kid we got has an ERA in the 1's through 2 levels of A Ball
                  or am I missing something?
                  This is clearly false.

- - - - - - - - - -

Seriously crazy how quick opinions change on players when the front office decides they don't want them anymore. Not exactly a track record for excellence in that regard.

Comment

• Yeah this pitcher we got has had outstanding numbers for the past 3 years and is only 21. Yes he's in A-Ball, bit high A-ball and is a lock for AA next year at 22.

Comment

• How has Ramos been trash all year?

Also, Merandy Gonzalez might or might not be good, but we're talking about a guy with 6 starts in A+ ball with a 5.94 K/9. And he's the only prospect they got in the deal.

Comment

• I'll be the first to trash the FO. I do it on a daily basis, bit if you think We're getting a AA/AAA starter with top of the rotation potential out of A.J. Ramos you're nuts.

Comment

Yeah this pitcher we got has had outstanding numbers for the past 3 years and is only 21. Yes he's in A-Ball, bit high A-ball and is a lock for AA next year at 22.
                          It's nothing against Gonzalez. He's a solid prospect who should progress well. But it's a play for 2020 when they could've gotten that same prospect plus a prospect who would've been ready closer to 2018.

My complaint is the team accepting Cespedes. Team should've easily stood firm on receiving two top 10 Mets prospects. Taking Cespedes is essentially the same as when the team signs any young Dominican player or drafts somebody in the mid rounds. It's a crap shoot that usually doesn't pay off.

Plus Ramos is good enough to warrant more, AND HE ISN'T A RENTAL. How can you justify taking just a potential 2020 starter (who isn't listed in the top 100 prospect list, something the team should've gotten for Ramos if receiving only a single prospect).

It all depends on how you value Ramos. I remember the closer market getting you disgustingly good prospects after Davis and Miller lit the world on fire following the 2016 World Series. The market subsided and the Marlins chose to get rid of Ramos now. And this isn't hindsight since it was quite clear this kind of thing was going to happen then and now. Just poor market recognition.

Comment

I'll be the first to trash the FO. I do it on a daily basis, bit if you think We're getting a AA/AAA starter with top of the rotation potential out of A.J. Ramos you're nuts.
                            No but more than one prospect would be nice. We got more for Phelps.

Comment

I'll be the first to trash the FO. I do it on a daily basis, bit if you think We're getting a AA/AAA starter with top of the rotation potential out of A.J. Ramos you're nuts.
                              It's not crazy at all. It should've been demanded and expected. The Marlins were in the power position in negotiations given they have another full year of Ramos under contract.

It seems pretty obvious they didn't want to pay Ramos next year, so they felt obligated to trade him. Marlins put themselves in a weak power position when it should've been the opposite.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                                How has Ramos been trash all year?.
                                The Marlins being the Marlins, they trade AJ when his ERA+ is 114.

Is that trash? It's subjective.

But it's funny seeing all these AJ fans popping out of nowhere.

The dude blew some critical games this year. And 98% of the board was like "get rid of this MF!".

Go see how excited Mets fans are about acquiring AJ.

Comment

Working...
                                X