Trade Deadline Watch 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
    That makes me wonder - with how bad the rotation has been, I'm surprised we haven't put Phelps in the rotation like we did last year.
    Been saying this since spring training. Makes no sense to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph View Post
      I think stantons contract won't look too bad in a year or two. After Harper signs his 40+ Million a year contract Stantons will be alright.
      Yeah that's the biggest question mark. There's NBA contracts that were signed in 2010 that people questioned that would look like absolute steals today.

That said the team has gotten the best possible deal out of Stanton so far, and 7 years $210 million paid to him is going to hurt the payroll bad. If you find an owner willing to spend you do what you can to keep Stanton, but if there's going to be budget restrictions it doesn't hurt to see the value Stanton has on the open market based on his contract.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
        Been saying this since spring training. Makes no sense to me.
        I honestly didn't even think about it until reading that post.

Comment

• Nightengale says 10 teams IN(not just called but actually talking) on Phelps and add another team to Dee Gordon. Philly likes him and Toronto still very interested

I hope we trade like 5 or 6 RP-the RP market is nuts right now.

Some of those 10 teams consider Phelps a SP and Koehler/Volquez have gotten some bites too

Sucks we won't trade Ozuna,teams want a bat so badly they are fighting over JD Martinez who is a FA next year and offering some nice deals.

Toronto seems to be really hot on Dee Gordon,don't be surprised if he is dealt there IF we can't trade Prado. DD/Rojas would be the 2B combo then

Colorado is in on AJ Ramos,AJ Ellis,Tom Koehler and David Phelps
          Last edited by tjfla; 07-17-2017, 01:12 PM.

Comment

• No value right now but Jeff Locke is still in the system. He is in Jupiter working with Benedict

Guys like Locke,Ziegler,Koehler,Volquez,Moore,Ellis and Ichiro are all candidates to be moved AFTER the deadline if even around still.

Marlins strategy seems to be wait and hope contenders lose guys to injury
            Last edited by tjfla; 07-17-2017, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• Which isn't a bad strategy. There isn't any urgency to trade players until the end of July.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                No value right now but Jeff Locke is still in the system. He is in Jupiter working with Benedict

Guys like Locke,Ziegler,Koehler,Volquez,Moore,Ellis and Ichiro are all candidates to be moved AFTER the deadline if even around still.

Marlins strategy seems to be wait and hope contenders lose guys to injury
                Hopefully there will be more clarity on the ownership situation if they wait until next week too.

Comment

• Assuming a "rebuild on the fly" strategy:

The players under contract/club control for next season who will be in their age 30 season or higher:

Bour (Arbitration Eligible - FA 2021)
                  Gordon ($7.8 million, backloaded 5/$50 million with $14 million team option for 2021 - age 33 season)
                  Prado (2018 - $13.5 million - $15 million owed 2019 - woof)
                  Volquez (2018 - $13 million)
                  Ramos (Arbitration Eligible 2019 FA)
                  Phelps (Arbitration Eligible 2019 FA)
                  Tazawa ($7 million)
                  Ziegler ($9 million)
                  Chen (Player option 2018 - 2020, 2021 vesting option, $52 million owed from 2018 - 2020, $16 mil vesting for 2021)
                  Koehler (Arbitration Eligible 2019 FA)

And only Prado and Volquez will be in their age 34 or higher season.

Pending FA's:
                  Ichiro
                  McGowan
                  Ellis

Likely none of whom will be back (maybe Ichiro but I doubt it).

They absolutely should move Ramos and Phelps. Both should bring back guys that make the organizational top-5, but that's also because the system is a mess. Maybe you move Bour if the Yankees are willing to overpay (thinking Kaprielian - he can join the rest of the rotation in rehabbing from TJ - or Bird + a take a flier live arm prospect), and the Marlins should be hounding the Red Sox or Yankees for Prado, even if all they do is eat the money. But beyond that I don't see the moves - nobody's taking Tazawa or Ziegler or Chen, moving Gordon just opens a new hole in the lineup because you then have to fill leadoff and 2B and there isn't a great internal option for either, and Volquez has been kind of in line with his career averages...can the team do better than him at $13 million for next season?

It's pretty hard to justify a tear down because the core of the roster is just entering its prime. Yes, it is going to get expensive, but I struggle to understand paying in excess of 1.2 billion to basically put the final nail in the coffin of baseball in Miami. A new owner, another fire sale, that'd be it. Last one out turn off the lights.

Comment

• I break them down into 4 categories:

Should be traded:

Ramos
                    Phelps
                    McGowan
                    Prado

Could be Traded but how much are we really going to get?:

Volquez
                    Ziegler
                    Tazawa
                    Ichiro
                    Ellis
                    Koehler
                    Chen

Could be Traded but have to be blown away:

Bour
                    Straily
                    Gordon

Shouldn't be Traded:

Yelich
                    Ozuna
                    Stanton
                    Realmuto

Comment

• They actually have guys in house to replace Dee in DD and either Rojas or Riddle. Brian Anderson is ready to take over 3B,the issue is no team will pay Prado's whole contract

I have been hearing we actually have been asking about young bats in trades

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                      I break them down into 4 categories:

Should be traded:

Ramos
                      Phelps
                      McGowan
                      Prado

Could be Traded but how much are we really going to get?:

Volquez
                      Ziegler
                      Tazawa
                      Ichiro
                      Ellis
                      Koehler
                      Chen

Could be Traded but have to be blown away:

Bour
                      Straily
                      Gordon

Shouldn't be Traded:

Yelich
                      Ozuna
                      Stanton
                      Realmuto
                      Its not about what we get back its about getting rid of the salary really. Why have 90 million budget and win 70 games?

Gordon and Prado are the same u arent getting anything back thats great but u aren't paying them either. Its not like Toronto is trade Guerrero or Bichette for him HAHA. Maybe if u trade Yelich or Ozuna with Gordon to Toronto u could get 1 of them
                      Last edited by tjfla; 07-17-2017, 02:04 PM.

Comment

They actually have guys in house to replace Dee in DD and either Rojas or Riddle. Brian Anderson is ready to take over 3B,the issue is no team will pay Prado's whole contract

- - - - - - - - - -

Its not about what we get back its about getting rid of the salary really
                        Same difference. You could maybe split that category into two sub-categories. Those that won't provide anything of value. (Ichiro, Ellis, Koehler, Volquez) and those that we can't even expect to salary dump. (Chen, Ziegler, Tazawa)

Comment

They actually have guys in house to replace Dee in DD and either Rojas or Riddle. Brian Anderson is ready to take over 3B,the issue is no team will pay Prado's whole contract

- - - - - - - - - -

Its not about what we get back its about getting rid of the salary really. Why have 90 million budget and win 70 games?

Gordon and Prado are the same u arent getting anything back thats great but u aren't paying them either. Its not like Toronto is trade Guerrero or Bichette for him HAHA. Maybe if u trade Yelich or Ozuna with Gordon to Toronto u could get 1 of them
                          Why? We clearly need pitching.

Comment

• If we're targeting a bat a needs to be a bat that also plays shortstop.

Comment

• They should be targeting the best prospects they can get regardless of position. All things being equal, it should be pitching.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                                If we're targeting a bat a needs to be a bat that also plays shortstop.
                                Looks like the plan. Colorado we asked on IF Ryan McMahon(doubt we get him with the year he has had),Arizona we asked about MIF Leyba,IF Dawel Lugo and MIF Reinheimer and NYY we asked on MIF Tyler Wade

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                                They should be targeting the best prospects they can get regardless of position. All things being equal, it should be pitching.
                                They want pitching too but looks like they are interested in trying to get a ML Ready MIF. Will probably depend on the team they deal with but the goal is best prospect they can get. Doubt they will tell a team NO if they only offering arms-hard to be picky when u have the worst farm system in baseball
                                Last edited by tjfla; 07-17-2017, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X