No announcement yet.

4/20 - 4/26 Minor League Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotta love how consistent Poteet has been. Last year he allowed 3 earned runs or less in 22 of his 24 starts. He was close to a guaranteed quality start every time out.

Riddle seems to be enjoying his return to AAA. I think he's got a home run each of his two games back.

While I understand the reason behind it, Wittgren and Ellington are both major league relievers stuck in AAA at the moment. They're still young so no complaints but they are long term building blocks of the 'pen.

Comment

I dont understand why Wittgren isnt back up with the big club yet.

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
        just random observation when looking at Moncada's stats on milb.com: Chris Volstad is still pitching for a living. In AAA for the White Sox. That seems like 25 years ago he was here.

- - - - - - - - - -

There should be a 30 for 30 in the future on how the marlins managed to have 5 or 6 first round picks in I believe 2005 and did not hit on one of them. That is incredible.
        Volstad and Thompson instead of Ellsbury. Marceaux and Tucker instead of Buchholz. Sean West instead of Jed Lowrie

Actually a few stories already around about how Boston got all 3 guys they wanted however they thought the Marlins were going to ALL 3 of them because they picked right ahead of Boston.

- - - - - - - - - -

I dont understand why Wittgren isnt back up with the big club yet.
        Who u gonna get rid of? Jarlin Garcia is the only 1 who can be sent down anyone else has to go to DL or DFA

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
          Volstad and Thompson instead of Ellsbury. Marceaux and Tucker instead of Buchholz. Sean West instead of Jed Lowrie

Actually a few stories already around about how Boston got all 3 guys they wanted however they thought the Marlins were going to ALL 3 of them because they picked right ahead of Boston.

- - - - - - - - - -

Who u gonna get rid of? Jarlin Garcia is the only 1 who can be sent down anyone else has to go to DL or DFA
          Again, DFA Urena or send Jarlin Garcia down. Only reason they brought Garcia up was because of the 16 inning game. Are they making roster decisions based on his limited major league time in a week and a half or the entirety of his career up until this year that led them to make the decision to start the year in AA? He has pitched 2 2/3 innings in the majors. Are we keeping him up here and Wittgren down there based on that? IF so, that is just such a stupid way of running a baseball team. Nick Wittgren is a back of the bullpen arm in the majors and has been for a while, the way the marlins have held him back is kind of absurd given some of the guys they give roster spots to yearly.

Comment

Again, DFA Urena or send Jarlin Garcia down. Only reason they brought Garcia up was because of the 16 inning game. Are they making roster decisions based on his limited major league time in a week and a half or the entirety of his career up until this year that led them to make the decision to start the year in AA? He has pitched 2 2/3 innings in the majors. Are we keeping him up here and Wittgren down there based on that? IF so, that is just such a stupid way of running a baseball team. Nick Wittgren is a back of the bullpen arm in the majors and has been for a while, the way the marlins have held him back is kind of absurd given some of the guys they give roster spots to yearly.
            They like Garcia cause no other LH in pen and Tazawa(who was suppose to be the guy against lefties) has looked almost as shitty as BS Phelps. I imagine once Garcia has a crap game he is down and Wittgren is back but been telling u this was strategy since Feb. Wittgren and Ellington would be in AAA until needed

We all know u want Ellington,Wittgren and Telis up and Urena DFA

Comment

They like Garcia cause no other LH in pen and Tazawa(who was suppose to be the guy against lefties) has looked almost as shitty as BS Phelps. I imagine once Garcia has a crap game he is down and Wittgren is back but been telling u this was strategy since Feb. Wittgren and Ellington would be in AAA until needed

We all know u want Ellington,Wittgren and Telis up and Urena DFA
              I understand the LH rationale, but if that was so important then why did they not go after one in the offseason? The only reason they brought Garcia up was because of the 16 inning game, if a LH was important he would have been up before. And I dont have anything against Garcia, I actually like him, my overall point is that this organization just doesnt have any plan.

Serious question- how do the rules work in regards to sending a guy like Tazawa down. I know it is allowed when a guy has options but how does it work for a player that we signed as a major league free agent? Can we send him down for 2 weeks to work on his stuff? I cant believe we gave that guy 6 million to begin with, his numbers looking back are really not all that impressive. I think we just really wanted a Japanese guy from the Red Sox and were determined to make it happen even after Uehara signed with the cubs (obviously joking before someone takes that too seriously.)

Im cool with ellington in the minors, im not terribly high on him as i am on Wittgren. And while I do think Telis should be up my overall problem is with the 4 man bench in general, not Telis being in the minors in particular.

Comment

I understand the LH rationale, but if that was so important then why did they not go after one in the offseason? The only reason they brought Garcia up was because of the 16 inning game, if a LH was important he would have been up before. And I dont have anything against Garcia, I actually like him, my overall point is that this organization just doesnt have any plan.

Serious question- how do the rules work in regards to sending a guy like Tazawa down. I know it is allowed when a guy has options but how does it work for a player that we signed as a major league free agent? Can we send him down for 2 weeks to work on his stuff? I cant believe we gave that guy 6 million to begin with, his numbers looking back are really not all that impressive. I think we just really wanted a Japanese guy from the Red Sox and were determined to make it happen even after Uehara signed with the cubs (obviously joking before someone takes that too seriously.)

Im cool with ellington in the minors, im not terribly high on him as i am on Wittgren. And while I do think Telis should be up my overall problem is with the 4 man bench in general, not Telis being in the minors in particular.
                How do we send him down?? U CAN'T!!!! U can put him on the DL with some fake injury(See Sam Dyson) and then give him some rehab games to regain form. That is the reason u see Urena,McGowan,Tazawa,Phelps up even tho not as good as LY. Can't send them down

They have a plan-plan was Wittgren and Ellington would go up and down to AAA all year based on need. Right now Mattingly would rather have a lefty in the pen instead of 20 Right handers so Garcia stays and Wittgren stays down. If a starter gets hurt Urena goes into rotation and Wittgren comes up OR Vance Worley gets selected and Wittgren down

Comment

How do we send him down?? U CAN'T!!!! U can put him on the DL with some fake injury(See Sam Dyson) and then give him some rehab games to regain form. That is the reason u see Urena,McGowan,Tazawa,Phelps up even tho not as good as LY. Can't send them down

They have a plan-plan was Wittgren and Ellington would go up and down to AAA all year based on need. Right now Mattingly would rather have a lefty in the pen instead of 20 Right handers so Garcia stays and Wittgren stays down. If a starter gets hurt Urena goes into rotation and Wittgren comes up OR Vance Worley gets selected and Wittgren down
                  I know we can do the fake DL thing, but I just didnt know if there was any possible way of sending him down without DL'ing him or if we cant do that with guys we signed to major league deals from other teams. Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but im not sure why we gave him 6 million a year rather than going after a lefty for the pen. We already had Ziegler, Phelps, Ramos, Wittgren, Barraclaugh, Ellington as righties in the pen. Travis Wood is a lefty who got pretty much the same contract as him, Boone Logan got 6.5 for 1 year, Jerry Blevins got a 1 year deal for 5.5 million with a club option for 7 next year. Im not a fan of giving big money to relievers to begin with, but im wondering what the rationale was behind that decision.

Comment

Tazawa will be fine. People need to learn some patience with people. He's pitched 7 of what'll likely be at least 50 innings this season. Look at Tazawa's history and you'll see short stretches where he bombs then long stretches where he'll go 7+ games in a row without allowing a run. Bullpen will correct itself out over time. Question long term has been and will still be if the starting rotation can be league average this season, because if so this team could make the playoffs. But it's a big if.

Comment

4/23

AAA New Orleans: L, 4-2

Telis: 0-4, RBI, K
                      T.Moore: 0-1, 3 BB
                      Riddle: 1-4, K
                      Sierra: 1-4, R, SB
                      Worley: L, 5.2 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 HRA
                      Steckenrider: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 K

AA Jacksonville: W, 6-1

Galloway: 2-5, R, 2 2B, 2 K
                      Anderson: 1-5, R, 2 RBI, 2 K
                      Norwood: 1-5, 2B, RBI, 2 K
                      Towey: 1-1, 2B
                      Nola: 2-4, RBI, CS
                      Y.Perez: 1-3, R, 3B, 2 RBI, BB, K
                      Tomshaw: W, 5.2 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 4 BB, 5 K
                      Payano: 2.1 IP, 5 K
                      T.Guerrero: 1 IP, 3 BB, 3 K

A+ Jupiter: L, 11-2

Haynal: 2-5, 2 2B, K
                      R.Morales: 1-5, 2B
                      Schales: 1-3, R, HR (1), 2 RBI, BB
                      Sullivan: 1-4, 2B, 2 K
                      Squier: L, 3 IP, 9 H, 8 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 2 HRA
                      Farnworth: 3 IP, 1 H
                      Cortright: 1 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 1 BB

A Greensboro: Game Postponed

Comment

There should be a 30 for 30 one day on how Isaac Galloway has managed to spend 10 years in the marlins farm system despite literally not ever having 1 good year. His career high OPS for any team he played more than 50 games for in a year is .703.

Comment

There should be a 30 for 30 one day on how Isaac Galloway has managed to spend 10 years in the marlins farm system despite literally not ever having 1 good year. His career high OPS for any team he played more than 50 games for in a year is .703.
                          They are just waiting for his 1st Rd Talent to show. The Orioles fans http://forum.orioleshangout.com/foru...saac-galloway/

Just minor league depth at this point but the guy was pretty solid out of HS

Comment

4/24

AAA New Orleans: W, 4-1

Barnes: 2-4, R, K, SB
                            Telis: 2-4, 2B, RBI, K
                            Riddle: 1-4, R
                            Sierra: 3-4, R, 2B, HR (1), 3 RBI
                            Copeland: W, 6 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 K
                            Ellington: SV, 1 IP, 1 K

AA Jacksonville: W, 4-1

Galloway: 1-4, R, BB, 2 K, 2 SB
                            Anderson: 1-2, R, 2B, 3 RBI, BB, K
                            Maron: 1-4, 2B, K
                            Y.Perez: 1-4, 3 K
                            Bencomo: W, 7.1 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 10 K, 1 HRA
                            T.Kinley: SV, 1 IP, 1 K

A+ Jupiter: Idle

A Greensboro: L, 5-3

Knapp: 1-4, RBI, K, CS
                            Olis: 2-4, R, K, SB
                            Nelson: 1-4, 2B, 3 K
                            Vazquez: 2-4, R, RBI, 2 K
                            M.Davis: 1-4, 2B, RBI, 2 K
                            Brewster: 5 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
                            MacEachern: L, 0 IP, 1 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 1 K
                            Mertz: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 2 K

Comment

So Omar Bencomo is killing it in AA so far. Given his age if he keeps this up until June he should make AAA by then.

Ellington hasn't allowed a hit in his 4 appearances in AAA so far. He'd look really nice in that major league 'pen soon.

Tomas Telis pulling off a difficult feat. .293 BA with just a .662 OPS. Gotta give him props for accepting that one tool and absolutely nothing else.

Comment

Some Marlins minor league transactions from last week, from Baseball America:

-SS Junior Arrojo was signed out of the independent Can-Am League. Twenty-eight years old (he turns 29 in May), he has played in the Indie Leagues since 2011. Last year, he hit .341 with eight homers and 49 RBIs. He OPS'd .804 along with 62 walks and 55 strikeouts. He's been assigned to A- Batavia, hopefully until he gets up to speed and a place opens up higher in the organization.

-2B Ty Washington was let go. Washington was 0-12 with 7 strikeouts in five games this year with A+ Jupiter.

Comment

Working...
                                X