• Show
Clear All

Your 1st place Miami Marlins

Comment

We did it. You said we couldn't do it.

Comment

Beef, you got me!

Comment

JT in the field helping to make sure our time in 1st is short lived.

Comment

Edinson Volquez is no José Fernandez.....end of story. A waste of money & space, just like it seems all trades/FA signings Mike Hill makes. When was the last time he actually won a trade/FA signing ?

Loria won't fire him because Hill knows where all the bodies are buried.....

Comment

Nah his contract was fair. The fact of the matter is, he's a #4 starter slotted as our #1, but that's the team's problem, not his problem.

Comment

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...eams-stack-up/

Comment

Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
                  Edinson Volquez is no José Fernandez.....end of story. A waste of money & space, just like it seems all trades/FA signings Mike Hill makes. When was the last time he actually won a trade/FA signing ?

Loria won't fire him because Hill knows where all the bodies are buried.....
                  He might be worth that money or a little bit overpriced, but the fact of the matter is the reason why he is a bad signing is because we were expecting him to be something he has never really been. As a back of the rotation stabilizer guy thats cool, but we need him to be more, and that is going to turn out poorly. And it is because we consistently mismanage and misevaluate our own prospects and other teams players and have given away literally an entire starting rotation of current big league arms for guys who are no longer here, on top of several quality bullpen guys and a few bench bats, like Austin Barnes. Guys who arent special, but when given away for nothing and then not reinvesting in the draft and international free agency, those absences add up and make a difference when our 26th man is someone like Destin Hood or something like that.

Guys we've given away for pretty much nothing or added as fillers in a trade for no reason: Desclafani, Martes, Hatcher, Jennings, Barnes, Heaney, Hand, etc. Nothing incredible, but when you lose quality players like that and have almost nothing to show for it, that is why this bad front office goes out and overspends on a guy like Volquez and foolishly expects him to be a top of the rotation guy.

This team is going to have to do something creative to find an ace somewhere, because we dont have anything in the system currently. I'll say it again, but im all for signing Andrew Miller for a top closer deal, moving him back to a starter, and hoping we can get an ace type pitcher on a discount contract. Because 200 million deals for free agents like Arrieta are generally bad investments, and we have no hope of developing an ace type pitcher any time soon.

But last nights game was an expected loss but we started off the year nicely. Hopefully we can get the next 2 vs a bad Braves team because the next 4 vs the Mets after look bad given the pitchers we are going up against.
                  Last edited by fish16; 04-10-2017, 07:28 AM.

Comment

I think people make too much of spot in the rotation. I would argue our best pitcher is currently slotted as our #5. I don't think just because Volquez was the opening day starter, that they're expecting him to be the ace. We don't have an ace and they've basically said as much, which is why they went out and made those bullpen moves. Do I think it's a strategy that's going to put us into a playoff spot? No, but I think they did all they could with this off-season outside of getting a platoon partner for Bour, which I think everyone on this board agrees that was a significant failure. I'm gonna give Mike Hill and company a pass on that one, though, because that had to be strictly Loria being a cheapskate because there were plenty of FA options out there. Poor management and the death of Jose, just put them in a very difficult position to improve the team this off-season.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
                      Edinson Volquez is no José Fernandez.....end of story. A waste of money & space..
                      2.50 xFIP with the Marlins this year.

Was there a formal announcement I missed where the Marlins announced Volquez as Fernandez's replacement?

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                        2.50 xFIP with the Marlins this year.

Was there a formal announcement I missed where the Marlins announced Volquez as Fernandez's replacement?
                        They've said the exact opposite actually.

Comment

Working...
                        X