X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
    Bingo !!! Yesss all the way

- - - - - - - - - -

Really ? I guess you are not familiar with his reign of terror as governor. Trashed public schools, hurt the elderly (especially after his 2nd election when he couldn't run again) and his broken lies....I'd rather not have any political figure owning the team, NO THANK YOU.
    Im a democrat but i dont dislike Jeb at all, but id even rather not have a politician i support as owner. Just not what this team needs. Especially in a state like Florida where it is 50/50 support for either side of the aisle.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
      Bingo !!! Yesss all the way

- - - - - - - - - -

Really ? I guess you are not familiar with his reign of terror as governor. Trashed public schools, hurt the elderly (especially after his 2nd election when he couldn't run again) and his broken lies....I'd rather not have any political figure owning the team, NO THANK YOU.
      I've lived in Florida my whole life and was a teacher with two parents who are also teachers, during the Bush terms, so yeah, I'm familiar with his politics. Never voted for the guy, wouldn't ever vote for the guy, but I think he'd be a better fit as an owner than Jeter. Politics doesn't matter when I'm talking about a team ownership. Loria is a Trump supporter but that isn't why I hate him. If he were a Trump supporter who stayed out of the way and spent $150M a year on payroll and we made the playoffs then I wouldn't give two shits about how much money he donated to Trump and my guess is you wouldn't either.
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
        I've lived in Florida my whole life and was a teacher with two parents who are also teachers, during the Bush terms, so yeah, I'm familiar with his politics. Never voted for the guy, wouldn't ever vote for the guy, but I think he'd be a better fit as an owner than Jeter. Politics doesn't matter when I'm talking about a team ownership. Loria is a Trump supporter but that isn't why I hate him. If he were a Trump supporter who stayed out of the way and spent $150M a year on payroll and we made the playoffs then I wouldn't give two shits about how much money he donated to Trump and my guess is you wouldn't either.
        i dont care who my owner supports politically, but i dont want someone who is still involved as a politician. there is a significant difference in the two to me and i dont want that kind of divisiveness from an owner, specifically in a swing state like florida.

Comment

Why do we keep talking about him as being "still involved" as a politician? He ran for president - didn't get the nomination - isn't currently involved with politics in any way. Wouldn't run against his own party in 2020. By 2024 he'll be 72 years old and almost certainly not running. He didn't even endorse anyone in the general election. His politics life is over.
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Why do we keep talking about him as being "still involved" as a politician? He ran for president - didn't get the nomination - isn't currently involved with politics in any way. Wouldn't run against his own party in 2020. By 2024 he'll be 72 years old and almost certainly not running. He didn't even endorse anyone in the general election. His politics life is over.
            not to get political but id be a little hesitant to think that the republicans will automatically re-nominate Trump in 2020. but thats a totally different conversation.

Comment

I'm not sure if he's spoken about it publicly yet, but Samson confirmed there are multiple parties they're talking to....

Team president David Samson confirmed Tuesday that discussions with multiple parties interested in buying the Marlins are ongoing.

Samson also said he would not be shocked if the team had a new owner by the end of the season.

“Is the fourth inning advanced?” Samson asked a reporter Tuesday. “A lot can happen after the fourth inning, right? Then I’d say we’re in the fourth inning right now. We’ve never gotten past the second inning before, so it’s further than we’ve been, but a lot can still happen.”

Samson spoke to the media prior to the Marlins’ home opener against the Braves about the potential sale of the club but did not elaborate on who the multiple suitors were.

Samson said there have always been multiple parties interested in buying the franchise, but the difference this time is owner Jeffrey Loria is more willing to listen to potential buyers.

Samson said with sale discussions ongoing, discussions on potential naming rights for Marlins Park have stalled. He said he fully expects the ballpark to retain its current name by July when the Marlins host their first All-Star Game.

“We’ve taken a step back from that given the process that we’re under,” Samson said. “It’s a long term decision to make. It’s Jeffrey’s decision to make because he’s the owner but I think he recognizes that with not wanting to tie down and make a decision for 10-15 years at this point when you’re ‘in the fourth inning.’ ”
              Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/ml...#storylink=cpy

Also interesting to note that there won't be a stadium naming rights deal before the All-Star game as they said before. I'm a bit surprised Jeff wouldn't sign a deal and take the money for year one of that contract and then sell the team, but I think it's better long term for the team for a new group to be responsible for the naming rights deal.

Comment

Who cares who they sell the team to? As long as they got deep pockets and are willing to spend cash on the team and development I am happy. I don't like Jeb(better than this Rick Scott dummy) but I could stand seeing him 5 days a year as long as its during the World Series and first day of new season,which is the only times we should be seeing the owner at the games.

How many owners have their own seat near the dugout like Jeff? Sit in your skybox enjoy the game and the camera should never see U

By way they are farther than Samson says but Jeff doesn't want anything overshadowing HIS ASG. Watch as soon as the game is over u will start seeing the "talks" advancing quickly. As for new owner by the end of the season,he is correct. Team should have an agreement with someone by the end of the season with MLB doing background until middle of 2018 then new owner by the END OF 2018!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                  Who cares who they sell the team to? As long as they got deep pockets and are willing to spend cash on the team and development I am happy. I don't like Jeb(better than this Rick Scott dummy) but I could stand seeing him 5 days a year as long as its during the World Series and first day of new season,which is the only times we should be seeing the owner at the games.

How many owners have their own seat near the dugout like Jeff? Sit in your skybox enjoy the game and the camera should never see U

By way they are farther than Samson says but Jeff doesn't want anything overshadowing HIS ASG. Watch as soon as the game is over u will start seeing the "talks" advancing quickly. As for new owner by the end of the season,he is correct. Team should have an agreement with someone by the end of the season with MLB doing background until middle of 2018 then new owner by the END OF 2018!!!
                  Too bad it couldn't be done before the 2018 season.

Comment

really doesn't matter, Loria is going to fuck us for years to come. The backloaded contracts are going to make it too prohibitive to sign anyone else. It will take years to get out from this hole.

Comment

really doesn't matter, Loria is going to fuck us for years to come. The backloaded contracts are going to make it too prohibitive to sign anyone else. It will take years to get out from this hole.
                      Unless new ownership is willing to significantly spend while rebuilding the foundation, a la the Dodgers.

Comment

It's silly to think or expect that any owner in this market would do that. The Marlins have never had the kind of support needed for that (which 2012 showed), and the TV deal doesn't support it. I think any owner would have a payroll somewhere around where we are now - maybe 5-10M higher.

Comment

I dont know about that. I think last year was Chen's outlier year looking at his stats every year since he's come over here. He has next year being paid 12 million and then 2 seasons of 22-24 million and then a mutual option that wont be picked up the following year. He will be worth it the next 2 years, and if healthy, will be a good but overpaid pitcher the following 2, which is acceptable if he gives us what he's given since he came to MLB. mid 3 ERA and a 1.2-1.3 WHIP for that money is obviously not ideal, but it is solid.

Yelich contract is an absolute steal. One of the best contracts in baseball.
                          Given what superstars are being paid, if he stays healthy, Stanton isnt that terrible of a contract. Its not really tradeable, but its not like some of the other contracts where guys are either completely unproductive or dont play at all.
                          Dee's contract could be bad, and Prado's contract could be bad in a couple years but he only has 2 more years after this.

All in all, some good contracts, some bad contracts, but I dont think it is as bad as you're making it out to be. Especially if new ownership starts investing in the draft and international free agency to get cheap talent rather than paying MLB free agents big contracts.

Comment

It's silly to think or expect that any owner in this market would do that. The Marlins have never had the kind of support needed for that (which 2012 showed), and the TV deal doesn't support it. I think any owner would have a payroll somewhere around where we are now - maybe 5-10M higher.
                            The team also scuffled out of the gates and the entire year except for one month (was it may or June where they had some crazy record for the month). If there's anything we know about the Miami market is they won't support a losing team.

Comment

The draft and IFA signings typically take years to come to fruition. The bottom line is we have something like 9 guys locked up at close to $100M for next year. It's tough to field a complete team that way. Whereas other teams have prospects to either promote or trade, we don't. We're going to see JT Riddle at SS or Brian Anderson at 3B when these guys leave. There will be a 3-5 year down period that is going to be unbearable regardless of who the owner is.

Comment

The draft and IFA signings typically take years to come to fruition. The bottom line is we have something like 9 guys locked up at close to $100M for next year. It's tough to field a complete team that way. Whereas other teams have prospects to either promote or trade, we don't. We're going to see JT Riddle at SS or Brian Anderson at 3B when these guys leave. There will be a 3-5 year down period that is going to be unbearable regardless of who the owner is.
                                Those 9 players are 4 of their top 5 hitters in Stanton, Dee, Prado, Yelich, and Gordon, their 2 top starters in Chen and Volquez, and 2 back of the bullpen arms in Tazawa and Ziegler. Combine that with guys still making the minimum in Barraclough, Conley, and Wittgren, and then guys in their first year of arbitration in Realmuto and Bour and Straily, and other guys still in arbitration like Ozuna, Phelps, Koehler, etc, its really not as bad as youre making it out to be. They have a few bad contracts and a few really good contracts, much like any other team. If they act like a mid level market team, which they should be with new ownership, that isn't that absurd.

Comment

Working...
                                X