The Official Miami Marlins "Sale of the Team" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
    The guy reportedly involved is Kushner's father, the guy who spent quite a bit of time in jail, so this agreement likely wont go through, but good sign to see he will sell the team soon.
    Charles Kushner but is part of a group. That is the key to any deal-put his money up but be a partner. U won't be hearing much about this till after the ASG tho,that is the whole "handshake" thing. As soon August comes around its game on!!

Trump and Kushner ill take it!! Won't be signing many IFA but atleast we would spend cash

A better question is will all the parades combine to form 1 big one when Jeff leaves?? Seems like the only people who like him are Samson/Hill and Frisaro
    Last edited by tjfla; 02-09-2017, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Make the Marlins Great Again?

Comment

[tweet]829833063987191808[/tweet]

Comment

This news is better than any trade we could have made this year.

The only possible better news would have been that Jose Fernandez's death was a really gross practical joke.

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
            Hmm, well that's not encouraging.....but hopefully someone else will come along soon if that report is true.
            I read there is more than just one offer.......so even if this falls through, someone else can take it on....

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
              This news is better than any trade we could have made this year.

The only possible better news would have been that Jose Fernandez's death was a really gross practical joke.
              was thinking about it and wondering if Jose's death accelerated Jeff's timetable for selling. He was clearly heavily affected by it and maybe it killed his desire to keep owning the team. We all expected a sale in the next few years but I think this is earlier than anyone thought.
              Originally posted by Madman81
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

One of the positives we will see from this "NY developer" is some movement on redeveloping the neighborhood around the ballpark.

Comment

Maury Brown's take: http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybro...n-the-marlins/

I'm not overly excited right now. Whole deal feels shady to me, we'll see what happens

Comment

Originally posted by HUGG View Post

I'm not overly excited right now. Whole deal feels shady to me, we'll see what happens
                    Well we don't even know who the prospective buyer is at this point. The whole thing is really early...BUT the bigger point is that Loria is actively trying to sell and there are multiple interested parties.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
                      I read there is more than just one offer.......so even if this falls through, someone else can take it on....
                      Here's to hoping...

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                      was thinking about it and wondering if Jose's death accelerated Jeff's timetable for selling. He was clearly heavily affected by it and maybe it killed his desire to keep owning the team. We all expected a sale in the next few years but I think this is earlier than anyone thought.
                      It could be, it's been tough on everyone.

Originally posted by HUGG View Post

They were talking about it on MLB Network Radio, and they were saying IF Kushner were involved (again we don't know if he is for sure the prospective buyer), rather than being the lead investor, he could instead be part of a group and not be allowed by MLB to ever take majority ownership. They were also saying how despite MLB's comments about not hearing directly or indirectly about Kushner, this could simply be because he's not the lead guy, and therefore his name may not have been involved in the conversation with MLB yet.

But who knows, it may not even be him/he may not be involved anyway. Guess we'll see.

---

In the article, they mentioned how we don't have a stadium naming rights deal.....this made me think, Samson has repeatedly said that they'd have a naming rights deal in place before the All Star Game - I wonder if this potential impending sale changes that? Like as a way to entice more out of the sale (because the potential buyer can negotiate his own deal), maybe they leave the ballpark unnamed for now?
                      Last edited by rmc523; 02-10-2017, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Maybe Purina will acquire the naming rights and it will be called Marlins Bark.

/WorkingOnVeryLittleSleepRightNow

Comment

Here's to hoping...

It could be, it's been tough on everyone.

They were talking about it on MLB Network Radio, and they were saying IF Kushner were involved (again we don't know if he is for sure the prospective buyer), rather than being the lead investor, he could instead be part of a group and not be allowed by MLB to ever take majority ownership. They were also saying how despite MLB's comments about not hearing directly or indirectly about Kushner, this could simply be because he's not the lead guy, and therefore his name may not have been involved in the conversation with MLB yet.

But who knows, it may not even be him/he may not be involved anyway. Guess we'll see.

---

In the article, they mentioned how we don't have a stadium naming rights deal.....this made me think, Samson has repeatedly said that they'd have a naming rights deal in place before the All Star Game - I wonder if this potential impending sale changes that? Like as a way to entice more out of the sale (because the potential buyer can negotiate his own deal), maybe they leave the ballpark unnamed for now?
                          Like said yesterday Charles Kushner isn't the principal owner-it's supposedly a "group" of guys BUT he will be putting up most of the capital or whatever.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                          Not really it is pretty well known around baseball circles by 2018 or 2019 he wanted to be cash out which is why when u see the contracts he was giving out they were all backloaded and wasn't too concerned about the "future". He wanted to compete this year and have 5 or so All Stars for the game in Miami-he loves that everyone is coming to kiss his ass!!

This offseason just confirmed it when he was telling agents 2 yr contracts OR opt outs after 2 years

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                          Maybe Purina will acquire the naming rights and it will be called Marlins Bark.

/WorkingOnVeryLittleSleepRightNow
                          Maybe Jeff will use some of the 1.6B to get the naming rights

Imagine Jeffery Loria Stadium for the next 30 years!!!

Comment

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/09/b...lins.html?_r=0

According to this article from the New York Times, Charles Kushner isn't involved (at least as a named partner, obviously his family/company would be)...

The Kushners — led by Joshua Kushner, a venture capitalist, and Joseph Meyer, his brother-in-law and key lieutenant for the family’s investments — have pursued the Marlins for several months, devising a complicated financial arrangement that would include bringing in partners later, these people said.
                            Interestingly, though, it also mentioned the clause in the stadium contract that says if Loria were to sell the team within 11 years of signing the stadium agreement in 2009, he'd have to pay a portion of the proceeds to the county. I knew about the clause, but didn't know its' length. That makes the deal happening now interesting, as with how cheap he is, I'm surprised he wouldn't hold out until 2020 to save paying the county anything, but I guess he figures he can get this deal now and pocket the cash.
                            Last edited by rmc523; 02-10-2017, 10:55 AM.

Comment

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/09/b...lins.html?_r=0

According to this article from the New York Times, Charles Kushner isn't involved (at least as a named partner, obviously his family/company would be)...

Interestingly, though, it also mentioned the clause in the stadium contract that says if Loria were to sell the team within 11 years of signing the stadium agreement in 2009, he'd have to pay a portion of the proceeds to the county. I knew about the clause, but didn't know its' length. That makes the deal happening now interesting, as with how cheap he is, I'm surprised he wouldn't hold out until 2020 to save paying the county anything, but I guess he figures he can get this deal now and pocket the cash.
                              Ya he isnt gonna be involved just his capital. Likely one of the "partners" which keeps him away from stuff. It will be a company thing where he is in but silent partner. Think of it like u are 25 and wanna buy a house,can't really afford it by daddy is rich so he gives u cash or whatever and is on stuff but just in name only

Maybe thats why its for 1.6 instead of 1.3/1.4 like was mentioned. They throw him another 200 million and he can use it to pay off the county with it

Who cares who runs the team. Can it get any worse then Jeff?? Long as the guys spend 100+ million on salary a year and invest in scouting/draft I am happy. In all honesty,keep Yelich/JT and a few arms and blow up the team start from scratch
                              Last edited by tjfla; 02-10-2017, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                                Ya he isnt gonna be involved just his capital. Likely one of the "partners" which keeps him away from stuff. It will be a company thing where he is in but silent partner. Think of it like u are 25 and wanna buy a house,can't really afford it by daddy is rich so he gives u cash or whatever and is on stuff but just in name only

Maybe thats why its for 1.6 instead of 1.3/1.4 like was mentioned. They throw him another 200 million and he can use it to pay off the county with it

Who cares who runs the team. Can it get any worse then Jeff?? Long as the guys spend 100+ million on salary a year and invest in scouting/draft I am happy. In all honesty,keep Yelich/JT and a few arms and blow up the team start from scratch
                                Yeah that all makes sense.

I agree, anyone has to be better than Loria. The one thing about your thought of keeping Yelich/JT and blowing it up/starting from scratch - while that may be the "right"/quicker way to do it, do you think the fanbase/market would tolerate that? Granted it's a new owner, but given the franchise's history of firesales, would everybody just see it as a "here we go again!" move, or do you think the fanbase would be able to see past that toward the "end" goal of consistently competing with sizable payrolls?

In other words, I'm wondering if they'd have to rebuild the way the Dodgers have - spending heavily at the beginning of ownership to retain the current crop of players and add real impact pieces/improve (not just random scrap heap guys we roll out as regulars now), while rebuilding the farm system through drafts and international signings so long term they can compete that way, not through extreme spending - if anything just to avoid the optics of yet another firesale just by different ownership. Because long term, the new owner hopefully would be truly different and not take that firesale approach, but to the casual fan - the ones we don't draw, partially because of the franchise instability caused by firesales - it looks like more of the same from the Marlins.

Comment

Working...
                                X