No announcement yet.

The Official Miami Marlins "Sale of the Team" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fair point, Nick, but he only pitched every 5th day.

Comment

• What's the problem? That the team would actually spend on a Jose Abreu, Aroldis Chapman, Yoan Moncada. Etc. Maybe keep a Miguel Cabrera.
      "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
      - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
        The Marlins had pretty much the most marketable Latin player ever who was Cuban to boot. We still had attendance issues.
        Originally posted by Namaste View Post
        Fair point, Nick, but he only pitched every 5th day.
        And attendance jumped every time he pitched.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph View Post
          What's the problem? That the team would actually spend on a Jose Abreu, Aroldis Chapman, Yoan Moncada. Etc. Maybe keep a Miguel Cabrera.
          Ya, im not getting this hate. Oh no, an owner who prefers to invest in the latin american/IFA market. The horror! That is one of the biggest thing this organization needs.

Comment

• "Los Marleen" on the jerseys full-time.

He is going to get the Orange Bowl canceled and replace it with Serie del Caribe!!!

Comment

What's the problem? That the team would actually spend on a Jose Abreu, Aroldis Chapman, Yoan Moncada. Etc. Maybe keep a Miguel Cabrera.
              Exactly. I have no problem with the guy spending $5 million every year on Latin Guys or even 50 Million on some 25 yr old Cuban. Better than Jeff spending nothing and trading talent in the system

- - - - - - - - - -

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/sp...160273749.html

Update. Looks like Jeff prefers Rothbaum's group to Mas anyways so don't worry.

Mas has bid 1.15B and Rothbaum 1.1B. Jeff wants 1.2B so he is playing hardball with both groups.

Likely by Next Thurs business will really pick up,soon as Jeff Loria ass kissing week is over
              Last edited by tjfla; 07-08-2017, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• https://www.fanragsports.com/mlb/mar...leads-marlins/

In recent days Miami businessman Jorge Mas has been engaging in conversations regarding the possible sale of the team directly with Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria, leading some close to the team to perceive that Mas has moved into the lead for the team.

Until Loria and Mas recently began holding their high-level talks, Marlins president David Samson had been handling almost all the negotiations with all the respective buyers, including also the Tagg Romney-Wayne Rothbaum group and the Derek Jeter group.

While the Loria involvement with Mas is being seen as a sign Mas now leads, it isn’t known whether Loria has also talked lately to one or both of the main competitors for the team – either the Tagg Romney-Wayne Rothbaum group or the Derek Jeter group. In any case, sources around MLB suggest Mas’ name is “popping up” most often connected to the sale of the team. Nothing’s final, and the situation is fluid – though a deal could come soon.

The price is expected to line up between $1.15 billion and $1.2 billion. While one source pegged the final number slightly more precisely, as $1.16 billion or even $1.18 billion, other sources say the final number will likely be closer to $1.1 billion flat.

Since MLB disallows more than 40 percent financing, a purchase of say 1.2 billion means any incoming group would need $720 million just to start – plus a few extra hundred million to cover expected short-term losses (the team is said to have a chance to lose as much as $70 million this year, depending on how many veteran players it can trade by the July 31 trade deadline.)

Mas offered about five weeks ago in a meeting with Jeter to let him join Mas’ group, as FanRag first reported. However, Jeter declined that offer because he desires to be the control person. Mas is friendly with Bush, so it could be possible for Mas to extend a similar offer to either former governor of Florida or perhaps Romney or other members of their group, should it become clear he’s winning the team.

People familiar with the situation say Mas (and most others) see the Marlins as a multi-year project, and one he’s willing to commit to with 14-hour days to ensure a turnaround. The team is slightly below .500 but has been a bigger disappointment in terms of revenue (they are said to rank 30th in MLB in that regard) and at the gate (where they also rank near the bottom). They have several talented young position players but a piecemeal rotation that’s kept them from contending.

Comment

• Sold to más for 1.17 billion according o Forbes

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoza.../#3eaa96415327

Samson denies of course.

- - - - - - - - - -

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mastec-chairman-reportedly-buying-miami-marlins-for-117-billion-2017-07-10
                  "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                  - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Per a Jon Heyman Tweet:

"to clarify something out there, marlins baseball president michael hill wasnt recently extended. 2 yrs ago he was extended 2 yrs, thru 2020."

Comment

Sold to más for 1.17 billion according o Forbes

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoza.../#3eaa96415327

Samson denies of course.

- - - - - - - - - -

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mas...ion-2017-07-10
                      Well if Samson denied it, it must be true.

Comment

• Samson has to deny it for a few days but Manfred has been talking it up all night. He is loving that the guy MLB wants got the team. Also he said this

Manfred also said the Marlins will be permitted to make whatever trades they want without MLB needing to authorize them.

“They don’t need my permission to make player moves,” he said. “Given how public the sales possibility has been and given the fact that I’m talking to [Marlins president David] Samson almost daily, I don’t think there will be any surprises here. But it’s not a permission question.”

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                          The Marlins had pretty much the most marketable Latin player ever who was Cuban to boot. We still had attendance issues.
                          That was more because of Loria....do people not get how much he is hated here ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
                            That was more because of Loria....do people not get how much he is hated here ?
                            I just read a few articles that said he (well technically the team) is suing several season ticket holders and trying to get courts to foreclose their properties to pay for season ticket commitments that they backed out of after Loria didn't provide the services they were promised.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                              I just read a few articles that said he (well technically the team) is suing several season ticket holders and trying to get courts to foreclose their properties to pay for season ticket commitments that they backed out of after Loria didn't provide the services they were promised.
                              This is true....after he promised these folks, who paid premium $$$ for boxes and good seats were promised big payrolls and competitive baseball, Loria chucked it all in 2013 and the season ticket holders felt that they had been frauded, so they refused to pay the remaining balances of their contracts. So after about 2 years he took 9 of them to court I believe.

An owner that sues his fans......yes maybe they did wrong but Loria also lied to them too. He is not innocent here. Which is why I don't guess we've heard about these suits because it's been around 2 years since that Miami Times article I think. I wonder if he ever went through with it ? I know MLB was not happy with him about it. It discredited all of MLB not just Loria and the Marlins. I wonder if Selig told him to drop it and maybe MLB compensated him as well to just drop it. Who knows...
                              Last edited by Maddawg; 07-11-2017, 07:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
                                This is true....after he promised these folks, who paid premium $$$ for boxes and good seats were promised big payrolls and competitive baseball, Loria chucked it all in 2013 and the season ticket holders felt that they had been frauded, so they refused to pay the remaining balances of their contracts. So after about 2 years he took 9 of them to court I believe.

An owner that sues his fans......yes maybe they did wrong but Loria also lied to them too. He is not innocent here. Which is why I don't guess we've heard about these suits because it's been around 2 years since that Miami Times article I think. I wonder if he ever went through with it ? I know MLB was not happy with him about it. It discredited all of MLB not just Loria and the Marlins. I wonder if Selig told him to drop it and maybe MLB compensated him as well to just drop it. Who knows...
                                These are what I read:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...season-tickets

http://deadspin.com/report-marlins-a...rme-1796774407

----

Separately, this New York Post article is saying Jeter's group is going to win for $1.2B.

http://nypost.com/2017/07/10/jeters-...-marlins-deal/

Apparently, Michael Jordan is one of 15 investors in the group as well.

Sounds like it's down to Mas vs. Jeter's group.

Comment

Working...
                                X