The Official Miami Marlins "Sale of the Team" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/to...nt-office-gig/

It seems like every few days a new famous person is connected to the Miami Marlins' ownership derby. To wit, the Marlins have been connected to Ivanka Trump's brother in law, Jeb Bush, Derek Jeter, and Mitt Romney's son Tagg.

Oh, and by the way? Hall of Fame pitcher Tom Glavine is part of Tagg Romney's group -- and he recently dished to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe about Jeffrey Loria and the whole enchilada. Here's one highlight, concerning whether Glavine would want to be part of the Marlins' front office should Romney win the bidding:

"I certainly want a role. I'm not going to say I'm the GM, but I know the game pretty well. I understand it. There's a lot on the business side that I don't understand, so I'm open-minded about what the best role for me would be and what I like to do the most."

In addition, Glavine expressed his belief that three groups have made bids for the Marlins -- amusingly noting that, though the cutoff has passed, Loria could still accept more. Glavine also said all indications are that Loria wants out. That's probably not too surprising -- you don't reach this point in the process if you want to maintain ownership -- but it's solid confirmation that, sooner than later, the Marlins are likely to have a new ownership group.

And, if Glavine gets his way, perhaps a new front office member.

Comment

• There are two conflicting reports out today...

The Forbes article says...

As of right now, there is only one group with real interest in buying the Miami Marlins, and no one has submitted a formal "bid" for the MLB team, despite reports to the contrary.

According to my sources, the Derek Jeter-Jeb Bush team has submitted a "non-binding indication of interest," which can be walked away from at any time at no cost. It's akin to saying you'd be willing to pay a certain amount for a house before having an inspection done or taking a look at the property taxes.

My sources say the Jeter-Bush group can put in about $200 million of equity and are currently "running around looking to raise money."

Meanwhile, the investor group led by Tagg Romney, the managing partner at Solamere Capital and son of former presidential candidate Mitt Romney, is now out, according to two sources.
      While the Miami Herald article quotes Samson, saying....

Miami Marlins president David Samson disputed a Forbes magazine report indicating that the list of interested bidders to purchase the team numbers just one — the Derek Jeter-Jeb Bush partnership.

“As with most things published by Forbes regarding the Miami Marlins, this most recent story is also inaccurate,” Samson said. “There are inaccuracies contained in each paragraph.”

Samson would not say how many interested buyers remain in the running.
      So who knows what to believe...Samson would obviously have an interest in acting like there's a ton of suitors to drive the price up.

Comment

• Barry Jackson confirming reports Jeter/Jeb won the auction and Marlins are confident things will go through. Holy shit. This is a dream
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Hallelujah! Read from Barry Jackson that it is a group of 5 people, Jeb being a leading guy, and Jeter with an active role. This is awesome.

Comment

• I'm excited. Hopefully Jeff doesn't screw it up!

Comment

• Not that it matters because anybody is going to spend more than Loria, but I wonder just how money these guys have. Jeb and Jeter have money, obviously, but they dont have sports owner money. I wonder who these other investors are to bring the money up to 1.3 billion. Has anyone heard anything on who the other investors in the group would be?

Comment

• Things are moving quickly. I love it. Get this over with, and we can move on with a new and hopefully brighter era of Marlins Baseball.

Comment

• So this brings up an interesting question, what do we think Jeter's role will be in the FO. President? GM? Just part owner?

Comment

• If we believe the narrative that players wouldn't sign here or would make us pay more just because of Loria, have to imagine that having Jeter somewhere in the front office would be the biggest possible change. As a competitor I imagine Jeter wants as active of a role as possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                      I'm excited. Hopefully Jeff doesn't screw it up!
                      U know he will. They will offer 1.3B and he will say NO I want 1.4B to which they say BYE

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                      So this brings up an interesting question, what do we think Jeter's role will be in the FO. President? GM? Just part owner?
                      I heard he wanted be active. I wouldnt mind giving him the VP title but as long as u have a real President and a Real GM-that job is pretty easy. Can recruit guys,coach some and still make business decisions

Comment

• Jeter being part of this brings instant credibility to this group. Really interested in seeing who the silent partners are. Hopefully it's a majority South Florida group that brings people who understand the market to run the business side. Jeb lives in Coral Gables.

I'd pay $50 to take a sledgehammer to any of Loria's pet projects around the ballpark.

Will George W paint Loria's portrait as a good-bye gift? (It's going to be weird seeing him at the ballpark.)

JEB! Field at Captain Intangibles Stadium?

How soon before teal and black are back?

So many questions.

Comment

• Excited but cautiously optimistic

Please God don't bring back the teal and black. I love the new Marlins uni's.

Comment

• I'm fine with the current logo. I just don't love the orange, never have.

Comment

• Saw that a NY businessman named Wayne Rothbaum was part of the group. Never heard of him but figured id throw his name out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                                Saw that a NY businessman named Wayne Rothbaum was part of the group. Never heard of him but figured id throw his name out there.
                                Rothbaum was a competing bidder. I don't think he is part of the Bush-Jeter group.

Comment

Working...
                                X