Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
    https://www.fanragsports.com/mlb/mar...n-marlins-bid/

Ugh, you've got to be kidding me; no Jeter please.
    Well now we know why Jeff wants Jeter to win so badly. Question is will Jeter and Samson sit in the same office and do nothing together OR will they have to call/text each other from next door as they do nothing?

Comment

• Jesus

Comment

• A couple new articles:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...720-story.html

Commissioner Rob Manfred remains confident the Miami Marlins will be sold in the near future and said in an interview broadcast Thursday that price isn’t a major obstacle to that end.

Speaking on “Bloomberg Markets” with Scarlett Fu, Manfred said the three groups known to be bidding to purchase the team from Jeffrey Loria remain in the sweepstakes.

“I think price is actually fairly well set among the three groups,” Manfred said. “It’s just making sure that the financial structuring and the governance documents all comply with our rules. And then of course, the Marlins have to decide which group they’d prefer to go forward with.”

That conflicts with reports earlier this week that none of the three groups had agreed to Loria’s asking price of $1.2 billion and questions regarding whether Miami businessman Jorge Mas will remain in the bidding.

Manfred reiterated that groups headed by Mas, Derek Jeter and Tagg Romney remain in contention for the team.

“The Romney group is really Jeb Bush and an investor from Florida as well,” Manfred said, alluding to Wayne Rothbaum, head of Quogue Capital, a biotech investment fund.

Rothbaum is from New York and also has an address in Delray Beach.

Manfred wouldn’t commit to having a deal ready to be voted on when the owners meet in August, but said, “I am confident that a deal is going to get done for the Marlins. We have three groups. We’re in that sort of tedious phase of the process, due diligence, making sure the financial structuring is all done.

“And I think the Marlins will be in a position fairly soon to make a decision on which bidder we’re going to take forward in the process.”

This article is more about Mas himself, but I found this snippet interesting...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/21/s...rlins-bid.html

A person with knowledge of the bidding competition said Mas extended an offer to Jeter last month to join forces, with the understanding that Jeter would run the Marlins’ baseball operations if Major League Baseball awarded Mas the franchise.

But the offer, that person said, was rejected by Jeter, who preferred to continue his own bid.
        Apparently Mas would've let Jeter run the baseball side of it, but he wanted to run the whole thing - both the business and baseball sides.
        Last edited by rmc523; 07-21-2017, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• I dont understand WTF Jeter wants out of this or why he would expect that anyone would give him what he wants given how much (or how little) he is investing.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
            I dont understand WTF Jeter wants out of this or why he would expect that anyone would give him what he wants given how much (or how little) he is investing.
            What he wants is to invest 25mil of 1.175Billion and have control of everything. Mas invited him in 2 months ago and he said sure but ALL the baseball decisions are his which Mas so no thanks. Guess Mas figured out the only way Jeff will sell him the team is if Jeter is involved so he finally agreed to it(According to NY Times).

So Mas runs the team but Derek Jeter is President of Baseball Operations and David Samson gets demoted to VP. So instead of getting a veteran guy in the FO we are back to 1 guy making all the decisions and in his right ear is an idiot who has no clue about baseball to say Yes!! Great Deal!! May I come to your house after the game?

Would love for Mas to hire him then as soon as he owns the team ask Jeter how much he wants for a buyout!!

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
              What he wants is to invest 25mil of 1.175Billion and have control of everything. Mas invited him in 2 months ago and he said sure but ALL the baseball decisions are his which Mas so no thanks. Guess Mas figured out the only way Jeff will sell him the team is if Jeter is involved so he finally agreed to it(According to NY Times).

So Mas runs the team but Derek Jeter is President of Baseball Operations and David Samson gets demoted to VP. So instead of getting a veteran guy in the FO we are back to 1 guy making all the decisions and in his right ear is an idiot who has no clue about baseball to say Yes!! Great Deal!! May I come to your house after the game?

Would love for Mas to hire him then as soon as he owns the team ask Jeter how much he wants for a buyout!!
              Jeter declined the offer and is still in his own group.
              Last edited by rmc523; 07-21-2017, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• Should be fun to watch Loria handicap the franchise even during the sale of the team.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                  I dont understand WTF Jeter wants out of this or why he would expect that anyone would give him what he wants given how much (or how little) he is investing.
                  Jeter is used to being told everything he does is great. I am not surprised. It is similar to Beckham wondering why Miami isn't bending over backward for his soccer team. These people have spent the last 20 years of their lives being told they are deities.

Comment

• https://www.fanragsports.com/news/mu...um-bush-group/

Well this is somewhat good news - Dave Stewart and Al Leiter have backed out of the Rothbaum/Bush group, so we don't have to worry about Stewart being involved in the front office if they win the bidding.

Comment

• https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...s/Marlins.aspx

Anyone have a subscription to this site?

Comment

• Originally posted by Party View Post
                        Jeter is used to being told everything he does is great. I am not surprised. It is similar to Beckham wondering why Miami isn't bending over backward for his soccer team. These people have spent the last 20 years of their lives being told they are deities.
                        You nailed it

Comment

• http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/sp...163638023.html

Wayne Rothbaum and Jeb Bush, who are leading up a group trying to buy the Miami Marlins, met with MLB commissioner Rob Manfred in New York last week and continue to work toward acquiring the team, a New York-based MLB source said this week.

The meeting, curiously, did not include any representatives from the Marlins, according to the source.

Comment

• http://nypost.com/2017/07/26/miami-b...y-the-marlins/

Miami billionaire Jorge Mas is looking for investors to join his bid for the Miami Marlins baseball team, three sources close to the situation told The Post.

The decision by Mas to seek outside money so he can assume less of the cost and risk himself follows weeks of due diligence whereby he got a close look at the books of the money-losing franchise, sources said.

The Marlins could lose $70 million this season, a source said.

That is good news for Yankees legend Derek Jeter and his bidding group, who are seen as the co-favorites in the long-running contest to buy the team, a source said.
                            Not sure why it's "good news" for Jeter, when he doesn't have his group all the way put together either. I guess in the sense of if Mas' bid isn't complete, Jeter has a better chance?

Comment

• Stephen Ross criticized Loria today. Rightfully. Said he is asking for way too much money and that is why this is taking forever. That was pretty obvious. Again, i really do not think the problem is all these rich people finding enough money to reach Loria's asking price. The issue is they know they are not going to be able to turn a profit when you overspend on the team that dramatically. Fuck Loria.

Comment

• Miami Herald now reporting Mas has met with Manfred.

I also don't see how any of that is good news for Jeter. He's still struggling to put other people's money together.

Comment

Working...
                                X