Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under New Management: The Jeter Group Transition Discussion

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/sp...167837807.html

Here's a good recap of what Rob Manfred had to say about the Marlins sale on the last day of the Owners' meetings.

He apparently is as ready as the rest of us to move on from Loria. He says that MLB hopes to review and approve the deal quickly.

Most importantly, he said that the financing structure presented will allow “them to close the transaction consistent with baseball’s rules.”

He also didn't rule out other investors being added to the group.

Bottom line is that we could be 6 weeks or so away from finally being rid of Loria.

So who's organizing the parade when Loria is finally gone?

Comment

I can't figure out how to post a tweet but LeBatard tweeted that Manfred has told the owners that the team will hire a new COO and Samson is out as team President.
      Last edited by fauowls44; 08-17-2017, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
          I can't figure out how to post a tweet but LeBatard tweeted that Manfred has told the owners that the team will hire a new COO and Samson is out as team President.
          I'm maybe more happy about this than the actual sale of the team.

Comment

Im confused by Lebatard's wording, does that mean that the new owners decided not to keep him or did MLB say no youre not allowed to stay once the team is sold because you suck?

Comment

https://amp.mlb.com/249125438-marlin...eturn.amp.html

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                Im confused by Lebatard's wording, does that mean that the new owners decided not to keep him or did MLB say no youre not allowed to stay once the team is sold because you suck?
                My guess is that they probably were never actually going to keep him anyway (especially not in a role with any power), but MLB likely "encouraged" a clean break from the current regime. The fact that this was told to the other owners at the meetings makes me believe that that was something that the rest of MLB really wanted to hear in the presentation of the bid.
                Last edited by fauowls44; 08-18-2017, 07:54 AM.

Comment

you put the tweet number in [ tweet ] ##### [/ tweet ] without the spaces between the brackets and letters.

This is excellent news - why it was even being considered that he'd stay is beyond me (or maybe it actually wasn't ever an option, but just reported as such). Now if we can just replace Hill.........though at least with him, I think that is a transition role - he stays on because he knows the players/organization, and they'll bring in someone new in a year or two.

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                    you put the tweet number in [ tweet ] ##### [/ tweet ] without the spaces between the brackets and letters.

This is excellent news - why it was even being considered that he'd stay is beyond me (or maybe it actually wasn't ever an option, but just reported as such). Now if we can just replace Hill.........though at least with him, I think that is a transition role - he stays on because he knows the players/organization, and they'll bring in someone new in a year or two.
                    People expected him to stay on because he is signed next year for 5 Million(Now we know why Jeff couldn't expand the budget-he is paying the FO 25 million a year) and he is pretty good at kissing ass and all. Most expect him to be demoted to VP under Jeter but instead he will now just be sitting home collected 5 million. Should keep him around and make him President of Restrooms. Make him quit and get no cash

As for Mike Hill he probably stays on as just the GM(NOT in Baseball Ops) until Jeter hires someone. U need someone to talk trades/contracts and go to meetings during the offseason. Mike Hill isn't great but he is decent as long as he doesn't have to make big decisions

Actually most of the FO is expected to stay around in 2018-Hill,DelPiano,Berger,Meek while Jeter looks for his new VP of Baseball/GM

- - - - - - - - - -

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/sp...167837807.html

Here's a good recap of what Rob Manfred had to say about the Marlins sale on the last day of the Owners' meetings.

He apparently is as ready as the rest of us to move on from Loria. He says that MLB hopes to review and approve the deal quickly.

Most importantly, he said that the financing structure presented will allow “them to close the transaction consistent with baseball’s rules.”

He also didn't rule out other investors being added to the group.

Bottom line is that we could be 6 weeks or so away from finally being rid of Loria.
                    This is why they wanted a deal before Wed. MLB and other owners were sick of Jeff however they have to hold votes which if they didnt do now they would have to wait till Nov. Prelim votes were Wed with final vote by Oct/Nov. Jeter should be incharge by the Winter Meetings on Dec 10

The investor stuff has to do with MLB not being happy with Dell's involvement. They prefer to have actually cash BUT with that being said they are willing to give them some room to get rid of Jeff. Deal is done just doing background work now
                    Last edited by tjfla; 08-18-2017, 09:25 AM.

Comment

I don't see why the front office would remain intact for a year. It doesn't take a year to put together a new regime. I have to think Jeter and the group have a list of candidates of who they want to hire at this point.

Comment

Mike Hill at least seems like a good dude unlike the rest of the clowns in our FO, but this transition should be scorched earth.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                          People expected him to stay on because he is signed next year for 5 Million(Now we know why Jeff couldn't expand the budget-he is paying the FO 25 million a year) and he is pretty good at kissing ass and all. Most expect him to be demoted to VP under Jeter but instead he will now just be sitting home collected 5 million. Should keep him around and make him President of Restrooms. Make him quit and get no cash

As for Mike Hill he probably stays on as just the GM(NOT in Baseball Ops) until Jeter hires someone. U need someone to talk trades/contracts and go to meetings during the offseason. Mike Hill isn't great but he is decent as long as he doesn't have to make big decisions

Actually most of the FO is expected to stay around in 2018-Hill,DelPiano,Berger,Meek while Jeter looks for his new VP of Baseball/GM

- - - - - - - - - -

This is why they wanted a deal before Wed. MLB and other owners were sick of Jeff however they have to hold votes which if they didnt do now they would have to wait till Nov. Prelim votes were Wed with final vote by Oct/Nov. Jeter should be incharge by the Winter Meetings on Dec 10

The investor stuff has to do with MLB not being happy with Dell's involvement. They prefer to have actually cash BUT with that being said they are willing to give them some room to get rid of Jeff. Deal is done just doing background work now
                          Are other execs paid that much? Maybe guys like Theo that actually deserve it...

This may be a stupid question, but what's the difference with a GM and baseball operations? I always thought it was just a way to add more to the title.

Just add Mas to the group and call it a day...

I don't see why the front office would remain intact for a year. It doesn't take a year to put together a new regime. I have to think Jeter and the group have a list of candidates of who they want to hire at this point.
                          I think it may depend on when the sale goes through/is finalized. If it's before/in time for the offseason, it wouldn't surprise me if they cleaned house from the beginning and brought in someone new. But if it happens later, I could see Hill & co. staying on. When the Dodgers were sold, they kept the existing front office for a few years before bringing in Andrew Friedman and the rest of them.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                          Mike Hill at least seems like a good dude unlike the rest of the clowns in our FO, but this transition should be scorched earth.
                          Yeah, he just kind of seems to be "there" with Loria and Samson being the bad guys (should we start a rumor that Hill is actually responsible for all the fire sales and Loria desperately wanted to keep everyone but Hill did it anyway?).

I agree, though. I think the new ownership group would be best served to get rid of just about everyone associated with Loria's ownership, at least at the top/in the front office. Who knows, Hill might actually be competent at his job and just that limited/constricted by Loria to run things how they should be (draft, trades, free agents etc.), but he certainly hasn't done much in his time in charge.....terrible, questionable trades (even at the time, let alone now looking back) are perhaps the biggest red flag that come to mind. I've been waiting for Beinfest to get another GM job to see what he'd do under a real owner, but that hasn't happened yet.
                          Last edited by rmc523; 08-18-2017, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Yeah, that's the thing with Hill is that since Loria has meddled so much, it's hard to actually know if he's qualified for the job. I mean, I don't think he would have been so fast to trade Castillo. I think Loria ordered him to find a controllable MLB pitcher, so he did. And really, Straily for a AA pitcher wasn't a bad deal, although Castillo is turning into a stud.

I also thought he got good value for Phelps and Ramos with, I assume, Loria not involved.

Comment

Yeah, that's the thing with Hill is that since Loria has meddled so much, it's hard to actually know if he's qualified for the job. I mean, I don't think he would have been so fast to trade Castillo. I think Loria ordered him to find a controllable MLB pitcher, so he did. And really, Straily for a AA pitcher wasn't a bad deal, although Castillo is turning into a stud.

I also thought he got good value for Phelps and Ramos with, I assume, Loria not involved.
                              A good point I didn't think of within my own comment about the terrible trades are that they were always made with money in mind - Loria wouldn't eat money to get better players back, both when selling and buying. So we'd often overpay for mediocre guys because he wouldn't pony up extra money to get impact players when buying.

Comment

Working...
                              X