The Official Miami Marlins "Sale of the Team" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
    good talk. im just so sorry im not privy to all the inside information you are. not all of us have inside information from around the urinal.
    U should just make another name and u could argue with yourself over stuff instead of others

Spent months complaining/talking about how u don't want a complete and total rebuild but now u are cool with it. U should think less it might be better for u

By way hows your savior looking?
    Last edited by tjfla; 09-28-2017, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      U should just make another name and u could argue with yourself over stuff instead of others

Spent months complaining/talking about how u don't want a complete and total rebuild but now u are cool with it. U should think less it might be better for u

By way hows your savior looking?
      i said i didnt want a complete and total rebuild. I still think this team could be rebuilt as is if done properly and with an ownership that is willing to invest in the right areas. But if they insist on cutting payroll to a ridiculous $55 million, a complete and total rebuild is necessary to do so and im cool with that again, if done properly. i have no preference either way as a fan, i just want it done right and in a way that facilitates long term stability and consistency in performance.

Also, no one claimed Peters or Anderson was a savior. The claim was that it is ridiculous to keep trotting Telis out there rather than giving the top position prospect lighting up AAA a chance to out match his production, and even though Anderson has been average that was a hell of an improvement on Telis. And again, Peters wasnt being hailed as a savior, he was being hailed as an improvement on Worley and Nicolino and someone who could at least go out there and throw plus stuff and give the team a chance to compete as a reward for fighting back from 15 games under .500.

And ill stop "arguing with myself" when you stop making up sources based off things everyone reads on twitter. Youre acting as if you have sources from around the water cooler/urinal cakes when you dont.
      Last edited by fish16; 09-28-2017, 04:37 PM.

Comment

• Man, Samson's comments in his presser today..... just a complete lack of awareness for why this franchise is so hated and why they have been so terrible for so long.

- - - - - - - - - -

“We need a few breaks. We need for one time to have complete calmness around the Marlins and to have people to have faith in leadership…. Are people happy for a change? They may be.”
        Just such little self awareness. The ownership and front office is literally responsible for everything wrong with the team and the view of the team locally.

“Jeffrey funded this team by himself for 16 seasons,” Samson said. “There were several seasons where he didn’t have to but way, way more where he did have to.”
        that and those many millions of revenue sharing and tax payer stadium funds. Not to mention we've had some of the smallest payrolls in the league for years. Give me a break. These guys cant leave soon enough.
        Last edited by fish16; 09-28-2017, 05:40 PM.

Comment

• The sale is complete:

[tweet]914883409641721856[/tweet]

Comment

• [QUOTE=fish16;385518]

And ill stop "arguing with myself" when you stop making up sources based off things everyone reads on twitter. Youre acting as if you have sources from around the water cooler/urinal cakes when you dont.[/QUOTE]

NO Deal!! Hey it was just a suggestion. U can be fish16 and be Pro-Marlin. Tons of love and no total rebuild. Then your alter ego can be fish116 and be anti-Marlin. Talk about a complete and total rebuild how the team sucks and u hate them. U can have argue between your self and that way not argue with everyone else for months about something only to then say the exact same thing u didnt like

Fish16 can be like Derek Jeter is great and love the new FO then fish116 can be like Jeter sucks and bash the FO then u can respond to the other id even tho its really u

U are totally right I have no sources around the urinals(other places YES) but not the urinals. Told u my guy got promoted!!!

Comment

• [QUOTE=tjfla;385553]
              Originally posted by fish16 View Post

And ill stop "arguing with myself" when you stop making up sources based off things everyone reads on twitter. Youre acting as if you have sources from around the water cooler/urinal cakes when you dont.[/QUOTE]

NO Deal!! Hey it was just a suggestion. U can be fish16 and be Pro-Marlin. Tons of love and no total rebuild. Then your alter ego can be fish116 and be anti-Marlin. Talk about a complete and total rebuild how the team sucks and u hate them. U can have argue between your self and that way not argue with everyone else for months about something only to then say the exact same thing u didnt like

Fish16 can be like Derek Jeter is great and love the new FO then fish116 can be like Jeter sucks and bash the FO then u can respond to the other id even tho its really u

U are totally right I have no sources around the urinals(other places YES) but not the urinals. Told u my guy got promoted!!!
              So sorry im not gonna be a homer and only talk about the good this franchise does when they havent made the playoffs in 15 years and have been one of if not the worst run team in sports over that entire period as well as thieves of tax payer money.

And tell your "friend" congratulations. Head urinal cleaner now. Now he directs the person who took his job to change the urinal cakes rather than doing it himself. Big things happening!!!

Comment

• Well we now know what Jeff has been spending all his extra cash on. Seems the Bobblehead Museum belongs to him

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/sp...176594351.html

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                  Well we now know what Jeff has been spending all his extra cash on. Seems the Bobblehead Museum belongs to him

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/sp...176594351.html
                  that is incredible. Legitimately funny. also fuck him. But still funny.

Comment

• Press conference (on Fox Sports Florida) tomorrow at 11:00 AM

Comment

• I know I've repeated this a bunch, but the sentiment remains. The team is not good, but it's also close to being good. If, let's say the Mets or Phillies had the trio of Stanton - Ozuna - Yelich, many would be saying punt on the next three years because that's an OF to build a division winning lineup around. Add to that Realmuto and Gordon and the framework is there for a very good lineup. I'm ready to give up on Bour just because it's always something. Prado's dead money but I think that was assumed when the extension was given. SS is a void, but it's been that way since 2013...there's really been no effort made to upgrade that position.

The rotation is a mess, but every meaningful rebuild that has teams in the playoffs this season, save for Houston, involved spending money on at least one big free agent pitcher, or spending money and farm system pieces to add an arm, and even Houston can be thrown in to that mix if Verlander is a difference maker (which he kind of is but he was the cherry on top rather than the foundation like Lester or Sale or Tanaka).

Tearing this team down now is really the end for the franchise. They're already playing in front of crowds that are roughly what they had at Pro Player in a stadium that's 5 years old and in the city center rather than Miami Gardens. The franchise is dead. More of the same is just going to end it.

Maybe it won't be the move that wins 100 games, but Arrieta off a down year probably won't get 6 years, him on a four year deal, another take a flyer type trade to add a 4/5 guy gives the rotation a 1-2-3 that could at least hold the fort down while the offense scores 850 runs next season and hope that one back of the rotation arm isn't a disaster means you're in the hunt for the wild-card come September, most likely, and that's how you get the fans back. Not another tear down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swifty View Post
                        I know I've repeated this a bunch, but the sentiment remains. The team is not good, but it's also close to being good. If, let's say the Mets or Phillies had the trio of Stanton - Ozuna - Yelich, many would be saying punt on the next three years because that's an OF to build a division winning lineup around. Add to that Realmuto and Gordon and the framework is there for a very good lineup. I'm ready to give up on Bour just because it's always something. Prado's dead money but I think that was assumed when the extension was given. SS is a void, but it's been that way since 2013...there's really been no effort made to upgrade that position.

The rotation is a mess, but every meaningful rebuild that has teams in the playoffs this season, save for Houston, involved spending money on at least one big free agent pitcher, or spending money and farm system pieces to add an arm, and even Houston can be thrown in to that mix if Verlander is a difference maker (which he kind of is but he was the cherry on top rather than the foundation like Lester or Sale or Tanaka).

Tearing this team down now is really the end for the franchise. They're already playing in front of crowds that are roughly what they had at Pro Player in a stadium that's 5 years old and in the city center rather than Miami Gardens. The franchise is dead. More of the same is just going to end it.

Maybe it won't be the move that wins 100 games, but Arrieta off a down year probably won't get 6 years, him on a four year deal, another take a flyer type trade to add a 4/5 guy gives the rotation a 1-2-3 that could at least hold the fort down while the offense scores 850 runs next season and hope that one back of the rotation arm isn't a disaster means you're in the hunt for the wild-card come September, most likely, and that's how you get the fans back. Not another tear down.
                        trading them isnt the end of the franchise. You might get low crowds for 2-3 years while you rebuild the right way, but the fans will be back once you start winning again. Also, while I agree that we do have the makings of a good potential lineup and I would be completely fine with them running it back and trying to find pitching on the fly, finding pitching on the fly is so hard and can be done in a way that is successful like the Cubs, or you could sign a guy like arrieta and have another Chen on your hands.

I think tearing it down and rebuilding it the right way to find a sustainable winner is the way to go, but I think it can be done both ways. The problem lays in the possibility that you dont rebuild and arent able to find pitching on the fly and have the same, below average, expensive team for the foreseeable future.

I think i would do a combination of both, trying to rid yourself of guys like Ozuna, Prado, Gordon, Bour, Chen, Tazawa, and Ziegler over the next few years while keeping Stanton, Yelich, Realmuto, Anderson, Urena, etc. and then investing in the draft and IFA so that within the next 2-3 years we develop one of the better farm systems in baseball so that we can start to develop a 2nd young core around that young core rather than always having to resort to the worst place to be in baseball: free agency for mediocre players. If you develop a proper farm system and invest in the right areas, you should never have to sign guys like Volquez, Chen, Ziegler, Tazawa, etc. This team's problem is not that we dont have great young talent, its that the lack of spending on player development from the previous ownership led to a terrible farm system which led to having to spend outrageous amounts of money on average players. Because we did that, we know have an exorbitant payroll for an average team.

Now if Stanton says he wants no part of a rebuild, then you have no choice but to blow it up and do a full rebuild. This team can be brought back to being a winner multiple ways, and both have their risks, but to be honest the fanbase reaction shouldnt be anywhere close to a priority. This fanbase will follow any winner. Bringing back consistent winning and a sustainable winning team should be the priority, even if it takes 2-3 years like the Astros and Cubs. Plus, if you properly frame blowing up this team, i think most fans would understand why they are doing what they are doing.

Comment

• I'm not a fan of a total rebuild either, but what they currently have is not good enough to win and also not a sustainable model for success in the future. You can't have a handful of players making a combined $95 million just to try and win 85 games every year. I'd love to keep the OF together, but trading some or all of them could be the quickest path forward. It'll be interesting to see how the new ownership navigates this.

What this team has lacked most for a decade is a direction. They've just been doing whatever Loria felt like doing each year and now they are in a tough spot. Would they lose fans? Maybe initially...but what I think fans want most from a team is a consistent winning product. If they are honest and have a clear plan to achieve that, I think people will buy in.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                            I'm not a fan of a total rebuild either, but what they currently have is not good enough to win and also not a sustainable model for success in the future. You can't have a handful of players making a combined $95 million just to try and win 85 games every year. I'd love to keep the OF together, but trading some or all of them could be the quickest path forward. It'll be interesting to see how the new ownership navigates this.

What this team has lacked most for a decade is a direction. They've just been doing whatever Loria felt like doing each year and now they are in a tough spot. Would they lose fans? Maybe initially...but what I think fans want most from a team is a consistent winning product. If they are honest and have a clear plan to achieve that, I think people will buy in.
                            Scary how similar your viewpoint is to mine.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                              Scary how similar your viewpoint is to mine.
                              Haha...I know! But it's true. I can get behind a good plan. What they have done since 2003 isn't a plan...it's just whatever came to Loria's mind when he woke up that day.

Comment

• So Sherman came off as very likeable in the press conference. Well spoken, friendly vibe. I like it.

Jeter, however, not as much. Sherman is clearly in awe of Jeter. It’s clearly evident that most people in Jeter’s life are in awe of him and he acts accordingly (I’m speculating big time).

Totally reading in to how Jeter spoke of Stanton, my guess is that Stanton has played his last game as a Marlin.

Not a single reporter mentioned that it’s been 14 years since the Marlins made the playoffs. I think it’s dumb that happened.

Comment

Working...
                                X