Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    Joe Frisaro I mean Namaste with a good twitter for once

Those consumed with lack of #Marlins prospects. If this team doesn't win, we'll be talking about at a lot of prospects in the near future.

In 2 years we will be complaining about the prospects they got in return for everyone instead of the prospects we gave up for guys. This trade and everything else this offseason just adds fuel to Jeff is gone by 2019. If u can't help the MLB team in the next 2 years u could be gone
    Oh, you mean when "player x" (let's just say Ramos) struggles and they sell low on him for a crappy batch of prospects? I can't wait for that.

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
    the thing i just dont get is if they had an amount of money they were willing to spend if they were going to get Chapman or one of those closers, why is that money not available now to improve the rotation instead of giving up assets? We are just run like such a minor league organization it is hard to be a fan. And its not just the lack of money, it is the complete lack of operating like a low payroll team. There are so many well run low budget teams in this league, it is hard to believe we are still stuck with these morons in our front office.
    Trying to assign logic to anything they do is a difficult undertaking, but my guess would be Loria will only spend money if he has a hard on for someone, and that was the case with those two (maybe with Jansen the hard on was shared by him and Don). Other than that, he keeps the purse strings tied tight and has Hill give away prospects.

Comment

I'm surprised some of you care about this one this much. Practically, they didn't trade that great of prospects but did get what appears to be a competent SP. Whose to say he isn't establishing a new baseline? I kind of dig these articles:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/pitch...h-dan-straily/
      http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/mix...-and-lemahieu/

This sounds like the kind of guy you want on your team? And I have to imagine Benedict hand picked him. I defer to his track record.

There is certainly a lot to complain about with the franchise, but this one doesn't piss me off (albeit, I don't think its a surefire win either). It's fine and does help right now. I'd probably prefer him to Rea if we are keeping tabs.

Anyways, I also want to mention, payroll for the team is $112 million right now. That's pretty good right? I'm even surprised looking that up.

My issue is the same - they have $15.5 million tied up with Ozuna, Ramos, and Koehler. That seems like a useless waste of money as opposed to getting a young SP upgrade (surely with Ozuna/Ramos) which helps now and longterm, getting a young lefty reliever for Koehler (I'd expect him to get something like Strarily, maybe a little less as he is more expensive right? That's fine), and then using that $15 million to sign someone like Mark Reynolds to help Bour and someone like Brandon Moss to bash some righties in LF. Surely Moss/Reynolds/Ichiro/Dietrich can handle a big LF platoon? Especially since Prado can play out there and they can play Rojas/Dietrich/Realmuto in the infield some games?

Anyways, I like that team a lot. Hope they have another move or two in them to upgrade SP now and longterm and leverage the bullpen depth to their advantage by trading 1-2 of them. Not optimistic, but we'll see. This deal came out of nowhere so who knows.

Comment

So I've mentioned how I liked Austin Brice in the past but at some point he's gotta prove to be consistently good. Wouldn't have personally traded him since I've mentioned issues with taking from our minor league system but there were serious problems with the starting rotation that still needed to be addressed.

Luis Castillo is coming off his first really good minor league season. He's a great case of the Marlins front office seeing a guy whose value was the highest it would ever be as a prospect and trying to get a return for him (the Padres trade and now this). No issues there.

Isaiah White is 20 years old, hasn't produced well in the low minors, and we have no idea what he is. Not really anything lost there at least what we know yet.

Straily is obviously a buy high guy. He was DFA'ed just over a year ago. Is he likely to regress significantly? Peripherals suggest yes. That said the team control thing is significant in the sense that if he can be a 4 WAR player again he's an incredible value. Plus none of our starting pitchers outside of maaaaaybe Dillon Peters is beyond a #4 or 5 starter at best in the majors. Team had to do something or it was going to have Jeff Locke in the starting rotation.

Long term I have to believe the team knows there are problems. Short term I have to believe the Marlins know there are problems as well. The farm system has been gutted, and the major league squad has question marks despite a talented group.

Team was put in a tough situation this offseason. This trade alone isn't a problem. It's acceptable in the sense that the team knows where a big problem is and did their best to try and fix it.

The important thing to remember is the long term vision of this team is very likely to change soon, so it's difficult to judge any current move as a part of that long term picture of the team.

- - - - - - - - - -

There is a problem with the team not valuing prospects though and just not understanding the market. They've traded away prospects for short term players when the Chicago Cubs just won a World Series by building with drafted players, international signings and under the radar trades. Indians had one of the lowest salaries in baseball and did it in a similar fashion, with guys like Lindor, Kluber, Santana, etc... being major pieces in leading the team to a World Series push. You look around the league and the best teams are mainly homegrown with an emphasis on scouting, development, and attacking market inefficiencies.

Because of the playoffs, closers have reached a higher value than ever before. The Marlins attempted to pay top dollar for Chapman, Jensen, and a small run at Melancon. Instead of bringing back Chapman for a large amount, the Cubs used their minor league depth to get an equally good closer, Wade Davis, for a much smaller money commitment. Even for a team that spends a lot of money, that freed up cash to spend in other areas this offseason and down the line.

Yes, the Dodgers, Giants, and others spent big to retain and grab closers, but they are also teams that understand the resources they have available and where they can extend themselves. I'm not sure what the Marlins thought they'd be with $70 million+ dedicated to Jansen, and the team in a way lucked itself into a better situation with Ziegler/Tazawa.

I'm always about teams learning and growing from others mistakes. That's how the A's became a contender in the early 2000s, The Rays in the late 2000s to early 2010s, and the Cubs now. I just don't see that happening in Miami. Straily isn't a problem. It's more the organizational philosophy at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
          I'm surprised some of you care about this one this much. Practically, they didn't trade that great of prospects but did get what appears to be a competent SP. Whose to say he isn't establishing a new baseline? I kind of dig these articles:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/pitch...h-dan-straily/
          http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/mix...-and-lemahieu/

This sounds like the kind of guy you want on your team? And I have to imagine Benedict hand picked him. I defer to his track record.

There is certainly a lot to complain about with the franchise, but this one doesn't piss me off (albeit, I don't think its a surefire win either). It's fine and does help right now. I'd probably prefer him to Rea if we are keeping tabs.

Anyways, I also want to mention, payroll for the team is $112 million right now. That's pretty good right? I'm even surprised looking that up.

My issue is the same - they have $15.5 million tied up with Ozuna, Ramos, and Koehler. That seems like a useless waste of money as opposed to getting a young SP upgrade (surely with Ozuna/Ramos) which helps now and longterm, getting a young lefty reliever for Koehler (I'd expect him to get something like Strarily, maybe a little less as he is more expensive right? That's fine), and then using that $15 million to sign someone like Mark Reynolds to help Bour and someone like Brandon Moss to bash some righties in LF. Surely Moss/Reynolds/Ichiro/Dietrich can handle a big LF platoon? Especially since Prado can play out there and they can play Rojas/Dietrich/Realmuto in the infield some games?

Anyways, I like that team a lot. Hope they have another move or two in them to upgrade SP now and longterm and leverage the bullpen depth to their advantage by trading 1-2 of them. Not optimistic, but we'll see. This deal came out of nowhere so who knows.

Looks like the "target" is Chris Carter with the backup being Mark Reynolds with the money they saved. Saved as in instead of 10 million for an arm they spent 2.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by dim View Post
          So I've mentioned how I liked Austin Brice in the past but at some point he's gotta prove to be consistently good. Wouldn't have personally traded him since I've mentioned issues with taking from our minor league system but there were serious problems with the starting rotation that still needed to be addressed.

Luis Castillo is coming off his first really good minor league season. He's a great case of the Marlins front office seeing a guy whose value was the highest it would ever be as a prospect and trying to get a return for him (the Padres trade and now this). No issues there.

Isaiah White is 20 years old, hasn't produced well in the low minors, and we have no idea what he is. Not really anything lost there at least what we know yet.

Straily is obviously a buy high guy. He was DFA'ed just over a year ago. Is he likely to regress significantly? Peripherals suggest yes. That said the team control thing is significant in the sense that if he can be a 4 WAR player again he's an incredible value. Plus none of our starting pitchers outside of maaaaaybe Dillon Peters is beyond a #4 or 5 starter at best in the majors. Team had to do something or it was going to have Jeff Locke in the starting rotation.

Long term I have to believe the team knows there are problems. Short term I have to believe the Marlins know there are problems as well. The farm system has been gutted, and the major league squad has question marks despite a talented group.

Team was put in a tough situation this offseason. This trade alone isn't a problem. It's acceptable in the sense that the team knows where a big problem is and did their best to try and fix it.

The important thing to remember is the long term vision of this team is very likely to change soon, so it's difficult to judge any current move as a part of that long term picture of the team.
          That is what is funny. They gave up 3 replaceable prospects for a MLB SP and now have the cash in the budget to get a power bat. Its not like they gave up anything great

White showed nothing and was "replaced" by Dalton Wheat on the minor league depth chart(LF-Greensboro)
          Brice was passed by Steckenrider and with Wittgren/Ellington in AAA he would have been the 5th option
          Castillo while looked good has the body of Leo Nunez(6'1 170 if he is lucky) and the FO had doubts if he could be a SP which is why he was dealt before. Alot

Comment

Working...
          X