Marlins to Acquire Dan Straily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins to Acquire Dan Straily

I like the rotation better now, and I like the bullpen better because Locke is (presumably) in the pen, but we just traded our top two pitching prospects for a guy who was DFAd last year

@Ken_Rosenthal 4m4 minutes ago
    Source confirms: #Marlins close to acquiring Dan Straily from #Reds for RHPs Luis Castillo and Austin Brice, plus lesser third piece.
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

The marlins inability to recognize market inefficiencies and take advantage of them is absolutely absurd. Time of the winter when the best value deals are available where we would have to give up nothing? Lets give up 2 prospects for a guy who had his best year of his career that was overridden by his 4.88 FIP. Terrible fucking deal by a terrible fucking front office.

- - - - - - - - - -

And the best/most pathetic aspect of this deal is it makes you think that the team thinks they are anywhere near a playoff team, which they arent, and yet they wont spend on any else significant like a platoon partner for bour

- - - - - - - - - -

Craig Mish ‏@CraigMish 8m8 minutes ago
    Dan Straily gave up 13 HR in Cincinnati and 18 on the road last season.

8-1 2.90 Home
    6-7 4.70 Road

Have a nice day.
    Calling it now, he will be latos 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
      The marlins inability to recognize market inefficiencies and take advantage of them is absolutely absurd. Time of the winter when the best value deals are available where we would have to give up nothing? Lets give up 2 prospects for a guy who had his best year of his career that was overridden by his 4.88 FIP. Terrible fucking deal by a terrible fucking front office.
      So they get a rotation piece that moves Locke down to the pen/emergency SP which 99% of the fans wanted and it was a terrible deal?? The best fans ever!!
      Ya Straily isn't special but #1 he is under club control till 2021,#2 they tried to get him multiple times before and #3 cost us 2 RP. Castillo and Brice are decent prospects but the fact is we already have a set pen for 2 years and 4/5 other guys sitting in AAA waiting.Must be something about Castillo that the FO doesn't like tho(Likely that he is size of Leo Nunez-not to many of these guys can handle SP)

Marlins rotation: Chen, Volquez, Straily, Conley, Koehler. Bullpen: Phelps, Locke, McGowan, Tazawa, Ziegler, Barraclough, Ramos.

AAA-Fife,Nicolino,Esch,Steckenrider,Cervenka,Wittgren, Ellington,Guerra,Guerrero,Cunniff

DFA-Urena,Despaigne
      Last edited by tjfla; 01-19-2017, 08:00 AM.

Comment

SO lets give up assets for a mediocre at best player then because we have a stocked bullpen! Great, long term thinking idea. We just gave up 2 assets for a starter who is not good.

Comment

SO lets give up assets for a mediocre at best player then because we have a stocked bullpen! Great, long term thinking idea. We just gave up 2 assets for a starter who is not good.
          LONG TERM THINKING???? They are thinking for 2 years no more.

Actually Castillo is the only asset-Brice bombed as a SP and is replaced very easily by Steckenrider and White is a very long ways off.

I agree I would have shot for a higher target but controllable arm they like and have tried to get before

- - - - - - - - - -

3rd Prospect is Isaiah White

So to recap Marlins get bent over a barrel AGAIN however get a Cheap #5 SP and Locke becomes the lefty in the pen/Emergency SP which fans love. Looks like another Jeff Loria Special!!!

Countdown to 2019!!!
          Last edited by tjfla; 01-19-2017, 08:15 AM.

Comment

this organization has really numbed my love of baseball

Comment

- - - - - - - - - -

And the best/most pathetic aspect of this deal is it makes you think that the team thinks they are anywhere near a playoff team, which they arent, and yet they wont spend on any else significant like a platoon partner for bour

- - - - - - - - - -

Calling it now, he will be latos 2.0
              Attempting to look at this more positively, maybe this acquisition - one done via trade, not money/FA - allows them to spend more money on a bench bat/Bour platoon partner? I know it's the Marlins, but one can hope.

Comment

I mean if he can maintain what he did last year for the next couple of years probably not a terrible trade, but he's a guy that's played for 5 teams in now his 5th year. That might be a lot to ask. We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                  Attempting to look at this more positively, maybe this acquisition - one done via trade, not money/FA - allows them to spend more money on a bench bat/Bour platoon partner? I know it's the Marlins, but one can hope.
                  I'm waiting now for them to trade Koehler and move Locke back to the rotation and spend $1m on a bench bat but not a platoon partner and pocket the rest
                  Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                    I'm waiting now for them to trade Koehler and move Locke back to the rotation and spend $1m on a bench bat but not a platoon partner and pocket the rest
                    Sounds about right.

Comment

Joe Frisaro I mean Namaste with a good twitter for once

Those consumed with lack of #Marlins prospects. If this team doesn't win, we'll be talking about at a lot of prospects in the near future.

In 2 years we will be complaining about the prospects they got in return for everyone instead of the prospects we gave up for guys. This trade and everything else this offseason just adds fuel to Jeff is gone by 2019. If u can't help the MLB team in the next 2 years u could be gone

Comment

I don't mind this.

Would be nice to send out Koehler/Ozuna/Ramos and get a young SP, real bullpen lefty, and two mashing LF/1B types between trade assets and the extra $15 million or so those 3 make

I agree this is Loria going for it and an omen to a sale in 1-2 years

Comment

Too add the Rotation is

Chen,Volquez,Conley,Koehler,Straily

If anyone goes down then

Locke moves into the spot and Wittgren or Ellington get called up to the pen

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by lou View Post
                          I don't mind this.

Would be nice to send out Koehler/Ozuna/Ramos and get a young SP, real bullpen lefty, and two mashing LF/1B types between trade assets and the extra $15 million or so those 3 make

I agree this is Loria going for it and an omen to a sale in 1-2 years
                          Well Plouffe signed for 6 million so gotta think that is cost for "cheap" bat. Also Urena is out of options so he could be included in any deals. Would suck to lose him for nothing to SD like we did Hand

Comment

Really would like for them to trade Ramos for a bat

Comment

It makes too much sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X