6. Jarlin Garcia, lhp
    7. Edward Cabrera, rhp
    8. Austin Dean, of
    9. Stone Garrett, of
    10. Thomas Jones, of

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...fpbFfpbBFco.97

shocking lack of respect for Dalton Wheat

Comment

good lord what a horrific list. But lets give up a first round pick for a closer when we have 3 capable closers already in our bullpen. Have a fucking plan

Comment

They do have a plan, you just don't like it

Comment

Originally posted by HUGG View Post
          They do have a plan, you just don't like it
          They have a plan that is different than it was a month ago, and different than it will be a few months from now. That is not a plan.

Comment

You must not be married

Comment

Did not know who Cabrera was. Looked up and he's one of those really young DSL guys with a 4 ERA there in like 7 starts. He's in the top 10 of a farm system. Ow.

Overall it's correct. I'd argue for Peters over Kolek, but it's still hard to determine what kind of pitcher he is. Hopefully they put him in Jupiter next year and watch him produce.

Stone Garrett was really bad in GBoro last year (I think he was injury plagued). There's no reason he should be top 10 after failing in a pro hitter's league.

Tomas Telis should be on the list if he still counts as a prospect. That's debatable though.

Wondering where Cody Poteet is. He had an ERA under 3 in GBoro last year and his numbers were solid. Trevor Richards was also interesting even if he isn't top 10 right now.

Raudel Lazo is the last guy I can think of worth talking about. He had an ERA under 2 as a reliever in AAA. Jumped 3 levels in a single season. At 27 he isn't a prospect though.

That's all I've got. Pretty tough to talk about.

- - - - - - - - - -

Out of all the guys in our system, the actual potential major league players (and there's a lot of projection in some of the names I'll bring up) are Garrett, Kolek, Castillo, Anderson, Riddle, Anderson, Peters, Garcia, and maybe Poteet. After that I don't see anybody with even potential right now to break out of the minors at any point (excluding the journeymen like Esch of course).

Comment

Sickles list is out

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2017/...pects-for-2017

Comment

MLB.com List is out

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=mia

Few new names on it like Albert Guaimaro #16,Roy Morales #21,Remey Reed #23,John Norwood#28

Man its a sad system. All of our bats are projects and all of our arms are RP(that could move fast) who we are trying to make a SP OR at best #4/#5 SP

Only prospects look to be Anderson,Peters,Kolek(If Healthy) and Garrett(Hasnt thrown yet)
                  Last edited by tjfla; 02-21-2017, 01:45 PM.

Comment

I don't know even how much of a prospect left Tyler Kolek is. He had serious arm surgery and we haven't seen him pitched following it (plus he didn't have a lot of control before that). I like Brian Anderson but he seems clearly a bench bat/utility player more than a starter at the major league level. I really like Dillon Peters and I've stated my case about that before, even if he seems like a ceiling #3 starter. I don't know what we have in Garrett yet, and it's always a bad indictment on a system when your recently drafted 1st rounder leads the pack immediately.

Cody Poteet also did some good stuff last season. Really low level and it wasn't Chris Paddack standout like performance. I've also stated my case for why I think Telis can be a major league catcher (and he's clearly low rated at #29 because his age) but that's partly an indictment on the rough state offensively major league catching is at.

It's not a good system. The Marlins front office clearly knows how bad the system is, and they really don't seem to care about making it better given they've traded off every notable prospect the last three years for mostly guys off the team by now (Martin Prado/David Phelps trade seems to be the only clear win trade the past few years).

The biggest thing the Marlins still need to do is draft better. I know the front office has parted with a lot of prospects, but the front office has traded those guys because they never viewed any of those guys as untouchables. Outside of Stanton/Fernandez (and if you want to be nice Yelich), the Marlins haven't had an "untouchable" prospect acquired by the team (either draft or international free agent signing) since Jeremy Hermida and Cabrera before that. You don't need those guys to have a good system, but the team's currently competing in baseball have a large batch of those elite prospects sitting in their system. It's how you win in the majors and I personally believe the Marlins may have already squandered their window to compete. With Jose it was already gonna be incredibly difficult. Without Jose the chances are a hundred to one imo.

Comment

Worst rated system in baseball!!!

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...V34bovHpB91.97

Since 2011 only once have we had a system ranked higher than #25. Pretty sad for a team that needs to build thru the system

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by dim View Post
                      I don't know even how much of a prospect left Tyler Kolek is. He had serious arm surgery and we haven't seen him pitched following it (plus he didn't have a lot of control before that). I like Brian Anderson but he seems clearly a bench bat/utility player more than a starter at the major league level. I really like Dillon Peters and I've stated my case about that before, even if he seems like a ceiling #3 starter. I don't know what we have in Garrett yet, and it's always a bad indictment on a system when your recently drafted 1st rounder leads the pack immediately.

Cody Poteet also did some good stuff last season. Really low level and it wasn't Chris Paddack standout like performance. I've also stated my case for why I think Telis can be a major league catcher (and he's clearly low rated at #29 because his age) but that's partly an indictment on the rough state offensively major league catching is at.

It's not a good system. The Marlins front office clearly knows how bad the system is, and they really don't seem to care about making it better given they've traded off every notable prospect the last three years for mostly guys off the team by now (Martin Prado/David Phelps trade seems to be the only clear win trade the past few years).

The biggest thing the Marlins still need to do is draft better. I know the front office has parted with a lot of prospects, but the front office has traded those guys because they never viewed any of those guys as untouchables. Outside of Stanton/Fernandez (and if you want to be nice Yelich), the Marlins haven't had an "untouchable" prospect acquired by the team (either draft or international free agent signing) since Jeremy Hermida and Cabrera before that. You don't need those guys to have a good system, but the team's currently competing in baseball have a large batch of those elite prospects sitting in their system. It's how you win in the majors and I personally believe the Marlins may have already squandered their window to compete. With Jose it was already gonna be incredibly difficult. Without Jose the chances are a hundred to one imo.
                      The thing with the draft is instead of drafting baseball talent they go looking for Mike Stanton(Project guys who could become great but in reality aren't baseball players) OR college guys who can add cheap depth to the system. This past year they actually drafted well I thought-got some actual baseball players and advanced arms who are pitchers and not just FB guys. Still wish we drafted less 23 yr olds and looked at some CC/JC guys who are 19/20

If u look at teams like Boston/Atlanta/St Louis,its all about drafting the BPA at any point. If they sign they cool and if not o well-these teams draft guys in Rd 14($100,000) that become ML players while we draft guys in Rd 14($20,000) who retire after their first season

Comment

MLB Top 30 List-Where they will start.

1. Braxton Garrett -- Extended spring camp
                        2. Tyler Kolek -- Extended spring camp -- rehab
                        3. Brian Anderson -- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (AA)
                        4. Jarlin Garcia -- New Orleans Baby Cakes (AAA)
                        5. Dillon Peters -- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (AA)
                        **6. Isael Soto -- Disabled list- OUT FOR YEAR(Broken Foot)
                        7. Thomas Jones -- Extended spring camp
                        8. Stone Garrett -- Jupiter Hammerheads (A Adv)
                        9. Drew Steckenrider -- New Orleans Baby Cakes (AAA)
                        10. James Nelson -- Extended spring camp -- rehab
                        11. Edward Cabrera -- Extended spring camp
                        12. J.T. Riddle -- New Orleans Baby Cakes (AAA)
                        13. Austin Dean -- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (AA)
                        14. Cody Poteet -- Jupiter Hammerheads (A Adv)
                        15. Albert Guaimaro -- Extended spring camp
                        16. Jordan Holloway -- Greensboro Grasshoppers (A)
                        17. Jeff Brigham -- Extended spring camp -- rehab
                        18. Sam Perez -- Greensboro Grasshoppers (A)
                        19. Tayron Guerrero -- New Orleans Baby Cakes (AAA)
                        20. Roy Morales -- Jupiter Hammerheads (A Adv)
                        21. Sean Reynolds -- Extended spring camp
                        22. Remey Reed -- Extended spring camp -- rehab
                        23. Brett Lilek -- Extended spring camp -- rehab
                        24. Andy Beltre -- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (AA)
                        25. Humberto Mejia -- Extended spring camp
                        26. Justin Twine -- Greensboro Grasshoppers (A)
                        27. John Norwood -- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (AA)
                        28. Tomas Telis -- New Orleans Baby Cakes (AAA)
                        29. Justin Jacome -- Extended spring camp
                        30. Yefri Perez -- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (AA)
                        Last edited by tjfla; 04-04-2017, 09:52 PM.

Comment

NOT my list so no reason to get crazy in responses

BA Midseason list

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...5ttcZGrYDQs.97
                          Last edited by tjfla; 07-25-2017, 09:16 AM.

Comment

oof that is an ugly looking list.

Comment

The biggest problem is that every year for the last 4-5 years (since Yelich reached the majors), the Marlins top listed prospect has been the guy they most recently drafted. That is always a bad indictment on the system.

- - - - - - - - - -

Actually 3 of those guys listed in the top 10 are guys just drafted. Ouch. Also when guys like Richards, King, Poteet, Beggs, etc... don't get mentioned it always makes it apparent how quickly these guys who do the rankings look through the system. Often listing their own idea of "potential" over actual tangible production, and it always leads to guys who are out of baseball in a few years getting listed.

Comment

Working...
                              X