No announcement yet.

Marlins Close To Signing Edinson Volquez to Two Year Deal worth 22 mil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're not getting a #1 or #2 for Ozuna, I don't think. Better off sticking with the current rotation than trading Ozuna and creating another significant hole. Who would replace Ozuna in the OF/lineup?

+ there are rumors that the team might be interested in trading Ramos. Could probably add a SP for him.

Comment

I saw the ESPN rumor about Ramos, although didn't have much detail behind it.

I've said this offseason is the best time to trade Ramos. I don't know if he'll ever have a better season. Add the fact that the value of closer's is at an all-time high thanks to Miller/Chapman and you got yourselves a perfect moment to do something right.

I am also of the belief that Barraclough will make a good closer, so I don't see it as leaving a gaping hole at the end of our bullpen.

There are many routes to go about things, but I would personally use Ozuna/Dietrich/Castillo in a package to acquire that starting pitcher we need, and trade Ramos to put some talent back into the top end of our farm system. The farm could use a couple high end pitching prospects and possibly a legitimate shortstop or third baseman in the minors. I think some bullpen needy playoff teams like Toronto, Texas, and Detroit would be willing to pay a good price to make Ramos their set up man.

Comment

Are we still in the hunt for Kenley Janson?

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
          Yeah, I'm just hoping he's actually going to sell. To me there are a lot of factors pointing that direction, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
          If Loria somehow doesn't take a fair offer for the Marlins, and doesn't sell & then defaults on his payroll to the team, can they take any disciplinary action against him, like taking the franchise away ? Do they only have to compensate him on fair-market value ? And who would be setting that price ?

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
            Are we still in the hunt for Kenley Janson?
            I really fucking hope not.

Also, side note, we better fucking trade Ramos if we can get a quality player/prospect in return.

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
              I really fucking hope not.
              Is that because you think the money it'd take to sign him could be better used elsewhere, or because of the player himself?

Comment

Is that because you think the money it'd take to sign him could be better used elsewhere, or because of the player himself?
                because spending that much money on a closer for a team that has no chance of contending is fucking dumb. Unless the only reason we are signing him is to trade him at the deadline.

Comment

because spending that much money on a closer for a team that has no chance of contending is fucking dumb.
                  This sounds real dumb being the Winter Meetings aren't even here yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
                    If Loria somehow doesn't take a fair offer for the Marlins, and doesn't sell & then defaults on his payroll to the team, can they take any disciplinary action against him, like taking the franchise away ? Do they only have to compensate him on fair-market value ? And who would be setting that price ?
                    Sure, the league could do that, as they did with the Dodgers. The Dodgers were (according to Forbes) valued at $1.4 billion, and were sold for $2 billion in a bidding process (it's said the winning bid was 30% higher than the next bid), so presumably if this were to happen with the Marlins, it could go to a bidding war. The team is currently valued at $675 million, and Loria paid $158 million in 2002 for the team.

I know many teams in the league are now following the pattern of stripping down the team/dumping payroll and completely rebuilding from the ground up (Braves, Phillies, etc), but I like to believe that the league wouldn't allow Loria to do that with the Marlins again.

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                      This sounds real dumb being the Winter Meetings aren't even here yet.
                      True, but realistic as well. I'd actually be interested in a Jason Hammel signing, obviously depending on price. Would be cool with our rotation if we sign one more small vet type arm after that, and that would allow us to keep Ozuna.

Comment

because spending that much money on a closer for a team that has no chance of contending is fucking dumb. Unless the only reason we are signing him is to trade him at the deadline.
                        What would your ideal offseason plan be then? Not arguing with you, just curious? (Forgive me if you've posted something elsewhere, I'm too lazy to look).

Comment

What would your ideal offseason plan be then? Not arguing with you, just curious? (Forgive me if you've posted something elsewhere, I'm too lazy to look).
                          It depends on if Loria is willing to spend money. I think there is some stuff we could do to be a contender, but i have no clue how much money he is willing to spend. I want to keep Ozuna and think its possible if we add a few arms through free agency, but Im not sure if Loria is willing to spend for another free agent. Im ok with our rotation if we sign a guy like Hammel or Fister.

Volquez
                          Conley
                          Chen
                          Hammel/Fister
                          and then choose from Koehler, Phelps, Nicolino, Urena etc.

Its incredibly average, but there is also some potential for that not to be terrible, and our lineup should take a little step up I think.

Comment

True, but realistic as well. I'd actually be interested in a Jason Hammel signing, obviously depending on price. Would be cool with our rotation if we sign one more small vet type arm after that, and that would allow us to keep Ozuna.
                            I'd be open to a Hammel signing.......he's great in the first half but fades in the second half. Might be an interesting project for Benedict....

1st half: 5-4, 2.86 ERA
                            2nd half: 5-3, 5.10 ERA
                            Overall: 10-7, 3.74 ERA; 170.2 IP

1st half: 7-5, 3.46 ERA
                            2nd half: 8-5, 4.35 ERA
                            Overall: 15-10, 3.83 ERA; 166.2 IP

Comment

I'd also be looking at trading a Ramos, Dietrich, or Hech combo of players for a solid starter if possible and then moving Koehler to the back end of the bullpen, where i think he could be very very good.

Comment

It depends on if Loria is willing to spend money. I think there is some stuff we could do to be a contender, but i have no clue how much money he is willing to spend. I want to keep Ozuna and think its possible if we add a few arms through free agency, but Im not sure if Loria is willing to spend for another free agent. Im ok with our rotation if we sign a guy like Hammel or Fister.

Volquez
                                Conley
                                Chen
                                Hammel/Fister
                                and then choose from Koehler, Phelps, Nicolino, Urena etc.

Its incredibly average, but there is also some potential for that not to be terrible, and our lineup should take a little step up I think.
                                Do you add a bench or bullpen guy at all? Or just stick with what we have?

I saw a report today about Jansen and Chapman costing too much for us (which makes sense), but that we could instead be in on the cheaper Melancon, which I wouldn't mind, especially if we're trading Ramos (yeah, I know Barraclough is here, but it'd be nice to have both).

Comment

Working...
                                X