Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With how Fredi left, 0% chance
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Ya, I give it a 0% chance Fredi would settle to be our 3b coach. I think he will get a job somewhere but if he does have to settle for a 3b coach, it wont be here.

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
        Lenny Harris and Reid Cornelius also let go
        FO is listening to Mattingly's input. As for Bonds just read the story-Bonds and Mattingly butted heads. He really didn't want Bonds however kept his mouth shut since Bonds was a Loria hire

As for the turnover,it usually happens when a new manager comes. They want guys they trust NOT guys who are around cause the FO likes them

Comment

ichiro's option exercised.

Comment

we also added another 1/$2M option for 2018
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

love ichiro. Think his impact this year was a bit of an aberration though. At the very least i'd like to see us carry a better, more powerful 5th outfielder for next year and save Ichiro for pinch hitting type opportunities/ spot starts. I'd like to see more power off the bench. Also if i could never see Chris Johnson again that would be super cool too

Comment

Ichiro proved that he is still valuable in the 4th outfielder role and his impact on the team is always a net positive. He wants to play until he's 50 and if he's still any kinda good, why not pay him the $2M to keep him around?

Comment

Yeah in putting together / evaluating this roster and this roster going forward, Ichiro at $2 million is not the problem.

Comment

For 2 million,Ichiro would be a bargain even as a 5th OF. If we had a better 4th option he would probably have alot smaller role next year(leadership,defense,5th OF) however looks very unlikely so is probably 4th again.

Prefer the 4th OF to have some power but as long as he plays solid defense again let him play

Comment

Thats what im saying. Ichiro on the team at all is a blessing. I just think it is short sighted to think he is going to perform to the level he did this past year again. I'd much rather save Ichiro for occasional spot starts and just a clubhouse leader as a 5th OF and sign a 4th OF who can give us more power off the bench and be more suited to come in and play everyday when one of our OF's gets hurt. Ichiro on the team will never be a bad thing, depending on the role you carve out for him.

Comment

There's less of a reason to give Ichiro random "because he's Ichiro" at bats now that he's already gotten 3,000 and Mattingly didn't give in to the 3,000 chase really all that easily (especially since he gave him the Sunday start on get-away day in Colorado rather than holding 3,000 for Miami). He ended the year with 327 AB's. Again, he's not the problem.

The problem is how to rebuild the rotation and get a passable level of offense from the infield - a lot of that can be fixed if Bour stays healthy.

Comment

Hech and platoon for Bour are the only possible upgrades and I think the former is less likely to happen. And again, I don't mind Hech if he's the worst hitter in the lineup, which he should be if everyone is healthy. But if Bour goes down and Scruggs is the replacement...if Stanton goes down and Ichiro/Gillespie is the replacement...that's where the problem is.

Getting a GOOD platoon partner for Bour is imperative, but beyond that the offensive key is fortifying the bench. Most contenders have at least 1-2 guys on the bench who would pass for starters on at least several teams. We don't really have any. We need that kind of guy. You look at the Cubs' bench and most of their guys could start for other teams. So when they sustain an injury, they have a passable starter. Obviously it's difficult to get a bench THAT deep - especially in free agency, because why would a player sign to sit on the bench if he were capable of getting a starting job elsewhere? - so it goes back to scouting and player development. We don't have anyone internally that really projects to be that kind of player so you have to make shrewd trades to get those guys in the system.

Comment

I really think the Marlins should let Bour play every day (or close to it). Finding power for the bench should be priority (and serve as Stanton/Bour injury insurance).

Comment

Dietrich can pass for a starter, Rojas is fine as your defensive MI, Ichiro as your 5th OF, and whatever as your back up C.

If they get a legit RH corner OF/1B to be your 4th OF/RH spot starter/Bour platoon, I think it's hard to complain about the bench. Problem is Ichiro being 4th OFer and a shitty Bour platoon

And that matters no where near as much as how shitty the rotation is

Comment

Matt Holliday? Ryan Raburn?

Comment

Working...
                                X