Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
    Jesus
    Well, we don't have to worry about Chris Johnson returning - he just signed a minor league deal with the Orioles (assuming he makes the team, at least).

---

I just can't see how they can be this naive to think that they can make it without signing another credible bench bat - we've seen year after year half the lineup goes down to injury and there's nobody to step in to the lineup and the team falls apart. It's a matter of when, not if, yet they think it won't happen, and now all the best guys are off the board.
    Last edited by rmc523; 02-13-2017, 08:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
      Barry Jackson is reporting that each of Mike Napoli, Mark Reynolds, and Chris Carter all had interest in coming here....but Hill is convinced Bour can play every day and are taking a "calculated risk" by having a 4 man bench. Perhaps my favorite part....."if" there's an injury, we'll turn back to resign Chris Johnson or Jeff Francouer

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/sp...132326024.html
      Ya every power hitting RHB was interested in coming here because they saw an opportunity. Issue was $. They made offers to guys but nothing close to acceptable. They tried to get someone cheap with the Bour explaination to them all. That Bour would play "everyday" until they were convinced he can't hit lefties( I like the guy but pretty obvious he can't) then they would platoon.

Dont worry we will figure it out by July and trade a few prospects for someone that we could have signed

- - - - - - - - - -

The "solution" is an easy one-Soon as ST starts call Colorado and offer Urena for Reynolds and an arm with options

We won't and Urena will get claimed by SD while Reynolds gets released and signs with someone else

I know Reynolds isnt anything special BUT can play 1B/OF and has some power while Urena is gone anyway.Don't tell Jeff but if u trade,claim or sign a guy that means their rights are yours. No choice except to retire or put on a uniform and play!! Sad part about all of this is if we had actual baseball guys in the FO(See the Cubs) they would do this,instead we are left with Jerry Jones I mean Jeff Loria who can't be bothered by minor issues
      Last edited by tjfla; 02-13-2017, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• Well, hopefully we don't have to deal with him too much longer.

Comment

• I have said this numerous times, but relying on Ichiro to be our 4th OF is a horrifically bad idea. I guess if Dietrich can play LF that is something, but Ichiro is our 4th OF and it is borderline absurd to rely on him to be what he was last year rather than what he was the year before.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
            I have said this numerous times, but relying on Ichiro to be our 4th OF is a horrifically bad idea. I guess if Dietrich can play LF that is something, but Ichiro is our 4th OF and it is borderline absurd to rely on him to be what he was last year rather than what he was the year before.
            Horrifically bad?? Ichiro is actually pretty solid as a 4th OF especially if he plays like LY. 4th OF should be a guy who can play all 3 spots with great defense and either be able to get on base OR show power

We actually have about 5 4th OF-Ichiro,den Dekker,Barnes,Perez,Galloway. The issue is they are pretty much the same guy. Instead of 1 or 2 guys with some power its 4 speed guys

This was the reason everyone was screaming cause while u need depth we signed the same guys who only play the OF,we need a guy who can play 1B and either 3B or the Corner OF spots(Multiple Spots) and can hit LHP since Bour is solid vs Righties

- - - - - - - - - -

Travis Wood to KC for 2 yrs

Would love to see how much he got. He was asking 3/30 and be a SP when we signed Locke for 1/3

Comment

• Wood's deal is 2/$12

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                Ichiro is our 4th OF and it is borderline absurd to rely on him to be what he was last year rather than what he was the year before.
                Wait, what?

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                  Wait, what?
                  He is saying its absurd that a 4th OF is someone who can play all 3 OF spots,great defense and get on base.

Fish16 probably thinks we need a Matt Kemp type as a 4th OF. Massive contract for a guy who hits but nothing more

Comment

• Yeah, I don't have a problem having Ichiro around. The problem is the glaring hole that is the lack of a platoon partner for Bour that everyone but the Marlins front office can see.....not to mention the depth against the inevitable injuries that signing such a platoon partner would create. We'll all be able to say we told them so in a month when someone gets hurt for a month and we have nobody to replace them with.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                      Horrifically bad?? Ichiro is actually pretty solid as a 4th OF especially if he plays like LY. 4th OF should be a guy who can play all 3 spots with great defense and either be able to get on base OR show power

We actually have about 5 4th OF-Ichiro,den Dekker,Barnes,Perez,Galloway. The issue is they are pretty much the same guy. Instead of 1 or 2 guys with some power its 4 speed guys

This was the reason everyone was screaming cause while u need depth we signed the same guys who only play the OF,we need a guy who can play 1B and either 3B or the Corner OF spots(Multiple Spots) and can hit LHP since Bour is solid vs Righties

- - - - - - - - - -

Travis Wood to KC for 2 yrs

Would love to see how much he got. He was asking 3/30 and be a SP when we signed Locke for 1/3
                      Because for me, counting on Ichiro to be the guy he was last year rather than the guy he was the year before is not smart, especially at 40 whatever years old he is now, and it is especially not smart to not sign a power corner outfielder when you have cheaped out on other areas of the team. there are so many quality, bench, 4th OF's who we could have had that would have added depth that we just didnt get. It's putting a lot of pressure on Dietrich and Ichiro to be good. I love Ichiro as a 5th OF, pinch hitter, good OBP, good fielding guy, but is he a guy you want starting everyday when one of our fragile OF's gets injured inevitably? It is horrific and cheap management for him to be our 4th OF and an injury away to be starting every day.

- - - - - - - - - -

As much as i love Ichiro as a 5th OF and great clubhouse presence, his OBP for the past 4 years before last year was .282, .324, .297, .307, and his OPS was .561, .664, .639, .697.

To count on him based off of last year at age 43 is borderline incompetence. Who is our next OF after Ichiro? Dietrich is a guy we can put in LF, but he is not an OF. Ichiro is a great fit as a clubhouse guy and possibly defensive replacement/pinch hitter OBP guy late in games based solely off reputation. But to not sign a 4th OF and count on his .730 OPS and .354 OBP last year while not realizing that his numbers were inflated by his pre all-star break numbers and not realize that he fell off tremendously after the all star break is fucking stupid. It is just setting yourself up to fail. And im pro Ichiro. But with the cheapness of certain 4th OF/RH 1b guys on the market, you will soon enough see how much we fucked up by not adding someone else in free agency.

Just as a hypothetical, in the inevitable injury to one of our OF guys, Ichiro is now a black hole in our lineup everyday, and as if that wasnt bad enough, who becomes our 4th OF in that scenario? Yefri Perez?

It's just poor depth management yet again, and it is inevitable that it will yet again be our down fall if, and in the likely event, that one of our OF's misses substantial time. It is such an easily correctable mistake and it is a mistake we make every year. I understand that no team can replace a star player. But the good teams have quality depth based not only on better player development than we invest in, but better free agent investment that we do not invest in. I will do some research into the guys who have gotten substantial AB's when it is an easily correctable mistake with better scouting, player development, and free agent spending.

And i know im not breaking any news, but it is just so frustrating year after year. And that is why a new owner will be such a welcomed change. Fuck Jeffrey Loria. He's the worst owner in professional sports. A guy who cares about winning to the point where he will interject his incompetent opinion yearly, but will not interject his money ever.

Comment

• Massive news!!! Facial Hair is Back!! The team still isn't great but atleast now they can grow facial hair. Telling u Jeff has stopped caring more than usual-2 more years

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...an-facial-hair

Now only if Don Mattingly and the Miami Marlins could lift the ban on being cheap.
                        Last edited by tjfla; 02-14-2017, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• Oh good, that means we can trade for Cashner again!

Comment

• I'm completely late on this, but the decision to not sign Chris Carter for $3 million doesn't add up, especially since I imagine Greg Bird is the starter for the Yankees, so it isn't like he turned down the Marlins because he was getting a starting job.

Carter OPS'ed somewhere in the vicinity of .875 against LHP last season and has consistently hit better against lefties than righties throughout his MLB career. Justin Bour struggled to OPS over .750 throughout his MINOR league career.

I don't think it makes a huge difference at the end of the season, but the difference between Carter vs LHP and Bour could turn out to be around a win or two. If the team expects to compete that is a significant difference worth $3 million.

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post
                              I'm completely late on this, but the decision to not sign Chris Carter for $3 million doesn't add up, especially since I imagine Greg Bird is the starter for the Yankees, so it isn't like he turned down the Marlins because he was getting a starting job.

Carter OPS'ed somewhere in the vicinity of .875 against LHP last season and has consistently hit better against lefties than righties throughout his MLB career. Justin Bour struggled to OPS over .750 throughout his MINOR league career.

I don't think it makes a huge difference at the end of the season, but the difference between Carter vs LHP and Bour could turn out to be around a win or two. If the team expects to compete that is a significant difference worth $3 million.
                              Not starting job but tons of AB's. The thing is with an AL team he can be the DH. If he signed with us,he would have played against LHP and more when the Big Hurt or Bour went out. So likely went with get tons more AB's hit alot of HR and get back on the market next year when he hits 30+

Comment

• Thought Judge was DH'ing, I'm guessing he's starting in the outfield then

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X