No announcement yet.

Miami Marlins 2016 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The White Sox have requested release waivers on Brett Lawrie. He's got a $3.5M salary, and has primarily played 2nd and 3rd, but I wonder if he'd be an interesting platoon option for Bour?

Comment

• More from Barry Jackson article on Sat

• My biggest on-field question of the offseason, beyond the curious decision to go with 13 relievers and just four bench players:

Why didn’t the Marlins sign one of the decent remaining free agent pitchers in February, such as Travis Wood or Jason Hammel (both now off the market), instead of trading one of their top prospects (Luis Castillo) and two others for Dan Straily?

“It’s just the control,” Marlins executive Michael Hill explained. “With Straily, we’ve got four years of control [before free agency]. He’s a pre-arbitration player. When we compared them apples to apples in terms of ability, we felt he was the best.”

• Toughest Marlins decision this spring: What to do with Jose Urena (5-14, 5.76 ERA), who’s out of minor league options. He has allowed two runs in three spring innings.

“If he’s productive, which we think he can be, he’ll be on the team,” Hill said. “If he doesn’t perform, then we ran out of time and there’s somebody better than him. If he doesn’t make our club, there will definitely be a trade market. Teams have asked about him.”
      Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/sp...#storylink=cpy

Comment

• Heaney Hurt
        Desco Hurt
        Cashner Hurt

I guess OK decisions in the long run

Also Locke will likely start on the DL which means Urena has a spot

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
          Heaney Hurt
          Desco Hurt
          Cashner Hurt

I guess OK decisions in the long run

Also Locke will likely start on the DL which means Urena has a spot
          That doesnt at all make those decisions OK in the long run. Heaney wasnt one of those move thought of as terrible anyway. Ended up with dee.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
            That doesnt at all make those decisions OK in the long run. Heaney wasnt one of those move thought of as terrible anyway. Ended up with dee.
            O i agree(dont say too much tho on this board) they still dont like the deal. All I am saying is all are hurt

By way how are your Rays doing? Havent seen u much on here HAHA

Comment

O i agree(dont say too much tho on this board) they still dont like the deal. All I am saying is all are hurt

By way how are your Rays doing? Havent seen u much on here HAHA
              Not sure why they are "my" rays. Im a marlins fan. If you are referring to when i have the gall to complement other teams when they properly value other players and know when to buy low and sell high as compared to watching the marlins front office as a fan, not sure how you can say im wrong. I havent been on here cause it's the offseason and im in law school.

Comment

Not sure why they are "my" rays. Im a marlins fan. If you are referring to when i have the gall to complement other teams when they properly value other players and know when to buy low and sell high as compared to watching the marlins front office as a fan, not sure how you can say im wrong. I havent been on here cause it's the offseason and im in law school.
                I think his point was because weren't you a while back saying you were going to become a Rays fan because of our incompetent front office?

Comment

U come back when Jeff sells. U can lead the bandwagon of guys.

Well u seem to complain about anything they do so. Try to spend cash and its terrible to lose a 1st Rd Pick. Try to not spend cash and its terrible not to increase salary. Like said go cheer the Rays for 2 years and come back in 2019

- - - - - - - - - -

By way has anyone noticed what SD has done in the past year. They have spent 75 Million on IFA!!! On top of making some nice trades for prospects

Doubt u can do it anymore but just shows how fast u can rebuild a farm system if willing to spend cash and invest in the future

Comment

U come back when Jeff sells. U can lead the bandwagon of guys.

Well u seem to complain about anything they do so. Try to spend cash and its terrible to lose a 1st Rd Pick. Try to not spend cash and its terrible not to increase salary. Like said go cheer the Rays for 2 years and come back in 2019

- - - - - - - - - -

By way has anyone noticed what SD has done in the past year. They have spent 75 Million on IFA!!! On top of making some nice trades for prospects

Doubt u can do it anymore but just shows how fast u can rebuild a farm system if willing to spend cash and invest in the future
                    So because i actively talk about just how bad and unbelievably incompetent this ownership and front office is whenever they pull a typical move, im somehow not a fan and will become a bandwagon when they win again? I can be a fan of the team and be realistic about just how much of a joke this franchise is nationally in so many ways. Shall i just blindly praise every move or not talk about how bad this ownership and front office is from so many perspectives? Being a fan doesnt entail blindly praising a clearly horrifically run organization. That doesnt make me any less of a fan or make me not want this team to make the playoffs every year.

If I have praised the rays like you say, its because they are a much better model in so many ways as a small market team. Doesnt mean they will be a great team every year, but they at the very least have a plan and a team building philosophy that resembles their situation as a small market low payroll team. The marlins are clearly a small market organization with no plan and a team direction that is based on how Loria feels that week. There is no situational awareness (as far as buying high or selling low) or plan, and we havent made the playoffs or even be close really in 15 years. God forbid i be negative about that!

Comment

• The Orioles released Chris Johnson. Now we await his inevitable signing, especially with Prado out.

Comment

So because i actively talk about just how bad and unbelievably incompetent this ownership and front office is whenever they pull a typical move, im somehow not a fan and will become a bandwagon when they win again? I can be a fan of the team and be realistic about just how much of a joke this franchise is nationally in so many ways. Shall i just blindly praise every move or not talk about how bad this ownership and front office is from so many perspectives? Being a fan doesnt entail blindly praising a clearly horrifically run organization. That doesnt make me any less of a fan or make me not want this team to make the playoffs every year.

If I have praised the rays like you say, its because they are a much better model in so many ways as a small market team. Doesnt mean they will be a great team every year, but they at the very least have a plan and a team building philosophy that resembles their situation as a small market low payroll team. The marlins are clearly a small market organization with no plan and a team direction that is based on how Loria feels that week. There is no situational awareness (as far as buying high or selling low) or plan, and we havent made the playoffs or even be close really in 15 years. God forbid i be negative about that!
                        No but u seem u would like Tampa alot better. They resign/extend guys for cheap,if they can't afford a guy they cut bait and trade them at the highest level,build thru the draft and IFA. I wish I could become a Rays fan because I am sick of Jeff but I can't. Fish fan that has realized until he leaves this is the team-cheap who will never have a minor league system but wants to win(even tho the guys who make the decisions have no clue about talent)

Like said we try to sign a Top Closer and your reaction is well don't cause we would lose a 1st Rd pick. We don't sign Napoli for 10 million and your reaction is we should have offered more for a guy to platoon at 1B and sit on the bench until we play an AL team. If u were a Tampa fan u would never have to worry about that kinda stuff cause they arent spending 80 million on a closer or 10 million on a bat unless they are extending someone

There is a plan and team direction-2 years Jeff is gone and he wants to win in the next 2 years. After that he don't give a crap about us. So my suggestion was in 2019 come back and u can lead the Marlins bandwagon. U shouldnt have to worry about cheap or no direction then

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                          The Orioles released Chris Johnson. Now we await his inevitable signing, especially with Prado out.

I thought the exact same thing.

Chris Johnson: not good enough in any capacity for the Orioles organization but good enough to be in the Marlins Opening Day starting line up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                            I thought the exact same thing.

Chris Johnson: not good enough in any capacity for the Orioles organization but good enough to be in the Marlins Opening Day starting line up.
                            Gotta have that veteran presence on the bench!!! And they'll try to sell it as their big "impact bat" signing everyone has been clamoring for...

Comment

• Lots of "impact" bats out there

CJ,Lawrie,Coghlan

Telling u don't be suprised to see Wittgren down,Tyler Moore and Ramon Cabrera(Rojas at 3B and JT at 1B more) making the team with Esch,Nola DFA OR Despaigne on 60 Day

12 arms until Prado comes back then Moore DFA with another RP coming up. Then 13 arms and 4 guys on bench with JT getting alot of work at 1B.
                              Last edited by tjfla; 03-28-2017, 02:21 PM.

Comment

No but u seem u would like Tampa alot better. They resign/extend guys for cheap,if they can't afford a guy they cut bait and trade them at the highest level,build thru the draft and IFA. I wish I could become a Rays fan because I am sick of Jeff but I can't. Fish fan that has realized until he leaves this is the team-cheap who will never have a minor league system but wants to win(even tho the guys who make the decisions have no clue about talent)

Like said we try to sign a Top Closer and your reaction is well don't cause we would lose a 1st Rd pick. We don't sign Napoli for 10 million and your reaction is we should have offered more for a guy to platoon at 1B and sit on the bench until we play an AL team. If u were a Tampa fan u would never have to worry about that kinda stuff cause they arent spending 80 million on a closer or 10 million on a bat unless they are extending someone

There is a plan and team direction-2 years Jeff is gone and he wants to win in the next 2 years. After that he don't give a crap about us. So my suggestion was in 2019 come back and u can lead the Marlins bandwagon. U shouldnt have to worry about cheap or no direction then
                                I would like the way Tampa runs their team better, but im not a bandwagon fan and have no ability to change my allegiances at the whim. But I can admire the way a team in similar financial constraints runs their team in a much better way to fit those constraints.

My reaction to the closer thing was because of the team's continual showing of a lack of knowledge of market inefficiencies. I would love to have a dominant closer. Jansen or Chapman or Miller is a great fit on any team. Giving up a first round pick for a guy who will pitch 70-80 innings a year, however, to me is a generally horrible investment no matter how good they are. But especially for a team in our financial situation and our current crop of prospects. This teams continued, for lack of a better phrase, inability to get "it", in regards to market inefficiencies is the one thing that I think drives me the most insane. A team with financial constraints should be looking at platoon guys as much as possible and relievers should be one of the last priorities, yet it seems to me that the opposite is the case with us, and that is bothersome.

I said this back when we were considering Chapman, but i would be super OK with even a completely out of the box idea like turning Miller or Chapman into starters like they used to be and seeing if we can fill the hole left by Jose in that way. Even if that fails, which i honestly dont think it would and has the chance to be a great value deal if they get signed to a closers contract, I would be OK with seeing them realizing the relative value of closers in relation to starting pitchers. But that is off topic and a discussion for another day.

I was willing to sign Napoli because he wouldnt require a pick, is a great platoon guy for Bour, and is exactly the type of power run producing bat this team needs. Those 2 can be mutually exclusive. It wasnt about the money for the closer, it was about the pick.

There is a plan in the sense of every team wants to win the world series. There is no plan as to how they want to accomplish that plan. Or at the very least that plan changes with the way the wind blows on Loria.

I get you dont like my negativeness and i get that this will not change under Loria, but you also must get that I will not simply accept his consistent cheapness among 10's of other issues that make him the worst owner in sports and not comment every time his horrific ownership style rears its ugly head.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                                Lots of "impact" bats out there

CJ,Lawrie,Coghlan

Telling u don't be suprised to see Wittgren down,Tyler Moore and Ramon Cabrera(Rojas at 3B and JT at 1B more) making the team with Esch,Nola DFA OR Despaigne on 60 Day

12 arms until Prado comes back then Moore DFA with another RP coming up. Then 13 arms and 4 guys on bench with JT getting alot of work at 1B.
                                Why Cabrera and not Telis if that was the case? I think it will be a fairly simple cut period like i made in my post a few days ago. there is one roster spot available, Ellington has already been sent down, and unless they really dont want to keep Urena, it will be him and Wittgren getting the 2 bullpen spots and one nobody AAAA filler who will be DFA 5 days after the season starts when Prado comes back.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also really like the move of Nicolino in AAA rather than being our long reliever. I think he is going to end up being a very useful SP at some point for us this year. Im high on him as that kind of back of the rotation guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X