No announcement yet.

Miami Marlins 2016 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt Holliday would definitely be cool, though Raburn probably makes more since since he's been a career bench bat and has IF experience

- - - - - - - - - -

Also just noticed Grant Dayton finished the year with a 2.05 ERA/2.96 FIP after putting up great numbers throughout his minor league career here.

Dude we traded him for didn't pitch in the majors at all and we have had no good LH RP. And of course the whole brad hand thing.

amazing stuff

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
      Matt Holliday would definitely be cool, though Raburn probably makes more since since he's been a career bench bat and has IF experience

- - - - - - - - - -

Also just noticed Grant Dayton finished the year with a 2.05 ERA/2.96 FIP after putting up great numbers throughout his minor league career here.

Dude we traded him for didn't pitch in the majors at all and we have had no good LH RP. And of course the whole brad hand thing.

amazing stuff
      Hand,Dayton,Jennings,Ege all elsewhere and we still have Mike Dunn(yep talk is they want him back). O wait after given those 4 away for nothing we did trade for Cervenka(Overpaid for)

Comment

Mike Dunn's been perfectly fine for us.

Comment

Nick is right. Dunn has a career 2.1 WAR as a Marlin.

Comment

FERNANDEZ NOTE

•Though agent Scott Boras could have justified the decision at the time, it was unfortunate, in retrospect, that he rejected the Marlins’ four-year, $40 million offer to Jose Fernandez when he was recovering from Tommy John surgery.

According to an MLB official, Fernandez’s family would have gotten that money if he had signed that contract before his fatal boating accident.

An associate said even though Fernandez liked and respected Boras, he wanted to stay in Miami longterm and was considering taking meetings with other agents, concerned that Boras might not be able to strike a longterm deal with Miami.

He was due to become a free agent in 2018.

Boras has done some business with Miami, including a contract for pitcher Wei Yin Chen, but he also has had conflict with the Marlins’ front office, including their decision to send Marcell Ozuna to the minors for 5 1/2 weeks in 2015, a move which delayed his arbitration eligibility.

That source wasn’t sure Fernandez would have ever left Boras, because of their strong relationship. The point, though, is that Fernandez wanted to see if there was a way he could stay in Miami.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/sp...#storylink=cpy
            Just another sad footnote. Wonder if this starts a short term trend of more players accepting the money though.

Comment

Seems odd from a Marlins stand-point, that we would've offered only a four-year deal when he wasn't due to be a free agent until 2018. Thus only getting one extra year out of him.

- - - - - - - - - -

Or did that mean after 2018? Meaning we wouldn't have gotten any extra years with that deal?

Comment

My guess is the Marlins offered a similar deal to the below and the reporter is just mentioning the guaranteed part:

5 years/$38.5M (2015-19), plus 2020-21 club options $0.601M (2015)
                signed extension with Cleveland 4/5/15, replacing one-year deal for $0.601M signed 3/11/15
                $1M signing bonus
                15:$1M, 16:$4.5M, 17:$7.5M, 18:$10.5M, 19:$13M, 20:$13.5M club option ($1M buyout), 21:$14M club option ($1M buyout)
                value of options may increase up to $4M each based on finish in 2015-19 Cy Young votes

Neither here nor there, just really sad financially also.

Comment

Still doesn't seem real to me.

Comment

Can we fire anyone who was involved in the development of Andrew Miller while he was here?

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                      Seems odd from a Marlins stand-point, that we would've offered only a four-year deal when he wasn't due to be a free agent until 2018. Thus only getting one extra year out of him.

- - - - - - - - - -

Or did that mean after 2018? Meaning we wouldn't have gotten any extra years with that deal?
                      I remember reading somewhere - I think maybe Misch on Twitter - that the Marlins realized that Boras wouldn't let them buy more than one FA year so the 4 year thing kind of makes sense.

Comment

Since we've been willing to spend on mediocre SP's in the past, would it make sense to spend money on a Kenley Jansen or Aroldis Chapman this offseason and have a team of super relievers? It works in the playoffs, although I'm not sure if that strategy would hold up for an entire season.

Either way, if the team decides to use its staff traditionally next year, we will probably have one of the worst ERA's in baseball. Our starting rotation is bad and there is no help on the way.

Comment

Hell, try something radical. Spend money on bullpen like you said. Stretch out guys like McGowan, Dunn, Urena/Nicolino, so you can consistently get 2 innings out of them, and go with a 4-man rotation (Conley/Phelps/Chen/Koehler), get 4-5 innings max out of them a game. Then backload the end of the bullpen with studs, Chapman/Melancon/Janson, Bearclaw, Ramos, Ellington.

We're screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                            Can we fire anyone who was involved in the development of Andrew Miller while he was here?

I'd love to see him win World Series MVP.

Comment

I'm all about turning Andrew Miller or Chapman back into starters. Sign them for a closer type deal and start them. You might be able to get a bargain when all is said and done because the market for top notch closers is less than starters.

Comment

Turning Miller or Chapman into starters just sounds like an awful idea. It would involve paying top dollar and taking what somebody does great and going completely against it. Won't happen.

My stance is sign Doug Fister (he had a 3.60 ERA before an implosion in September, killing his value and making him affordable), try to sign one of either Jake Peavy, Jorge De La Rosa, or R.A. Dickey (get Gio Gonzalez and ignore these three if Nats inexplicably turn down his option), turn Marcel Ozuna, AJ Ramos, Tomas Telis, Tom Koehler, Derek Dietrich, and maybe Hech into trade pieces to acquire a possible #2 or #3 starter, make Barraclough the closer with David Phelps as a contigency with Wittgren/Ellington behind, and sign Austin Jackson (cheap signing) or either Brandon Moss/Josh Reddick (I'd prefer Reddick) to a relatively big money offer.

There'd have to be a lot of movement going on, but I'd like to see a team like this going into 2017

C: Realmuto
                                1B: Bour
                                2B: Gordon
                                SS: Rojas (I'd let him start a full season over Hech at this rate despite his own flaws)
                                3B: Prado
                                LF: Reddick
                                CF: Yelich
                                RF: Stanton

Starting Rotation:
                                Wei Yin Chen
                                Doug Fister
                                ???? (new starter signed from Peavy/De La Rosa/Dickey/Gonzalez)
                                Adam Conley
                                ??? (Starter acquired in trade of either Ozuna or Ramos)

Austin Brice/Jose Urena/Justin Nicolino/etc... available if injuries or underperformance occur.

Bullpen:
                                CP: Kyle Barraclough
                                Setup: David Phelps
                                RP: Wittgren, Ellington, Reed, Dunn, guys who don't make it as starters and random signings

I'd likely have Phelps start the year in the rotation and move to the setup role he's more natural to play by June (this is if we go Chen/Conley/Koehler/Phelps/whoever). I also feel Brice could win a starting rotation spot similar to how Conley did it this year.

Obviously I don't know if this is a winning team, but it would be my template going into this offseason. Ozuna/Ramos are prime trade pieces along with Telis and Dietrich. If the team wants to keep Koehler in the rotation that's fine. He's probably more value to us than in a trade anyway.

- - - - - - - - - -

Hell given the value of closers these days if Ramos could get us both a starter and a new starting shortstop that would be the best thing ever.

Comment

Working...
                                X