Miami Marlins 2016 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
    D-backs signed Jeff Mathis to a 2 year, $4M contract, so he won't be back.
    Looks like 95% of the boards wish finally came true. Gonna be fun to hear wish Mathis was still around

At least Telis Fan Club will be happy. Semi happy-they seem to want him to get the start over JT

Comment

• Miami Marlins 2016 Offseason Discussion Thread

Not one of them but, to be fair, JT is a really bad catcher

Terrible pitch framer (4th worst in baseball, cost us 120 strikes) and doesn't seem to call a very good game either

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
        Not one of them but, to be fair, JT is a really bad catcher

Terrible pitch framer (4th worst in baseball, cost us 120 strikes) and doesn't seem to call a very good game either
        Well on the bright side if we ever get rid of umpires and go to an automated strike zone (which should be done), we have a much more valuable player in Realmuto. But back to reality, I hope we go after Wellington Castillo as our backup C, and maybe see if he could try to play 1b against lefties or something like that. IF you guys couldnt tell from my consistent insistence of finding a 1b who mashes lefties, I really think one of our top offensive priorities needs to be finding a platoon guy to match with Bour at 1b.

Comment

• Carlos Beltran to the astros for 16 million over 1 year. The amount of money he has made playing baseball is absolutely insane. And he looks like he could play for another 2-3 years making a pretty good amount too. Unreal career.

On the astros side of things, I am on the fence between loving what theyve done this offseason and feeling like they have a chance to be terrible next year if things break the wrong way. But at least they are going for it.

Comment

• Signed Matt den Dekker to minor league deal

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
              Carlos Beltran to the astros for 16 million over 1 year. The amount of money he has made playing baseball is absolutely insane. And he looks like he could play for another 2-3 years making a pretty good amount too. Unreal career.

On the astros side of things, I am on the fence between loving what theyve done this offseason and feeling like they have a chance to be terrible next year if things break the wrong way. But at least they are going for it.

How do we know they're going for it?

Comment

• Damn good defensive outfielder, shame he can't hit

Comment

• Yeah he's classic all field no hit. .607 OPS in AAA last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                    How do we know they're going for it?
                    Spent money/prospects to acquire 3 good veteran bats

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                      Spent money/prospects to acquire 3 good veteran bats
                      Sorry. I thought you were talking about the Marlins. I skimmed your post.

Comment

• Gator great Matt den Dekker!!!
                        Originally posted by Madman81
                        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• I'd like us to go after Chris Carter to platoon at 1st. Also Tyson Ross could be interesting if he is healthy.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
                            I'm not thrilled about it at all, definitely wanted him back

Gonna be even more annoyed when we sign some other catcher and keep Telis in AAA
                            Joe Frisaro is saying we're looking at Geovany Soto and Dioner Navarro as backups. What's the point of having Telis if we're never going to use him?

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                            Signed Matt den Dekker to minor league deal
                            I went to high school with den Dekker.

Comment

• I mean, Telis really isn't all that good. He's bad defensively and has a career MILB OPS of .733. He's nothing but an empty average offensively. I really don't understand what people see in him.

Lot more so why did we trade Sam Dyson for him and a lefty reliever that throws under 85 MPH

Comment

• Telis has shown that his contact ability is sustainable, which will very likely mean he can keep a low to mid .700 OPS in the majors. Among MLB catchers with 300+ AB's, there were 16 catchers with an OPS above .700.

I'm not calling Telis a star or even a top end starter. But I think the numbers do indicate that Telis could be successful and has value in the league given the position he plays. A decent hitting catcher is hard to find. Add the fact that out of all catchers in the majors, there were literally two with 300+ AB's and an OPS over .700. J.T. Realmuto, and Tucker Barnhart.

The fact that Telis is a catcher, 25 years old, and controllable while being able to show any semblance of a hitting talent makes him a valuable player. If the Marlins front office doesn't see that then they're wasting what should be a legitimate trade chip.

I think it's hard to explain to people how rare a player Realmuto is in today's baseball.

Comment

Working...
                                X