Miami Marlins 2016 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
    So who would be our center or left fielder assuming an Ozuna trade if they're going to wait until the other OF guys sign to trade him? I like the idea of trading him for a starter that we need, but my 'plan' would including signing one of the FA outfielders to replace his bat.
    Well I know they want a ML ready OF in deal. Name in St Louis was Tommy Pham but what they want is pitching really. They arent looking to trade Ozuna for a project and a good bat. THey want a good solid controllable arm and a project

In LF u could go with DD/Pham(Platoon?),sign a Dexter Fowler or sign a guy who can play 1B/Corner OF like Plouffe? Mattingly loves Yelich in CF so

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      Well I know they want a ML ready OF in deal. Name in St Louis was Tommy Pham but what they want is pitching really. They arent looking to trade Ozuna for a project and a good bat. THey want a good solid controllable arm and a project

In LF u could go with DD/Pham(Platoon?),sign a Dexter Fowler or sign a guy who can play 1B/Corner OF like Plouffe? Mattingly loves Yelich in CF so
      I thought the point in trading Ozuna would be to acquire pitching though. Otherwise, I don't see a point in trading him.

I forgot about DD.....guess I was figuring he'd be included in a deal for a pitcher as well (either with Ozuna or a separate deal).

Production-wise, Cespedes would obviously be most similar to Ozuna as a replacement, but he's out of our price range. I wouldn't mind Fowler....he's a different type of production (more on-base oriented), but he'd add to the lineup.

Comment

• Why can i imagine Ozuna taking a huge step up if he winds up in St. Louis

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
          I thought the point in trading Ozuna would be to acquire pitching though. Otherwise, I don't see a point in trading him.

I forgot about DD.....guess I was figuring he'd be included in a deal for a pitcher as well (either with Ozuna or a separate deal).

Production-wise, Cespedes would obviously be most similar to Ozuna as a replacement, but he's out of our price range. I wouldn't mind Fowler....he's a different type of production (more on-base oriented), but he'd add to the lineup.
          That is the point. They want a project/AAA OF in the deal too. Looking for a young controllable arm and a bat(prefer OF) in Ozuna deal. U can play DD in LF and look for a right handed bat that can play the corners and 1B. Trevor Plouffe would have made sense but he will probably want 5 mil or more

- - - - - - - - - -

Sean Rodriguez to Braves. 2 yr 11.5 mil.

Rebuilding team who is tanking spends money while team who wants to contend is looking for change in the cushions of building the Loria's office is in!!!

Must be nice to spend 5 million on a guy who is proven instead of signing 5 AAAA guys and hoping one of them can do something then when u figure out they can't trade prospects for someone
          Last edited by tjfla; 11-24-2016, 01:23 PM.

Comment

• Unreal. Exactly what I thought he would get and we didn't splurge on it. He would have been an incredible fit.
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• I like Rodriguez and he would have been an alright platoon guy, but 5.5 million for us for a bench guy is kind of a lot. Shouldnt be, but for us it is. We have so few assets its going to be impossible to do much this offseason, both money wise, major league talent wise, and farm system talent wise. We just have so little to work with. And it is partially because of Jose, but so much more because of how terrible we have been at just everything for so long now.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                I like Rodriguez and he would have been an alright platoon guy, but 5.5 million for us for a bench guy is kind of a lot. Shouldnt be, but for us it is. We have so few assets its going to be impossible to do much this offseason, both money wise, major league talent wise, and farm system talent wise. We just have so little to work with. And it is partially because of Jose, but so much more because of how terrible we have been at just everything for so long now.
                Bench guy who can play like 8 spots. What makes it sting is we will likely give Mike Dunn a 4 or 5 million a year deal even tho we have-Cervenka/Araujo in ML Lobstein,Thielbar,Garces,Lazo plus more in AAA. Nothing great but I would rather give a guy like Rodriguez and find another LRP then to have Dunn

Comment

Bench guy who can play like 8 spots. What makes it sting is we will likely give Mike Dunn a 4 or 5 million a year deal even tho we have-Cervenka/Araujo in ML Lobstein,Thielbar,Garces,Lazo plus more in AAA. Nothing great but I would rather give a guy like Rodriguez and find another LRP then to have Dunn
                  trust me, if you've ever seen me post about mike dunn, we are 100% on the same page. Can't stand him.

Comment

Potential major league players go who do NOT need to be gone either. Flores and Scruggs were outrighted off the 40 man and we have 5 spots open. Ege was added to the 40 man when he didn't need to be. Woods,Smolinski,Adduci gone

Alot of teams take advantage of the 6 yr FA thing. The guy stays in the system no matter what happens. With us,1 screw up and gone. Don't produce as a 19 yr old in Jupiter and gone. My favorite tho is sign as a 17 yr old(IFA/HS) and get rid of by 19-replace him with a 27 yr old??
                    I mean, if guys were out righted that means no other team views that player worthy of a 40 man spot...

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
                      I mean, if guys were out righted that means no other team views that player worthy of a 40 man spot...
                      Well Flores is on the Cards 40 man so worthy of a spot. They outrighted him off the 40 and he countered with electing FA instead of staying.

Comment

Well Flores is on the Cards 40 man so worthy of a spot. They outrighted him off the 40 and he countered with electing FA instead of staying.
                        He isn't on their 40 man roster. His name appears there with 2 asterisks which denotes that he isn't on the 40 man roster. It looks like the minor league players they have signed are listed with their 40 man but aren't on it.

Comment

• Alex Jackson was dealt to Atlanta

Surprised we didn't take a shot on him-he has been a massive bust but we considered him at #2.

Comment

• The New CBA talks are funny as hell. The owners are dying to be able to spend more cash by getting rid of the IFA pools,not losing draft picks when signing FA anymore and instead of giving money away to other teams use it to improve theirs

I guess Jeff doesn't need to be included since we don't do any of that stuff anyways. They tried to help the smaller market teams and instead of improving their teams(KC and SD might have been the only ones who tried) they pocketed the cash. Should be interesting to see how the smaller markets do now when they can get outbid on everything

Comment

• $5m hard cap for IFA now.

Comment

• I would assume that helps us a lot, no?

Comment

Working...
                                X