Miami Marlins 2016 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    Because he costs like 3 or 4 million and wasnt lights out. We got Ramos,Phelps,Wittgren,Ellington,Bearclaw with others just waiting in AAA.(Steckenrider,Ogando)

Any contending team would likely keep him around for that price. Nothing new for us tho-we get rid of higher salary in the pen and then let 3 or 4 minor league FA battle it out every year(McGowan,Qualls)
    im pretty sure i read the option was for 2 million. we are a major league fucking franchise. We do this every year. We almost always start the year with like 3 guys who shouldnt be in the majors. This past year it was Mcgowan, Breslow, and Narveson. And it cost us games in April. A reliever who, like him or not, has shown in his career that he has high upside even though he is unpredictable, for 2 million is not something that should be declined.

Comment

• The Rodney option was actually closer to $5 million after incentives he reached. That combined with how much he sucked here is why he was let go.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
        im pretty sure i read the option was for 2 million. we are a major league fucking franchise. We do this every year. We almost always start the year with like 3 guys who shouldnt be in the majors. This past year it was Mcgowan, Breslow, and Narveson. And it cost us games in April. A reliever who, like him or not, has shown in his career that he has high upside even though he is unpredictable, for 2 million is not something that should be declined.
        I think the base option was $2 million, but incentives in the contract bumped the option up to $4.5 million or something like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
          I think the base option was $2 million, but incentives in the contract bumped the option up to $4.5 million or something like that.
          OK that is a little different but still, we are so fucking cheap. we could have always just cut him if he sucked in ST.

Comment

• so your plan was to bring back a guy who sucked for $4.5m and then possibly cut him in spring training, thus totally throwing that money away

Comment

• Not that it was gonna happen anyway, but we can remove Hellickson from the big board. Accepted the QO from the Phillies, which is hilarious

Comment

• The qualifying offer is ridiculous this year. Hell if I was a pitcher who was a mid 4, high 5 ERA pitcher most of my career and can now make $17 million you bet your ass I'd do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
                  so your plan was to bring back a guy who sucked for $4.5m and then possibly cut him in spring training, thus totally throwing that money away
                  If the base option was 2 million then no, I would bring back a guy who sucked for 2 million and then possibly cut him in spring training, or possibly make him our closer if he performed like he did in the first half of last year and several times throughout his career.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by dim View Post
                  The qualifying offer is ridiculous this year. Hell if I was a pitcher who was a mid 4, high 5 ERA pitcher most of my career and can now make $17 million you bet your ass I'd do it.
                  Ya, I didnt get why they did not trade him at the deadline. He is a fairly average pitcher.

Comment

• wtf are our minor league teams doing? New Orleans just changed their team name to the baby cakes.

Comment

wtf are our minor league teams doing? New Orleans just changed their team name to the baby cakes.
                      Gotta make that $$$

- - - - - - - - - -

Some offseason notes

Seems Jeff Mathis is a hot name on the C market so the Tomas Telis Fan Club might be seeing him next year but more likely is we sign a defensive C IF we can't resign Mathis

We have been talking to LAA about Skaggs and Shoemaker. Trying to put together something around DD and Urena or other arms

Also suprised no one has posted about Chris Sale yet but don't look for us to be in on him. They want arms in high end arms in return plus more

Comment

• I expected the team to bring back Mathis and use Telis as a trade chip. As much as Mathis sucks as a hitter he does have value with his defense and pitcher management. Plus Realmuto is expected to be the long term solution and get the vast majority of starts anyway. As much as I believe Telis could become a good MLB starter there's no reason to waste him when the team right now believes Realmuto is the guy.

Tyler Skaggs isn't a terrible solution, although it does fit the Marlins model of grabbing pitchers who give up a lot of baserunners. His strikeout numbers are promising and he was very successful early in his minor league career. I'd give up Urena and a smaller prospect to get Skaggs. Wouldn't trade Dietrich for him since DD was worth far more as a player in 2016 than Skaggs.

Shoemaker is an excellent player to look towards getting. He's in what should be the prime of his career and is cheap for 2016 before reaching arbitration dollars. The Angels also just traded Howie Kendrick to the Phillies, so I have to believe they'd have interest in Dietrich. A straight up Shoemaker for Dietrich makes sense for both teams, although I'd expect the Marlins would have to throw in an extra prospect to get such a deal done. Either way I think that kind of deal would be a positive move for the team.

Comment

• The marlins should have gone after Danny Valencia. This team continues to show they dont know how to operate on the margins as a low budget team. Last 3 years has an OPS of .866 against lefties and can play 1b, 3b (not well), and LF. Didnt cost much either.

- - - - - - - - - -

Skaggs would be a solid little addition that I would like, however, not sure for Dietrich though. I'd do Urena plus another prospect for him, then combine Dietrich and Ozuna for a SP, then sign a high risk high reward OF in free agency to replace Ozuna. The thing is that none of this is going to amount to much now that Jose is gone, which really fucking sucks.

- - - - - - - - - -

Reddick or maybe (very maybe) Carlos Gomez while combining Ozuna and Dietrich in a trade for a higher level SP would be a very good offseason to me. I dont think the indians would do it, but they kind of do need another OF bat, so if they made available Carrasco or Salazar we could revisit that deal with them in the offseason.

Realmuto
                          Bour/Platoon
                          Gordon
                          Hech (hopefully not, my least favorite player but the team loves him)
                          Prado
                          Gomez/Reddick
                          Yelich
                          Stanton

With a rotation of
                          Salazar/Carrasco
                          Conley
                          Chen
                          Skaggs
                          Nicolino/Urena/Koehler etc.

Not good, but not terrible.

Comment

The marlins should have gone after Danny Valencia. This team continues to show they dont know how to operate on the margins as a low budget team. Last 3 years has an OPS of .866 against lefties and can play 1b, 3b (not well), and LF. Didnt cost much either.

- - - - - - - - - -

Skaggs would be a solid little addition that I would like, however, not sure for Dietrich though. I'd do Urena plus another prospect for him, then combine Dietrich and Ozuna for a SP, then sign a high risk high reward OF in free agency to replace Ozuna. The thing is that none of this is going to amount to much now that Jose is gone, which really fucking sucks.

- - - - - - - - - -

Reddick or maybe (very maybe) Carlos Gomez while combining Ozuna and Dietrich in a trade for a higher level SP would be a very good offseason to me. I dont think the indians would do it, but they kind of do need another OF bat, so if they made available Carrasco or Salazar we could revisit that deal with them in the offseason.

Realmuto
                            Bour/Platoon
                            Gordon
                            Hech (hopefully not, my least favorite player but the team loves him)
                            Prado
                            Gomez/Reddick
                            Yelich
                            Stanton

With a rotation of
                            Salazar/Carrasco
                            Conley
                            Chen
                            Skaggs
                            Nicolino/Urena/Koehler etc.

Not good, but not terrible.
                            We have been saying that about Valencia for years now. But we pass every time

Team loves Hech?? They love Rojas but they are trying to trade Hech and kinda kills his value if u start talking Rojas up to the point teams are like we can get him for nothing later

- - - - - - - - - -

Talking about getting guys for Nothing

Kendry Flores signed with St Louis

- - - - - - - - - -

Rule 5 Info

9 spots open and like article says probably 3 locks-Castillo,Steckenrider and Riddle. Maybe Dean just because they have ton of open spots and he is like the Goeddel kid Philly took last year

http://m.marlins.mlb.com/news/articl...-to-make-soon/
                            Last edited by tjfla; 11-17-2016, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                              Also suprised no one has posted about Chris Sale yet but don't look for us to be in on him. They want arms in high end arms in return plus more
                              the 5 of us left here all know we can't get Chris Sale

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
                                the 5 of us left here all know we can't get Chris Sale
                                Really Ozuna,Hech,Garrett couldnt get it done? HAHA

Well for the 5 of us-the #1 FA target just reported for us is Kenley Jansen!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X