No announcement yet.

Miami Marlins 2016 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't say he's a 1st round pick caliber ranking anymore. But he's not #26 yet. My original point was more he's actually played at some level while guys with no experience were ranked higher.

Comment

Anyways, I do agree with the above it's probably a .500ish team coming in next year doing nothing as the loss of Fernandez is probably mitigated and slightly improved from likely upticks in Stanton, Gordon, Chen, Phelps, Conley, and I guess Hech/Rojas have to be better somewhat.

I don't know where they can get the extra 6-8 projected wins though to get into a WC discussion. I guess Chapman/Kenley could be 2-3, Hill/Hellickson could be another 1-2, but there are really no other upgrade opportunities on the roster beyond that. That team is probably 3-5 games back (assuming everyone is healthy) with those 2 signings, so it'll really be up to Yelich to turn the corner into a 6+ WAR player, Stanton has that career year of 55 bombs we all dream of, and they have an unusually high win percentage of 1 run games.

Basically, not going to happen. Hopefully Loria can be the belle of the ball in July, and then reality sets in he is looking at spending $75+ million more for the team taking into account Stanton raises, the need for an ace, longterm signing of Ozuna, and likely an additional player or two to plug a hole, or a 4+ year rebuild, so he he is frustrated and sells.

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
        MLB.com currently has him listed at #4 (don't know how outdated that is). That's a pretty significant difference. I can't imagine Naylor being below a top 20 prospect in a farm.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just checked the article and Fangraphs has a ton of rookie ball players in the top 15 including a 16 year old. Not saying it's wrong but it seems projected potential is getting far more weight with Fangraphs than actual production.
        Top 5 in the Marlins or Angels is like Top 20 in other systems. I wouldn't be surprised if he dropped out of the Top 30 in the Padres system(They had the best IFA signings by far-spent over 30 million) by next midseason

Naylor wasn't 1st Rd caliber when we took him. The reason why we took him in the first is he gave us a discount AND they thought he had the most power in the draft. He showed barely any power in SAL(which is a left handed bat paradise) and looked as bad in the best place to hit in all of baseball

Comment

LOL Fredi is our third base coach
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Think we'd have interest in Greg Holland?

Comment

supposedly according to ESPN we are attending his workout
              Originally posted by Madman81
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Rodney's option was declined.

- - - - - - - - - -

Mike Pagliarulo is the new hitting coach. Frank Menechino remains the assistant hitting coach.

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                  Rodney's option was declined.

- - - - - - - - - -

Mike Pagliarulo is the new hitting coach. Frank Menechino remains the assistant hitting coach.
                  Hopefully he signs with a non contender that way we can trade a solid arm to get him back. No real spot for him in the pen but 90% of the other teams in MLB would have accepted the option

- - - - - - - - - -

Names we are looking at in FA include Blanton/Hammel/Travis Wood. So looks like we might be willing to spend some cash

Trade Ozuna and sign Wood. He can start,replace Dunn or play LF HAHA.

A note on Ozuna tho-they are telling teams they want a ML SP AND a young bat in return. No clue if mean 2016 ML bat or young guy who could be something but they are aiming high

Also DD is being shopped around hard to AL teams
                  Last edited by tjfla; 11-09-2016, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Threw this name out before but dont be surprised if Lourdes Gurriel gets a long look from us if the price is right to replace Ozuna in LF

Comment

• Tigers fielding calls on Miguel Cabrera.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                        Threw this name out before but dont be surprised if Lourdes Gurriel gets a long look from us if the price is right to replace Ozuna in LF
                        he's not expected to be major league ready

most say 2 years in the minors

Comment

• Bring Miggy Home

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
                            he's not expected to be major league ready

most say 2 years in the minors
                            Well I mentioned him because talk was we were one of 3 teams in on him and he was close to a decision BUT like usually we don't pay

Toronto gets another one. 7yr/22mil

Looks like one of their big bats will be gone. Amazing tho-get a guy who can play 3B or LF/RF or DH for 22 mil over 7 years instead of having to pay 20 mil a season
                            Last edited by tjfla; 11-11-2016, 01:13 PM.

Comment

• granted he was terrible, but why the fuck would we decline Rodney's option for next year? Only thing i could see is if maybe he was bad in the clubhouse, but i dont think he was.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                                granted he was terrible, but why the fuck would we decline Rodney's option for next year? Only thing i could see is if maybe he was bad in the clubhouse, but i dont think he was.
                                Because he costs like 3 or 4 million and wasnt lights out. We got Ramos,Phelps,Wittgren,Ellington,Bearclaw with others just waiting in AAA.(Steckenrider,Ogando)

Any contending team would likely keep him around for that price. Nothing new for us tho-we get rid of higher salary in the pen and then let 3 or 4 minor league FA battle it out every year(McGowan,Qualls)

Comment

Working...
                                X